(#81 (permalink))
Old
Suki (Offline)
armed with a mind

Send a message via MSN to Suki
12-01-2010, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yojimbo View Post
After that I'm planning to study MA in foreign country. I wanna go Canada, Cuba or Ireland for it.
Really? Why would you choose to go to a communist country such as Cuba, to study Marketing and Advertising...?

Plus, if you graduate, you might not be able to leave the country. Like, ever!

everything is relative and contradictory ~
(#82 (permalink))
Old
NightBird (Offline)
JF Regular

Send a message via MSN to NightBird Send a message via Skype™ to NightBird
12-03-2010, 12:35 PM

I'm at the last year of High School --' as a computer technician
Is European diploma are available in Japan?

After I'll do Programming-Analyst (probably)
(#83 (permalink))
Old
BobbyCooper (Offline)
Banned

05-03-2011, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ModusOperandi View Post
I'll be graduating next month from a University.
I guess all I can tell you about being a student is pretty self-explanatory. You live, you learn, you work, you whine here and there about the fees but remain a little relieved you get some kind of support from the school, the government and some organization or two that are willing to support you as long as you perform well. Blah, blah, blah. You relax when you can and then nearly pull out all your hair because you realize that you procrastinated to the point that you have to produce a lengthy research paper by the next day. Of course, you mange to pull it off and become so confident in your skills that you become a habitual procrastinator (it's a never-ending cycle, really).

Amongst all the demands of college life, you still make time for friends, family and other relationships....and before you know it, you've managed to claw yourself through all the turmoil. And what do you gain for your endurance? A piece of paper that supposedly makes you a better person in the eyes of others.

But perhaps this paper isn't just a prize, perhaps it's a document that proves to the world that you suffered like crazy, but managed to hang in there...all while learning a thing or two about your chosen discipline. A very desirable trait in the eyes of many, I'd say. So then, you take comfort in knowing that the more you suffer, the more desirable you become...sort of like that rugged man we all know whose body is filled with scars and, as a result, seems like a manly man to all the women who just can't seem to stop lusting over him. So you take this mentality with you and contemplate....applying to Graduate school *shudder*

With all my heart
....now, if you'll excuse me, I have some homework to get done before Monday.

Disclaimer: This experience isn't universal.
Quote:
Lol, no need to be excused when you're voicing your opinion. Yes, that's why I went to University. And yes, you go to learn about your chosen discipline (as I stated) and then some. However, it is still a piece of paper that only displays you went, paid and suffered through college. As hippy and cliche as this may sound, it's just another addition to the long list of societal norms. It's a piece of paper that doesn't, in any way or form, represent skill/level or knowledge as far as I'm concerned. It just gives you a leg up because you somehow sat through the edumacations. A group of people who haven't even stepped in college could probably run circles around you in programming, 3d/2d animation, game design, illustrations, geographical awareness, political awareness, medical knowledge, all forms of engineering etc. But in the end of the day, that piece of paper will "supposedly" make you the better candidate for no other reason than the fact that you have it...and even then, it's a gamble...since some people might value something more than that paper. That piece of paper, or even your transcript for that matter, doesn't measure what you can/cannot do. Some people are gifted in theory, some are gifted in practically. Some just meander through college, some sweat their butts off.

I'll be walking the podium and receiving that paper by the end of this semester; and, walking with me, will be some of the most stupidest people I've ever known alongside some of the smartest people I've had the opportunity of meeting.

Like I mentioned in the disclaimer, "the experience is not universal." Some people might read more into their degree, some people, like me, do not.
Quote:
MissMisa, I think having the ability to deal with people is mere common sense and doesn't really require a paid education

As for your other points, a person can make it into the industry via portfolios and demo reels, but will more than likely trail behind a less skilled individual with a degree.

While I support education (as I've explained twice already) in general and am glad to hear you're making the most of your time in college, I see no merit in that document that only acts as a "right of passage" in the professional world. I used to think this was the document that would set me apart and yada, yada, yada...but the more closer I get to the culmination of my undergrad, the more I realize how useless it is in practicality. It holds no record of what you can/cannot do but still gives you a boost (as Columbine and the fellow before me posted) over the other person who doesn't have the education but is more experienced. A bit cynical? Yes. But unfortunately, that's how society works.
Quote:
Your degree does not show the amount of knowledge you have in your brains. Do you have to settle for it? Yes. Is it a reflection of your efforts? no. After all, like I mentioned earlier, I'll be getting the same paper that geniuses and slackers will be getting. I'm guessing you will be too.
But I won't fight you on it. Like I mentioned a couple of times, It's what you make of it to be honest.

This is a very disturbing point of view Suki. I implore you to reflect on it at a deeper level.

--------------
@dogsbody70

Your statement about apprenticeship is very true. People invest too much into the theoretical aspects and fail when it comes to practicality. I've seen this several times during my time at retail. There's a 59-year-old lady who had been with the company for 15 years. She's so accustomed to the place that she does most of the managing duties for the freshly-graduated human resources employees. What's the difference between them? She didn't have a higher education. They, on the other hand, are radiating all the experience in the world they so happened to attain from college...(apparently because that paper said so).

The lady only makes around 16 dollars an hour working the floors with us(a significantly larger mount than what we earned due to her duration with the company). I get mixed emotions every time I see a freshly-graduated employees working in the higher departments (making in the upper $20) taking credit for what they didn't do. They always come looking for her asking "what should we do with this?" and "what do you think we should do about that?"

It's really a sad state if you ask me
Operandi, after reading all this I just had to make the effort to quote you to tell you how right you are and how truthful your posts have been. Everything was point on and almost equal to my own opinion about this subject.

Very well said Operandi and I hope others read this too.
(#84 (permalink))
Old
nellie1208 (Offline)
JF Regular

05-09-2011, 10:58 AM

I am a 4th year college student at a university.
It is good yet hard to be a student.
The happiest thing about being a student is the bonding with friends!!
Nothing can beat that, after a hard day filled with school works, I am hanging out with my friends. That is a stress reliever! Being a student is not easy, but it is much easier than being a worker. Lol. I am really really having fun to be a student. There are lot of experiences as well.
(#85 (permalink))
Old
dogsbody70 (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

05-09-2011, 11:50 AM

It must be lovely to have so many friends and often they come from all parts of the world-- some even get married later on.

Cameraderie is what makes us all happy and I hope you will still have your friends after you leave UNI. Its a bit like school too--one has good friends.

What do you hope to do when you leave Uni Nellie?

Actually I believe that my Japanese friend who has been going to a language school here in UK for several years loves it because of all the friends she makes from around the world-- and they are mostly young- compared to her. She is almost seventy!! She worked for a big Electic company in Japan for very many years and now she is taking a chance to follow some of her dreams. She was exploited by the company and told me that she was the only woman taking on many responsibilities for that Company. TEPCO. She worked such long hours without any overtime payment. She was part of an organisation that was/is trying to improve working conditions for women in Japan. By the way she is lodging with a lovely Phillipino lady. This lady also has some extremely handsome Indian students staying with her. Oh If only I were young and beautiful!!!

Last edited by dogsbody70 : 05-09-2011 at 11:58 AM.
(#86 (permalink))
Old
dogsbody70 (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

05-09-2011, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShiroiHana View Post
I'm in my 4th year at university, studying linguistics and translation.

Yeah its great to be a student. I have to get at least a BA.
I know its a bit late in the day but I would think that studying linguistics and translation wil be really useful for you. There must be a vast need for your talents.