JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
dogsbody70 (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

Who Do You Admire? - 08-16-2010, 10:56 AM

what famous or infamous people do you or have you admired in history?

For me its Beethoven, Mozart, Liszt,we still play their music after so long a time.

I admire those who built cathedrals and other wonderful architecture in praise of their GOD.
CHARLES DICKENs. So many it would take a very long list to choose.

The creators of communication- written language.
(#2 (permalink))
Old
Jaydelart (Offline)
ジェイデラート

08-16-2010, 07:25 PM

Nice question. There's too many to name/remember... but off the top of my head:
Albert Einstein, Joan of Arc, Abraham Lincoln, Audie Murphy, Bruce Lee, etc.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
edelweiss (Offline)
JF Old Timer

08-16-2010, 08:00 PM

I have always been fascinated by Joan or Arc as well, even though I have always been an atheist. Maybe because her words from her trial are completely documented as well as the testimony of people who can account for her unexplainable talents and abilities. Mark Twain is another person I have admired for his character, wit and talent. He wrote a very good book about Joan of Arc as he was fascinated by her as well. Howard Zinn who only recently passed away. James Burke because of my love for the TV series Connections though he is still alive.

There are scores of musicians, actors, designers and artists I admire. It's never easy for me to pick these things so this is off the top of my head from things around me in my living room.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
KylieHJensen (Offline)
JF Regular

08-16-2010, 09:02 PM

George Washington. Truly a gentleman and a hero.

"Knowledge is Power" ... Francis Bacon
凱麗黃珍森
(#5 (permalink))
Old
honoraryjapanesegirl (Offline)
Holy Dattebayo, Batman!!

Send a message via Yahoo to honoraryjapanesegirl
08-16-2010, 10:21 PM

Joan of Arc for me as well! ^_^ Abraham Lincoln, Gerard Way, My Mom and My Dad, our soldiers, and of course My God. XD

Those are just some off the top of my head, though I do have many more! ^_^

~...Why must the different be cast away, be cast into a deep, dark pit of loneliness, being mocked and scorned as the the enemy...and eventually...become it...?~
~HonoraryJapaneseGirl~
~.::{Akatsuki Clan Member--Leader of California}::.~
~.::{Michiko Manami}::.~

(#6 (permalink))
Old
Aniki (Offline)
JF's Road Roller

08-16-2010, 10:22 PM

Honeslty, no one.
(#7 (permalink))
Old
GoNative (Offline)

08-17-2010, 02:02 AM

Carl Sagan is always someone I admired greatly. He was without doubt one of the greatest science communicators during the last century and inspired many to think critically and skeptically about information they receive. Something I reckon we need a little more of these days! He's sadly missed.
(#8 (permalink))
Old
steven (Offline)
JF Old Timer

08-17-2010, 02:32 AM

[quote=dogsbody70;824614]
I admire those who built cathedrals and other wonderful architecture
QUOTE]

Something that is really cool about some of those old churches adn cathedrals is how the architecture affects the acoustics. It's amazing how that seemed to work out. The way that the sound travels through the buildings and the way the materials used change the sound is really incredible... I wonder how much science and math went into the designs back then.

In my younger days (no that I'm old or anything) there weren't too many people I admired. I did always admrie the generation that grew up during the Great Depression, then fought through World War II and Korea though... it seems like such a hard life to what people generally live today. If you read stories of how these people grew up it is comparable to a third world country by today's standards.

I can't remember when it was... but at some point America decided it would be a good idea to get first hand accounts of people who were living during the civil war era. I think stuff like that is very important and very interesting. It wouldn't be a bad idea to do that today with the generation who are in their mid-late 80's.

Now days, I seem to respect a lot of music people. Jazz musicians I think are not given enough credit for their creation of a genre of music which is very American. Also, on a semi related note, I play a lot of solo jazz guitar, but sometimes I wish I could play a real solo instrument. There is something so cool about having that single voice and being able to do a solo or contribute to a sound to create a whole that is much more beautiful than its individual voices. I think there is a lot to learn from that idea.
(#9 (permalink))
Old
dogsbody70 (Offline)

08-17-2010, 08:58 AM

what about the Japanese history?

that General who got his soldiers to build all those tunnels on IWO JIMA. From what I have read about him he was a GREAT MAN.Lieutenant General Tadamichi Kuribayashi. I'll post more on IWO JIMA thread.

who stands out in Japanese history?

Last edited by dogsbody70 : 08-18-2010 at 08:09 AM.
(#10 (permalink))
Old
Japania (Offline)
New to JF

08-17-2010, 08:37 PM

I admire those who observed the world humbly, thought and shared with the rest of humankind what they learnt humbly as well, and made us think, also. I'm not going to mention any name because there have been so many scientists, writers, etc, that did it that it would be unfair not to mention all of them.