JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#21 (permalink))
Old
charlygimes (Offline)
New to JF

10-29-2010, 11:22 AM

There was some drama last time I checked here. Too bad, because even though they are - that are not used something for a long time here at the expense of others - clearly remember the man Sashimister so well informed, and an asset to this community.
(#22 (permalink))
Old
Columbine (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

10-29-2010, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cranks View Post
And I have a mixed feeling about this. I'm a newbee, and don't know how he was before I came here, but he acted kind of too aggressive a couple of times I saw him. But at the same time, I know giving out advice is not easy even if you do understand the language completely. Well, I don't know what I want to say I just thought he deserved some attention.
He didn't use to be so explosive or sarcastic; i guess things just started getting to him more and more. As I said before, probably a good thing for him to take a step back, although I hope he doesn't feel like he never wants to check in ever again. IDK, i was never active in a thread where he kicked off, so I never said anything outright, but yeah...I agree he crossed the rude line a couple of times, rather without necessity.

Also Nagoyayankee =/= Sashimister; they were two different users, albeit similar stories. SM actually kind of stepped up fill the void that Nagoyayankee left in the language forum, not that he wasn't already contributing. Anyway, love him or hate him, SM was a total boon to JF; he gave the best and most accurate language advice and he was always around to answer questions. We've lost something pretty valuable.
(#23 (permalink))
Old
jesselt (Offline)
弱肉強食

10-29-2010, 09:58 PM

Not quite, Nagoyankee and Sashimister were indeed the same user... Not that it really matters of course.
(#24 (permalink))
Old
manganimefan227 (Offline)
星の翼

10-30-2010, 02:33 AM

A great role model Compared to others I've met in real life, he was pretty patient usually. Thank you very much for everything you've done!!

My Life Sucks- The kids I babysit have drooled, ripped or drawn on all of the cards and put the cars with the little people in the microwave!

I have no Friends- The cats have scratched and destroyed all of the DVDs!

I always owe someone- In fact I put two os in it!

I always ruin my clothes with Bleach!- The show is so dom suspensful I spill my grape soda on them!

But . . .I'll live.
(#25 (permalink))
Old
dogsbody70 (Offline)

10-30-2010, 12:08 PM

I believe that many many people have good reason to thank sashimister for his kindness and generosity sharing his knowledge with So Many.

He does deserve a really big THANKYOU from countless numbers who he has helped.
(#26 (permalink))
Old
Columbine (Offline)

11-03-2010, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesselt View Post
Not quite, Nagoyankee and Sashimister were indeed the same user... Not that it really matters of course.
Really? I missed a trick there, then. I take it back.
(#27 (permalink))
Old
steven (Offline)
JF Old Timer

11-05-2010, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Whoops, thanks. People say AdviceS around here but you're right Advise is a verb. Thanks for pointing out. I don't get corrected often anymore so it's really invaluable
Just to clarify, Advice is a noun and advise is a verb. Also for clarification, the "c" in advice is usually said as an "s" sound (it rhymes with nice). The "s" in advise is pronounced closer to a "z" (it rhymes with size).

So while advise is a verb and therefore can't be pluralized, advice, the noun, is used for both its plural and singular forms.

For example:
I advise you to see a doctor. (「医者に相談すればいいと思いますよ」みたいな言葉� �。。そんなよりも、もうちょっとかたいバージョンの� �な)

My doctor advised me to take some medicine. (「先生に薬を飲んだ方がいいよ」と言われた場合)

Thank you for your advice. (一つのこと言われたかいくつかのこと言われたかはっ� �りと分かりません)

I appreciate all the advice that everyone gave me. (皆にもらったアドバイスなので「advice」は複数形 になっていると思っとります。つまり、皆が一緒に考え たアドバスか、皆がそれぞれ考えたアドバイスをもらっ たでしょう。どっちも可能性があると思っとります。)

This is a mistake that I've seen a lot of study abroad students I have met make. A lot of Asian Americans (US natives) that I've met make this mistake too. I hope I've helped to clear this up! Also, I don't usually write Japanese so I hope you can understand it.

As for the subject at hand, I'd say that there were times when he was pretty straight foward to the point that he was harsh... I think that on the internet it's easy to think of the people you're talking to as one mass instead of as individuals... especially when you're answering the same questions over and over again. You have to know that you're gonna get the same questions time after time going into that kind of thing. Even if there's a person who you've taught something to before it's unlikely that they will remember what you told them perfectly after just one time... even if it is in writing. I'm sure there's more to it than that, but as a passer-by, that's kind of how I saw it.
(#28 (permalink))
Old
dogsbody70 (Offline)

11-05-2010, 05:07 PM

brilliant steven-- thanks for your knowledgeable input.
(#29 (permalink))
Old
cranks (Offline)
JF Old Timer

11-06-2010, 03:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven View Post
Just to clarify, Advice is a noun and advise is a verb. Also for clarification, the "c" in advice is usually said as an "s" sound (it rhymes with nice). The "s" in advise is pronounced closer to a "z" (it rhymes with size).

So while advise is a verb and therefore can't be pluralized, advice, the noun, is used for both its plural and singular forms.

For example:
I advise you to see a doctor. (「医者に相談すればいいと思いますよ」みたいな言葉� �。。そんなよりも、もうちょっとかたいバージョンの� �な)

My doctor advised me to take some medicine. (「先生に薬を飲んだ方がいいよ」と言われた場合)

Thank you for your advice. (一つのこと言われたかいくつかのこと言われたかはっ� �りと分かりません)

I appreciate all the advice that everyone gave me. (皆にもらったアドバイスなので「advice」は複数形 になっていると思っとります。つまり、皆が一緒に考え たアドバスか、皆がそれぞれ考えたアドバイスをもらっ たでしょう。どっちも可能性があると思っとります。)

This is a mistake that I've seen a lot of study abroad students I have met make. A lot of Asian Americans (US natives) that I've met make this mistake too. I hope I've helped to clear this up! Also, I don't usually write Japanese so I hope you can understand it.

As for the subject at hand, I'd say that there were times when he was pretty straight foward to the point that he was harsh... I think that on the internet it's easy to think of the people you're talking to as one mass instead of as individuals... especially when you're answering the same questions over and over again. You have to know that you're gonna get the same questions time after time going into that kind of thing. Even if there's a person who you've taught something to before it's unlikely that they will remember what you told them perfectly after just one time... even if it is in writing. I'm sure there's more to it than that, but as a passer-by, that's kind of how I saw it.
Oops, sorry, I was a bit hazy again.

I've heard some, many, native English speakers said something like
"I'll give you some adviceS", and I picked that bad grammar up from them. "advises" was a typo, I meant "advices", which is still incorrect. My attitude towards English had been that if the error was something even some native speakers made, it was OK. But it may be time for me to get a proper English writing class or at least be more assiduous in the fine points of the English language. I'll think it through. Thanks you steven, and Dogsbody.

Anyway, your Japanese is good but where did you pick up "思っとります"? Sashimister talked like that too

話を戻すと、

Yeah, some kind of a FAQ might have helped him and us.

Last edited by cranks : 11-06-2010 at 03:24 AM.
(#30 (permalink))
Old
CoolNard (Offline)
Yours Rightfully Insolent

Send a message via MSN to CoolNard
11-06-2010, 04:22 AM

Quote:
Yeah, some kind of a FAQ might have helped him and us.
Weren't the stickied forum rules and FAQ thread sufficient? Anyway, my input is: the fact that Sashimister was behaving aggressively was inexcusable, even if he was trying to prove a correct point. I have no doubt he was, and still is, a considerable key adviser here, but that doesn't give him higher rights to insult others. Sashimister should be old enough to discern his own limits; if he was burning out and getting really grouchy, he should have taken a break from the forum, of his own accord, not take it out on others. Native or not, adult or not, white or black - no one is above regulations.

I really hope next time someone has a vendetta, you'll take it up with the mods instead of attempting to resolve it yourself.

There's no such thing as happy endings, for when you find true love, happiness is everlasting.