LinkBack Thread Tools
(#51 (permalink))
Old
Ronin4hire (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

11-15-2010, 12:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingsToDiscovery View Post
But what makes this different is that it's a collective opinion. This collective opinion turns into a general consensus. This general consensus turns into a description.
Is it a consensus? I've already given an example of the types of people that some of my classmates call "Weabos" earlier in the thread. I personally don't think this way... though I similarly don't understand such people I don't look down on them. The thing is that the majority of people on here would be classed as Weabos to them.

It is likely that what you think is a general consensus is just a consensus amongst your social group.. the people you get.

Quote:
I'll tell you a really short story. My first year of college I met this guy who was OBSESSED with Japan. He'd never been to the country. He told me, "I've given up on America, I want to live my life in Japan."
This, my friend, is being a weaboo.
So you say.. see above.

Quote:
Like I said, this is moot. If everything is taken as relative then we wouldn't be able to give a description to anything. This isn't thinking in practical terms.
I'm not saying that everything is taken as relative. I'm saying that some things can be defined objectively. Weabo is not something that is.
(#52 (permalink))
Old
WingsToDiscovery (Offline)
JF Noob

11-15-2010, 12:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iPhantom View Post
Urban Dictionary is written by /b/tards. I've written so much crap there. Unreliable 99% of the time.
You're a /b/tard if you take those definitions as being serious or as credible definitions.

I'm not a cynic; I just like to play Devil's Advocate once in a while.
My photos from Japan and around the world:
http://www.flickr.com/dylanwphotography
(#53 (permalink))
Old
iPhantom (Offline)
is a pretty cool guy

Send a message via AIM to iPhantom Send a message via MSN to iPhantom Send a message via Skype™ to iPhantom
11-15-2010, 01:00 AM

Quote:
You're a /b/tard if you take those definitions as being serious or as credible definitions.
Hence I said 'written'. I've given up on having a troll life.

Quote:
Since when is it immature to talk about pudding? Seriously, do you know the meaning of mature?
(#54 (permalink))
Old
Ronin4hire (Offline)

11-15-2010, 01:01 AM

Quote:
Urban Dictionary is written by /b/tards. I've written so much crap there. Unreliable 99% of the time.

Enyclopedia Brittanica says:

"weeaboo (noun): a non-Japanese person exhibiting an obsessive admiration for Japanese anime that often extends to the broader Japanese culture"
Two things...

I said defined OBJECTIVELY. You do realise that ALL words have definitions. Some are relative and some are not but most can be found in the dictionary.

Second of all.. linking urban dictionary is pretty lame. It's hardly a dictionary.

Let's copy and paste the FULL definition it gives.

Quote:
Someone who is obsessed with Japan/Japanese Culture/Anime, etc. and attempts to act as if they were Japanese, even though they're far from it. They use Japanese words but usually end up pronouncing them wrong and sounding like total assholes. You can find alot of these faggots clogging up the forums of Gaia Online, hanging out in the international aisle of the supermarket, or crowding the manga section of your local bookstore. Synonym of wapanese.
(#55 (permalink))
Old
Ronin4hire (Offline)

11-15-2010, 01:03 AM

Quote:
Why are you using it as a source to prove your point then?
(#56 (permalink))
Old
JasonTakeshi (Offline)
Conceptual Doubt

11-15-2010, 01:04 AM

Quote:
A weeaboo is someone who is obsessed with Japanese stuff. It's as simple as that. I have no idea why are you arguing about word definitions here...
Damn it's you. All aboard the fail boat.

OD: Ronin you're hilarious. Keep going dude you're over 9000.

Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like.
(#57 (permalink))
Old
iPhantom (Offline)
is a pretty cool guy

Send a message via AIM to iPhantom Send a message via MSN to iPhantom Send a message via Skype™ to iPhantom
11-15-2010, 01:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin4hire View Post
Two things...

I said defined OBJECTIVELY. You do realise that ALL words have definitions. Some are relative and some are not but most can be found in the dictionary.

Second of all.. linking urban dictionary is pretty lame. It's hardly a dictionary.

Let's copy and paste the FULL definition it gives.
Uh, what, I used Encyclopedia Brittanica, not UD.

And no, the real point is people use the word 'Weeaboo' in wrong situations, such as your friends. That happens for so many other words. Like 'emo' for e.g. we call emos everyone who puts a lot of black eyeliner nowadays because we love to mock people. It's just bad usage, not objective meaning.

Quote:
Since when is it immature to talk about pudding? Seriously, do you know the meaning of mature?
(#58 (permalink))
Old
JF Noob

11-15-2010, 01:07 AM

Quote:
It is likely that what you think is a general consensus is just a consensus amongst your social group.. the people you get.
Or everyone here who as already given the general definition that it's someone who is hyper obsessed with Japan.

Quote:
So you say.. see above.
I've already told this story on this forum before, so I'm not pulling it out of my ass for the sake of validity of this particular debate. Take it for what you will, but that's my staunch affirmation that there are such things as weaboos.

Quote:
I'm not saying that everything is taken as relative. I'm saying that some things can be defined objectively. Weabo is not something that is.
I mean I've met people that are a little bit too over enthusiastic about Japan for my liking also.

But to someone who has no interest in Japan at all and that has contempt for people who are interested in Japan... then WE are the Weabos to them.

It's relative.

Well that's what you said before, so forgive me for the assumption.

(#59 (permalink))
Old
iPhantom (Offline)
is a pretty cool guy

11-15-2010, 01:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonTakeshi View Post
Damn it's you. All aboard the fail boat.
Let's make love.

Quote:
(#60 (permalink))
Old
JF Noob

11-15-2010, 01:09 AM

Quote:
Why are you using it as a source to prove your point then?
Because it was a joke.

Closed Thread