Old
protheus (Offline)
Arthur et Les Minimoys

Send a message via Yahoo to protheus
11-01-2010, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogsbody70 View Post
whats it like being a student?
Annoying, boring, if you work in the same time.
Great if you stay at the campus and know how to live outside the learning environment.

But still you need to be prepared to be tormented by the teachers for a few years more, to be willing to learn is a must (since this level is already optional, if you drop, you drop on you're expense).

Quote:
Are you at a University or college?
I ended a University, in Business Analysis and International Trading Relations, ended the 3 years required by my employer, but I refused the diploma in the end. Wasn't really what i wanted.
Next, comes a Uni in Belgium, after a short 2 year brake, a medical one.

Quote:
Would you recommend it?
Yes, it's highly regarded and looked for on CV's by employers, so without it, even if you are better on the job, if someone comes with a diploma, you're going to be rejected on the spot.

Reverse psychology, "dear Watson", reverse psychology.
"Manganese? Is that manga language?" - lol?
(#12 (permalink))
Old
JasonTakeshi (Offline)
Conceptual Doubt

11-01-2010, 03:26 PM

University - International Relations (1st year).

Dropped Informatic Engineering (1st year) last year.

Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like.
(#13 (permalink))
Old
Suki (Offline)
armed with a mind

Send a message via MSN to Suki
11-01-2010, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissMisa View Post
OH YES. Haha. I'm using Maya, Flash, After Effects, Final Cut Pro, Mudbox, Zbrush, Photoshop, Painter... bleghh software attack!
YaY I know all of these! Flash gives me nightmares. I'm now using actionscript in Flash and I swear it's driving me insane. So you must be using a Mac to run Final Cut, at uni we're stuck with Avid and Premiere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinMask
I'm in my fourth and last year of university, doing English Literature honours. I have to totally agree with Suki's description of being a student. . . I mean, the first year is great, hardly any work and so easy, lots of free time, then with each year you get more and more and more work, it just all piles on. Eventually you end up with no free time, no social life, and what feels like a quarter-life crisis, lol.
Totally! Although I did not have a laid-back first year... but yeah back then I was only taking 4 subjects per trimester, now I'm forced to take 5 or 6 if I wanna finish my degree within two years, which I intend to.

everything is relative and contradictory ~
(#14 (permalink))
Old
dogsbody70 (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

11-02-2010, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinMask
I'm in my fourth and last year of university, doing English Literature honours. I have to totally agree with Suki's description of being a student. . . I mean, the first year is great, hardly any work and so easy, lots of free time, then with each year you get more and more and more work, it just all piles on. Eventually you end up with no free time, no social life, and what feels like a quarter-life crisis, lol.

HI Robin, what would you like to do when you leave Uni?
(#15 (permalink))
Old
dogsbody70 (Offline)

11-02-2010, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonTakeshi View Post
University - International Relations (1st year).

Dropped Informatic Engineering (1st year) last year.

International Relations seems a great subject to study? My goodness so much is so volatile. what would you like to do in that field once you have a degree?

Are you enjoying the Course?
(#16 (permalink))
Old
dogsbody70 (Offline)

11-02-2010, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yuko81 View Post
I'm a student in College in evening. I meet girls, ladies and practice English. It's interesting.
sounds good to me. LOL.
(#17 (permalink))
Old
Kasomi (Offline)
Languages Addict

Send a message via MSN to Kasomi
11-02-2010, 04:58 PM

I'm in my last year of university, in a translation bachelor's degree. Sometimes it sucks to be a student, but most of the time I just tell myself that I will get the job I want. I'm really looking forward to the end of it, though, it's been a rough semester since september.

僕は静かな見物人なんだよ。
すべてを見て、聞いているよ。

Sème le vent, récolte la tempête;
Sème le bonheur, tu récolteras l'amour.
(#18 (permalink))
Old
dogsbody70 (Offline)

11-02-2010, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasomi View Post
I'm in my last year of university, in a translation bachelor's degree. Sometimes it sucks to be a student, but most of the time I just tell myself that I will get the job I want. I'm really looking forward to the end of it, though, it's been a rough semester since september.

translation bachelors degree. That sounds great. what languages? I am sure there will always be work for someone like you.
(#19 (permalink))
Old
RobinMask (Offline)
JF Old Timer

11-02-2010, 05:11 PM

Post Deleted.

Last edited by RobinMask : 01-07-2018 at 11:46 AM.
(#20 (permalink))
Old
dogsbody70 (Offline)

11-02-2010, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinMask View Post
I'm actually planning to do what quite a few people here wish to do or have done, which is teach English as a foriegn language in Japan. I won't be able to get a visa until I get the degree certificate itself (or so I've been led to believe), so I'll have a few months until then free, where I'm planning to intensively study the language properly.

I'm hoping my degree subject, an intermediate understanding of Japanese and my mild teaching experience will give me some edge. I know it's a competitive field at the moment, but I have faith that if I work hard enough and apply for enough jobs that I'll be able to find something It'll just be for a year at first, to experience the culture, language, teaching as a career and other things . . . if I love it then I'll stay, and if not then I'll rethink my options and head back home. If finding a job is too difficult, then I'll get a TEFL and try again

HI ROBIN that sounds a good plan. I hope it will happen for you-- especially after all your hard work.

I used to have a penfriend from Pakistan-- a very wise person indeed, and he taught English Literature in Pakistan. He had a wonderful calmness and serenity about him. He used to send me CD's of Indian Music-- which I love.

Now with all the troubles out there-- I fear for him.

Good luck in your chosen career. to travel is to open ones eyes to the real world isn't it/ With EFL or similar skills you can teach almost anywhere in the world I believe. go for it!!!!!!!!!