JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
termogard (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Post Manned Space Flights : an Indigenous Manned Space Vehicle - 12-27-2010, 02:23 PM

Currently Japan Aerospace Exploration Agency, JAXA is assembling a second national automated cargo craft HII-TV for the International Space Station. Years ago, the Agency developed a research Module "KIBO" for the ISS and created a national Astronaut Corps. But Japan still depends on American and Russian sides to deliver astronauts to and from Earth orbit.
So, the question is : do Japan need an indigenous manned space vehicle, no matter, expendable or multi-purpose?
Post your opinions, please.
(#2 (permalink))
Old
Ronin4hire (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

12-27-2010, 04:04 PM

What would be the point apart from stroking the national ego?

Unless the Japanese find the Russian spacecraft inadequate or the space shuttle replacement the Americans are working on insufficient then I see no point in Japan developing a manned spacecraft.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
termogard (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Smile national ego - 12-28-2010, 01:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin4hire View Post
What would be the point apart from stroking the national ego?

Unless the Japanese find the Russian spacecraft inadequate or the space shuttle replacement the Americans are working on insufficient then I see no point in Japan developing a manned spacecraft.
National ego....yes. National ego still drives Sony, Sharp, Hitachi and other famous megacorporations of japanese origin all around the Globe.
What about economic effectiveness? Which way is better : to have a national manned spacecraft or to pay Russian or American side for a single seat inside Soyuz or Space Shuttle ?
Even China developed a national piloted spacecraft. Well, it looks out like a copy of Soviet / Russian Soyuz but it was developed on chinese soil by chinese aerospace engineers.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

12-28-2010, 03:19 AM

I am confused. Half of the time people don't want to depend on America to help them do stuff, and now I am hearing, why have a space program when America already has it?
(#5 (permalink))
Old
termogard (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Smile space program - 12-28-2010, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
I am confused. Half of the time people don't want to depend on America to help them do stuff, and now I am hearing, why have a space program when America already has it?
Indeed. A role of junior partner in manned space exploration...is it so bad?
(#6 (permalink))
Old
Ronin4hire (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

12-28-2010, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
That's because you're mishearing things and don't understand the nature of the ISS project.

Also in case you didn't know.. Japan has its own space program but as of late I haven't heard them commit manned spaceflight.