JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
chiuchimu (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Lost in Transplating or Japaned - 10-07-2010, 02:51 AM

Sometimes when things go to Japan they get altered.

The smash hit Baumkuchen German cake is extremely popular this year in Japan, yet most Germans never heard of the thing.

In Japan, Girls give guys gifts during Valentines Day.

It's becoming a custom in Japan to have Kentucky fried chicken on Christmas, Neevr heard of that in America.

(#2 (permalink))
Old
Ryzorian (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

10-08-2010, 12:41 AM

Everyone takes things that are interesting to them from other cultures and tries to incorperate them into thier own. Most of American culture is prolly warped versions of everything else..combined.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
chiuchimu (Offline)
JF Old Timer

10-08-2010, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryzorian View Post
Everyone takes things that are interesting to them from other cultures and tries to incorperate them into thier own. Most of American culture is prolly warped versions of everything else..combined.
True, It's insightful to see what one culture 'gets' from another and how it is changed to suite that cultures need.

Other imports into Japan.

"get" = getting for free or very low cost
"Tension" = excitement

"Worcestershire Sauce" is called "sauce" and in Japan is missing the key ingredient anchovies.

7-11 stores in Japan sell Oden instead of hotdogs.

Corndogs in Japan are called American Dogs and in Hokaido(I believe) they are eaten coated in sugar.

(#4 (permalink))
Old
Qayin (Offline)
JF Old Timer

10-08-2010, 01:14 PM

I never know that the baum is not famous in Germany!? but I like it anyway (Bourbon is the best for me)

I think about Baum and Valentine (or to some extent brand name goods) is about marketing. Sometime culture evolve from marketing propaganda. I mean, look at Hokkaido's Gengkis Kahn yakiniku. I don't think it's Mongolian food, but the Japanese use this name to bring attention and the name struck.

If you have marketing creativity, you can create new culture!
(#5 (permalink))
Old
chiuchimu (Offline)
JF Old Timer

10-08-2010, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qayin View Post
I never know that the baum is not famous in Germany!? but I like it anyway (Bourbon is the best for me)

I think about Baum and Valentine (or to some extent brand name goods) is about marketing. Sometime culture evolve from marketing propaganda. I mean, look at Hokkaido's Gengkis Kahn yakiniku. I don't think it's Mongolian food, but the Japanese use this name to bring attention and the name struck.

If you have marketing creativity, you can create new culture!
It is German origin, but not famous throughout Germany. Most Germans won't know what a Buam is.

Same with Hormone yaki, It didn't exist until someone marketed it. I agree with Marketing affecting culture. I think the whole Christmas and Church wedding thing in Japan grew out of clever marketing. Know it's part of Japanese culture though most aren't Christians.

(#6 (permalink))
Old
Dayanx (Offline)
JF Regular

Send a message via MSN to Dayanx
10-11-2010, 11:53 PM

KFC on Christmas. There's a new one. I have an Android phone with an app called Spillmap on it. It is a google map based message board, and has a great translator on it so I like to see what different countries are talking about (also to chuckle at the engrish). Japan loves its food lol.

I loved reading about how the Pizza Hut has such a different menu there. I've never heard of a crab and daikon pizza before.

Last edited by Dayanx : 10-11-2010 at 11:57 PM.
(#7 (permalink))
Old
chiuchimu (Offline)
JF Old Timer

10-12-2010, 03:42 AM

Believe it or not, a lot of those wierd Japanese pizzas taste great!