JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#11 (permalink))
Old
dogsbody70 (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

12-25-2010, 01:02 PM

well tell me of a legal download site and I will try.

Most of it is classical and speech.

THANKS ANYWAY.
(#12 (permalink))
Old
Aniki (Offline)
JF's Road Roller

12-25-2010, 02:31 PM

What classical music and who's speeches?
Just so you know, there is no global audio site where you can find any track simply by typing classical music. If you want help, be more specific.
(#13 (permalink))
Old
dogsbody70 (Offline)

12-25-2010, 07:12 PM

ah well not to worry I'll sort it eventually.
(#14 (permalink))
Old
seiki (Offline)
aww fiegal

12-25-2010, 11:01 PM

You will find mixed reviews of the downloading of music that you own on one form of media to another. Some lawyers believe it is legal to let's say copy or even download an lo onto your computer while others would consider it illegal. Some triple say you only purchase one copy of music such as a cd and that means you should not even rip it to your library. The point is technology and copyright laws will not always be on the same page. So I say download like crazy while the getting is good.
(#15 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

12-25-2010, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seiki View Post
You will find mixed reviews of the downloading of music that you own on one form of media to another. Some lawyers believe it is legal to let's say copy or even download an lo onto your computer while others would consider it illegal. Some triple say you only purchase one copy of music such as a cd and that means you should not even rip it to your library. The point is technology and copyright laws will not always be on the same page. So I say download like crazy while the getting is good.
As long as you are not selling or distributing your copies you are on solid legal ground. A company cannot go after you and won't waste their time if there are no damages, and if you transfer a copy of a symphony concert from a cassette to MP3, there are no damages to the musicians.

But this isn't really what she was asking about, is it?

This seems to be the most clear cut, simple, and cheap way to accomplish what you want to do.

How to record cassette tapes to PC/Computer
(#16 (permalink))
Old
seiki (Offline)
aww fiegal

12-26-2010, 05:23 AM

I was just pointing out that I read transferring your albums could be considered theft by the record companies. But on a more important note.

Dogsbody is a girl?!

Though a simple profile click shows me this.
(#17 (permalink))
Old
dogsbody70 (Offline)

12-26-2010, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seiki View Post
I was just pointing out that I read transferring your albums could be considered theft by the record companies. But on a more important note.

Dogsbody is a girl?!

Though a simple profile click shows me this.
OH SEIKI how I wish I was still a girl. sighs-- long past that but in myheart and mind I am LOl.
(#18 (permalink))
Old
steven (Offline)
JF Old Timer

12-27-2010, 12:21 AM

The link that MMM posted looks good to me. I think that's what I would try if I were to "rip" some cassette tapes.

I just want to point out a few things though--

The audio quality will probably degrade a little bit, but it shouldn't be too noticable.

Also, before you even start, I would check your RCA cables with a TV & VCR or something. Although I hadn't had too many problems with them in the past, over the last few months I've had numerous RCA cables go bad on me (like sound going in and out or sound dropping when the jack gets turned just slightly).

One last thing (this might be over complicating things, but this could lead to some problems)-- I'm not familiar with Audacity or IPODS... but there could possibly be an issue with sample rates and bit depths. Sample rates are the amount of samples taken per second and bit depths are the size of the samples taken. Regular CDs have 16bit samples that are taken 44,100 times per second (44.1k). Computers take "digital" samples of "analog" sound when they record. Sometimes with recording software you might get default sample rates and bit depths that are higher-- a popular one is 24bit/48k (which is what DVDs are if I am remembering right). At any rate, there will probably be an option when you "mixdown" (save) your file to mp3 format to decide your bit depth and sample rate. I'm assuming you should save at 16/44.1, which is the safest bet.

There is a slight chance that you might record in Audacity at a higher sample rate than that... which means when you "mixdown" (save) your file to 44.1/16 you might be doing a conversion from another sample rate/bit depth (like 48khz/24bit) which will cause slght degredation. I doubt this is something to be worried about though as this difference won't be noticable on your ipod and its headphones anyways.
(#19 (permalink))
Old
dogsbody70 (Offline)

12-27-2010, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
As long as you are not selling or distributing your copies you are on solid legal ground. A company cannot go after you and won't waste their time if there are no damages, and if you transfer a copy of a symphony concert from a cassette to MP3, there are no damages to the musicians.

But this isn't really what she was asking about, is it?

This seems to be the most clear cut, simple, and cheap way to accomplish what you want to do.

How to record cassette tapes to PC/Computer

Hello MM thanks-- have just seen this.

I had thought as we have some experts on this forum they might have guided me. Myown gr children clearly would have advised me-- but they too would have told me to take from the internet sites.

The music industry has been enormously affected by us taking the music for free--------------

So that does make me wonder what changes the Music industry will have to make to actually make it worthwhile to compose music-- orchestras singers and all that it entails to make recordings. If there is no profit? what is the incentive to bother.

Millions of pounds must have been lost to the industry surely? Why do they not charge a fee for each download?
thanks for your help everybody.
(#20 (permalink))
Old
RealJames (Offline)
ボケ外人

12-27-2010, 12:10 PM

I think it's safe to say the original composers, or whoever should get monetary gains from the sales of the music you would like to rip, would see no benefit even if you found an original to buy...

マンツーマン 英会話 神戸 三宮 リアライズ -James- This is my life and why I know things about Japan.