(#41 (permalink))
Old
Suki (Offline)
armed with a mind

Send a message via MSN to Suki
12-02-2010, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogsbody70 View Post
most trains are not running in the south east. deep snow everywhere.

Most buses also not running. think I'l stay at home-- oh the joys of being retired.. GATWICK AIRPORT CLOSED.
Awh that sucks. See? Snow is good for no one, unless you're high up located on a skiing resort. But seriously, snow is so inconvenient. It looks pretty on pictures and makes a nice scenary, that's about it.

everything is relative and contradictory ~
(#42 (permalink))
Old
dogsbody70 (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

12-02-2010, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suki View Post
Awh that sucks. See? Snow is good for no one, unless you're high up located on a skiing resort. But seriously, snow is so inconvenient. It looks pretty on pictures and makes a nice scenary, that's about it.
the kids are loving it!!!!

So seldom do we get snow-- so its great fun for the kids with their sledges etc. do you go skiing at all?
(#43 (permalink))
Old
seiki (Offline)
aww fiegal

12-02-2010, 03:30 PM

Right now the weather is 29 f and the hi is suposed to be in the 70's. It gets old wearing a coat in the sun so I usually go without one since there is no where to leave during the day.
(#44 (permalink))
Old
GoNative (Offline)

12-02-2010, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suki View Post
Well where I live we average more snow than just about any other town on the planet and we're located just 178m above sea level. We average a little over 12m of snowfall each winter and normally get snowdepths from about 1.8 to 2.5m by the end of Feb.

To give you an idea of what it's like the photo below from my bedroom window was taken back on 26 Oct this year.

And this was back on 7 Feb earlier this year (it got even deeper by early March)

It takes some getting used to living in an environment like this and shoveling snow all the time just to get in the front door each evening does lose it's appeal after awhile but I love snow and love living in it.
(#45 (permalink))
Old
spicytuna (Offline)
JF Old Timer

12-02-2010, 03:38 PM

These pictures were taken 48hrs apart.

The first one was taken on Sunday in Himeji, Japan. The second was taken on Tuesday at my home.

(#46 (permalink))
Old
dogsbody70 (Offline)

12-02-2010, 04:07 PM

thanks for showing us those.

GN-- you chose to live amongst the snow-- wonder what your wife thinks of it compared to Australia.

spicy tuna-- what a contrast----------- that house in Japan looks quite big-- or is it apartments.

which do you prefer. Canada is known for its snow isn't it?
(#47 (permalink))
Old
GoNative (Offline)

12-02-2010, 04:18 PM

Not all houses in Japan are small. Many are pretty damned big, especially in rural areas where space isn't such an issue. The whole thing of people living in apartments barely as big as a closet is mostly in major cities like Tokyo or Osaka.
(#48 (permalink))
Old
dogsbody70 (Offline)

12-02-2010, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoNative View Post
Not all houses in Japan are small. Many are pretty damned big, especially in rural areas where space isn't such an issue. The whole thing of people living in apartments barely as big as a closet is mostly in major cities like Tokyo or Osaka.
ah thanks for that GN.
(#49 (permalink))
Old
spicytuna (Offline)
JF Old Timer

12-02-2010, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogsbody70 View Post
spicy tuna-- what a contrast----------- that house in Japan looks quite big-- or is it apartments.

which do you prefer. Canada is known for its snow isn't it?
It's a pretty big house. Probably around 2200 sq. ft. but like GoNative mentioned, it's a rural location about 30 minutes from Himeji castle.

My area in Canada is known for its snow but it definitely arrived early this year.

My dream is to spend my winters and summers in Canada and spring and autumn in Japan.
(#50 (permalink))
Old
dogsbody70 (Offline)

12-03-2010, 04:36 PM

lets hope your dream will be fulfilled spicytuna.

Here there is still much snow-- although I believe the airports are open.