LinkBack Thread Tools
(#21 (permalink))
Old
siokan (Offline)
JF Old Timer

11-10-2010, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotinthesky View Post
I will be visiting Japan in November for 10 days at the end of the month. I am Scottish and regularly wear my kilt throughout the year I mentioned that I would be wearing it whilst travelling in Japan, and was told that most people would think, I was wearing a skirt, and would get unwelcome attention as a result.

I plan to travel during my 10 day visit and don't want to offend local customs or feel uncomfortable myself by being inappropriately dressed. I have had no problems anywhere else in the world, and imagine my friend ( a native Japanese woman) may be wrong.

Any thoughts/advice?
It has no problem in practical use.
I think that there are a lot of people who see deliberately because it is unusual in Japan.

Japanese sense
National costume = Formal wear

Please permit poor English. orz
Cryptanalysis is necessary for you.
set a goal:English at the same level as Johan Cruyff
(#22 (permalink))
Old
steven (Offline)
JF Old Timer

11-10-2010, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogsbody70 View Post
well they wear dark green boxer type shorts--apparently it coulld be extremely painful with the kilt material rubbing the nether regions. I am open to hear from the gentleman here who wears his kilt.)

In a way I have to laugh. Do men think that women in skirts or dresses don't wear some sort of pantie?

I know some are rather stringy-- but surely the Majority must do.

My scots husband looks great in his scots outfit

Your Kilt Ps this is Not my husband LOL

well on here I believe the truth-- although I read elsewhere that it is painful Not to wear undergarment.

Guess you pays your money and takes your choice

What is worn under kilts?
I've just heard that they don't wear underwear witha kilt... I've seen a scottish punk band perform and the singer mooned the crowd and you could see it all (an experience unfortunately etched in my mind). Incidentally I have seen a "Scotland" video from Japan (which was part of a series). In that video in particular the kilt was shown a number of times. One time a man wearing one spun around and you could see his backside a bit.

I know women (at least most of them) wear panties with skirts, but I was honestly under the impression that underwear wasn't supposed to be worn with a kilt!

Kilt - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Once you're on the page, press and hold your CTRL key and then press F. A search bar or window should appear. Then type in underwear or just under and you'll see what I mean.

"Tradition has it that a "true Scotsman" should wear nothing under his kilt"
(#23 (permalink))
Old
dogsbody70 (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

11-10-2010, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven View Post
I've just heard that they don't wear underwear witha kilt... I've seen a scottish punk band perform and the singer mooned the crowd and you could see it all (an experience unfortunately etched in my mind). Incidentally I have seen a "Scotland" video from Japan (which was part of a series). In that video in particular the kilt was shown a number of times. One time a man wearing one spun around and you could see his backside a bit.

I know women (at least most of them) wear panties with skirts, but I was honestly under the impression that underwear wasn't supposed to be worn with a kilt!

Kilt - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Once you're on the page, press and hold your CTRL key and then press F. A search bar or window should appear. Then type in underwear or just under and you'll see what I mean.

"Tradition has it that a "true Scotsman" should wear nothing under his kilt"
yes Stephen I actually put up a site also about that.

also we used to do alot of scottish and highland dancing-- and my husband Always wore his shorts.
(#24 (permalink))
Old
steven (Offline)
JF Old Timer

11-11-2010, 01:10 AM

Well, I'm happy to be educated and I'm glad that people do wear some shorts under there. I'm not trying to knock your husband, but I think I speak for most guys when I say nobody cares to know what's going on down there .

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but "kilts=no underwear" as far as the American perspective goes (I'm from California if that makes a difference).

But yea, I'm pretty excited about the fact that I learned something Scottish on the JapanForum.

Let us know how it goes Scotinthesky!
(#25 (permalink))
Old
Sangetsu (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

11-11-2010, 08:37 AM

My family is from Scotland, and my aunt had the wonderful idea of presenting me with a full outfit, including a kilt, as a gift some time back. I've never worn it in public. My relatives still own a large home in Scotland, and I have been thinking of visiting, but I have no doubt that they wouldn't be happy unless I spent some time wearing my kilt during my visit.

I've been to a couple embassy parties where I've seen people wearing kilts, needless to say they attract a lot of attention in Tokyo, even more attention than the Japanese men who you can sometimes see walking around town in mini skirts and fishnet stockings.
(#26 (permalink))
Old
JamboP26 (Offline)
日本オタク

Send a message via MSN to JamboP26
11-11-2010, 09:24 AM

Traditionally, the kilt is worn without underwear. A joke that was picked up on, on The Simpsons when Bart attached helium balloons to Groundkeeper Willie's kilt. lol. I think a few people where underwear under the kilt now, just in case a strong breeze blows it up and then your done by the law for indecent exposure. lol.

I'm a Cafe-kko, Nyappy in the World. But GazeRock is not dead. 「Sixth Gun」です

An Cafe, Vidoll, Versailles, Dir En Grey, Deathgaze, the GazettE, alice nine., UVERworld, Kiryu , YUI, AKB48, Buono!, Berryz Koubou, C-ute, S/mileage, Morning Musume, Zoro, Lolita23Q, Visual Kei, Oshare Kei, J-Rock, J-Pop, Idol groups FTW (≧∀≦)