JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
dogsbody70 (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

baby hatches-- SAFE PlaceS TO LEAVE A BABY - 12-21-2010, 03:09 PM

Baby hatch - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I have seen some programmes where a safe haven is provided to leave an unwanted baby.

Often a desperate girl or woman who has a baby-- but for some reason cannot care for it-- Or possibly needs to Hide Her pregnancy and new born baby-- would leave a baby somewhere where she hoped it would be quickly found-- then placed in a good home.

I doubt this happens as much as it used to do-- But do you think its a good thing to provide theseSafe Havens--baby Hatches for a baby-- rather than run the risk of the child not being found in time.

One sees programmes where adult foundlings are very keen to know where they were left-- and to try to trace their background.

does Japan provide this sort of thing? does your own country have such places?
(#2 (permalink))
Old
Suki (Offline)
armed with a mind

Send a message via MSN to Suki
12-21-2010, 03:38 PM

Medieval days are long gone. You can put the baby up for adoption right quick after giving birth, that way you make sure he gets a family from a very young age. Dropping him off at some place, hoping he gets found... doesn't seem like an option I'd recommand.

everything is relative and contradictory ~
(#3 (permalink))
Old
RobinMask (Offline)
JF Old Timer

12-21-2010, 03:47 PM

Post Deleted.

Last edited by RobinMask : 01-07-2018 at 12:42 PM.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
JohnBraden (Offline)

12-21-2010, 03:59 PM

Here in the States there are places where one can 'drop off' an unwanted child without any repercussions, such as fire stations, police stations, etc. What happens a bit too much here is that girls hide their pregnancies and deliver the kids themselves without any medical supervision. They do so because they don't want the families to know so they would 'discard' them in trash bins. Officials took notice and set these safe depositories so those newly born children would survive.

Last edited by JohnBraden : 12-21-2010 at 07:23 PM.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
dogsbody70 (Offline)

12-21-2010, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suki View Post
Medieval days are long gone. You can put the baby up for adoption right quick after giving birth, that way you make sure he gets a family from a very young age. Dropping him off at some place, hoping he gets found... doesn't seem like an option I'd recommand.
well medieval or NOT it does still happen.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
dogsbody70 (Offline)

12-21-2010, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBraden View Post
here in the States there are places where one can 'drop off' an unwanted child without any repercussions, such as fire stations, police stations, etc.what happens a bit too much here is that girls hide their pregnancies and deliver the kids themselves without any medical supervision. They do so because they don't want the families to know so they would 'discard' them in trash bins. Officials took notice and set these safe depositories so those newly born children would survive.

Hello John, yes its not wanting anyone to know that can definitely be a reason. Poor girls being so desperate having to give birth all alone. How terrifying must that be.

Of course not so long ago it was very common-- when it WAS a sin to have a child out of wedlock-- even in the 1960's too many babies were forcibly removed from a mother to give away for adoption.

If society had not been so bigoted-- plus the CHURCH who was terribly bigoted-- many of those mothers could have kept their child-- but there was so little social support for them.

those who have been brought up taking it for granted that its okay to have a child out of wedlock-- possibly may not realise how cruel it was-- And that was not so long ago.

There are far less young babies available for adoption nowadays because there is far more help available than there ever was before.
(#7 (permalink))
Old
dogsbody70 (Offline)

12-21-2010, 04:28 PM

It sounds heartless to me.

JOHN BRADEN Edit: I kind of feel like adding that it reduces the child to nothing more than an object, something to be discarded whenever the mother feels like. If the child was given up for adoption, especially if the mother helps to choose the adoptive parent, that I could understand. . . but to cast it aside into a hatch without a second glance? It's no different to throwing out an old teddy or toy and just hoping someone picks it up off the pavement, it's almost monstrous how uncaring it is, how someone could see a human life as being worthless, as equal to an object.[/quote]

I would say it is DESPERATION John. surely you don't think a mother will do that easily?
(#8 (permalink))
Old
RobinMask (Offline)
JF Old Timer

12-21-2010, 04:39 PM

Post Deleted.

Last edited by RobinMask : 01-07-2018 at 12:42 PM.
(#9 (permalink))
Old
JohnBraden (Offline)

12-21-2010, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogsbody70 View Post
It sounds heartless to me.

JOHN BRADEN Edit: I kind of feel like adding that it reduces the child to nothing more than an object, something to be discarded whenever the mother feels like. If the child was given up for adoption, especially if the mother helps to choose the adoptive parent, that I could understand. . . but to cast it aside into a hatch without a second glance? It's no different to throwing out an old teddy or toy and just hoping someone picks it up off the pavement, it's almost monstrous how uncaring it is, how someone could see a human life as being worthless, as equal to an object.

I would say it is DESPERATION John. surely you don't think a mother will do that easily?[/quote]

Well, these pregnancies happen because the kids having sex, and they ARE kids, don't know what the repercussions to "getting laid" are and don't use protection, etc. There are so many women here who have kids from several men that it sickens me that I'm paying into their welfare checks because they don't know any better.
When one is young and doesn't know the repercussions, they get rid of them like an unwanted toy, totally desensitizing them in the future...(the women, I mean to say)

I'd have to say that in China, things are so much worse.... Dumping girls (aren't asian girls so cute?!) in the trash to die because of the "one child rule". They want boys, not girls. That's why most of the adoptions in China are girls. I know the government has cracked down on this practice of getting pregnant until they have a boy, discarding the unwanted girls. I'm sure it still happens quite a bit in the more rural areas of China...
I must emphasize here, in no way am I condoning these courses of action....

Last edited by JohnBraden : 12-22-2010 at 02:32 AM.
(#10 (permalink))
Old
Umihito (Offline)
JF Old Timer

12-21-2010, 05:24 PM

I'm not too sure.
Here in the UK there's been a lot of babies being dumped by their mothers lately, where they've been found dead. In my area alone there has been 2 cases recently.
Although those baby hatches leave no way for the mother to be traced, or for the child to know who the mother is when he/she grows up, surely it's a better option than the baby dying.
As far as the mother's post-natal depression etc goes, she would have that whether the baby is put in the hatch or not, so it may as well be there to save the baby's life.
As far as I know of, there's no such things here in the UK.