LinkBack Thread Tools
(#11 (permalink))
Old
dogsbody70 (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

12-05-2010, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingsToDiscovery View Post
I think we have somewhat of a general consensus on this. My problem however is that you're using the word "cosmetic surgery" as a definitive word. I have a friend who recently had cosmetic surgery. The procedure he had literally no correlation to his physical health or physical well being, but instead to help alleviate the mental trauma he'd faced his entire life.

"In that case if there is a way to enhance his or her life mentally or emotionally then of course-- but isn't it more like a fashion fad these days?

I'm no talking about people born with something about their bodies that causes them upset or grief-- I'm really thinking of those who have it done because their friends have had it done.
It obviously helps many people who actually NEED it-- but for those who doit for the sake of fashion or fad-- ?

But even if it is just some girl looking to get a boob job or nose job or whatever, you can't just disregard the psyche behind why she wants to do it, why she feels inadequate, and what can be done to help her after she's still not satisfied after the procedure, which is a common case. This opens the doors to a much deeper meaning as to why people go through these procedures from a mental standpoint. Some of these people could be considered "sick" for lack of a better term, if they're willing to mutilate themselves based on what they've seen on TV. So don't you think these people would be better off getting some kind of help rather than being chastised for being "artificial?"

I believe there is a word-- that eludes me-- where a person does not see their true image when they look in a mirror-- but their idea about their looks which is mostly in their own mind.

I wondered if it was world wide in popularity.?
A lot of it is about being happy within ones own body or having poor self esteem and trying to make oneself look like Celebs etc.

It is similar to those who starve themselves because they believe they are too fat-- when they really are normal.

pLEASE FORGIVE THE WAY i HAVE ANSWERED i STILL DO NOT KNOW HOW TO SEPARATE QUOTES ALTHOUGH COLUMBINE HAD TOLD ME WHAT TO DO. bABS. bY THE WAY i AM NOT CHASTISING ANYBODY-- ITS UP TO THEM WHAT THEY DO WITH THEIR OWN BODY.

mAYBE ITS MY GENERATION THAT FINDS IT ODD.

Last edited by dogsbody70 : 12-05-2010 at 02:09 PM.
(#12 (permalink))
Old
tvfan (Offline)
New to JF

12-05-2010, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogsbody70 View Post
Cosmetic surgery seems to be very popular now.

Is there the same interest in Japan?

Do men appreciate women who have had cosmetic surgery or all they use to try to look younger.
think it's picking up more and more in Japan. When I was there this summer I noticed people talking about it. In Korea it's insanely popular, around 70% of women in their 20s

What percent of Korean girls/woman actually get plastic surgery? - Yahoo! Answers

Ask a Korean!: Korean Women -- Fixer-Uppers?

I think men do appreciate it though
(#13 (permalink))
Old
dogsbody70 (Offline)

12-05-2010, 03:30 PM

thanks for that although I am not a fan of statistics at all.

I have many things that could do with improving on my own body-- I am in my mid seventies LOL--- but its more likely to be hip and knee replacements.

Trying to be active and keeping fit must help for sure.

Its a good job I am not a plastic surgeon-- my sewing is so bad that all the stitches would unravel in no time------------
(#14 (permalink))
Old
dogsbody70 (Offline)

12-05-2010, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealJames View Post
I'm going to take a risk and go on-topic by trying to answer the OP rather than taking this conversation down the expected path of "is it good or not"

I teach English in Japan, as a result I meet people from pretty much all walks of life, even English haters. One of my most popular lessons is about piercings/tattoos/plastic-surgery.

I'd have to say that about 1% of my students have had plastic surgery if not less. Everyone seems to have a very strong idea of exactly what they would get if they did get it done, and yes eye-lids is one of the most popular, along with nose enlargement lol.
Either way, it doesn't seem to have caught on very much here, it's not shunned really but it's not seen in a good light. It is assumed, though, that a celebrity will have had it done, as a career requirement practically.

The one rationale I always get for "Why not do it?" is always "I can just use make up to make myself prettier ... "

So, that is the mentality of the vast majority of Japanese women I teach.
thankyou so much for your comments.

fascinating.
(#15 (permalink))
Old
missprincess (Offline)
Bonnie lass from England

12-05-2010, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brass View Post
I'm actually considering plastic surgery myself. In America looks are the most important thing you can offer to the opposite sex (sadly). America is a *VERY* superficial place. Probably the most superficial on earth.
the same problem is now apparant in the UK - although not as severe we have alot of documentaries and campaigns to encourage natural beauty like the dove campaign and 'coleens real women', i love my country for that! however ive noticed PS can be very severe in asia, eg they get there jaws broken and reshaped - their eyes redone - all to look more western - check the before and after pics of honey lee for example! its really sad because i think asian features are AMAZING! esp the guys

Don't make someone a priority....... if your nothing more than an option to them

How can the world end at 2012 when my yogurt expires in 2013?
(#16 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

12-05-2010, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by missprincess View Post
the same problem is now apparant in the UK - although not as severe we have alot of documentaries and campaigns to encourage natural beauty like the dove campaign and 'coleens real women', i love my country for that! however ive noticed PS can be very severe in asia, eg they get there jaws broken and reshaped - their eyes redone - all to look more western - check the before and after pics of honey lee for example! its really sad because i think asian features are AMAZING! esp the guys
Why do you come to the conclusion that Asian women get plastic surgery to look like white women?
(#17 (permalink))
Old
missprincess (Offline)
Bonnie lass from England

12-05-2010, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
Why do you come to the conclusion that Asian women get plastic surgery to look like white women?
ive seen a few documentaries on it -- eg jessica simpson 'the price of beauty' she went to japan and investigated it

Don't make someone a priority....... if your nothing more than an option to them

(#18 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

12-05-2010, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by missprincess View Post
ive seen a few documentaries on it -- eg jessica simpson 'the price of beauty' she went to japan and investigated it
You have seen a few documentaries that say Asian women get plastic surgery in order to look like white women?

I would like to hear more about these shows. I am familiar with the Jessica Simpson one, but I would not conclude that the reason all women in Asia get blepharoplast (eye widening procedure) because they want to look white. For a certain percentage, with that one procedure, that may be true, but larger eyes are considered attractive in practically all cultures, and it's not because white people generally have wider eyes. It makes one look younger and more expressive.

In Korea, for example, a lot of people get this procedure done, but nowadays it is almost expected and a sign of upper crust culture, not of looking western.
(#19 (permalink))
Old
missprincess (Offline)
Bonnie lass from England

12-05-2010, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
You have seen a few documentaries that say Asian women get plastic surgery in order to look like white women?

I would like to hear more about these shows. I am familiar with the Jessica Simpson one, but I would not conclude that the reason all women in Asia get blepharoplast (eye widening procedure) because they want to look white. For a certain percentage, with that one procedure, that may be true, but larger eyes are considered attractive in practically all cultures, and it's not because white people generally have wider eyes. It makes one look younger and more expressive.

In Korea, for example, a lot of people get this procedure done, but nowadays it is almost expected and a sign of upper crust culture, not of looking western.
i dont remember the name of every documentary because i saw them a while back, but im just going on what i saw, not what im making up - the asian girls were getting there whole faces smashed and redone to make it more like the models in western magazines - and having double eyelid procedures, i dont think that is to look more asian -

(#20 (permalink))
Old
Ronin4hire (Offline)

12-05-2010, 08:50 PM

Yeah I'm with MMM here.

If Asian women are trying to look white by getting certain facial surgery, then by the same logic white women are trying to look black with their tanning attempts and breast and butt enhancements.

Of course both assertions are absurd.