JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
dogsbody70 (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

Shoplifting In Japan - 01-12-2011, 11:16 AM

ON BBC NEWS today there was mention of the main culprits for shop lifting in Japan being some of older generation--.

It seems to point out that these people are hard up Maybe? and have to steal food in order to survive.

I wonder if it is no longer the NORM for families to stick together and care for their elderly parents?

I am sure plenty of shoplifting goes on here UK or anywhere but are many of the elderly in Japan finding life difficult to cope with.

Do the social services not provide enough help for them?
I suspect there are thousands here in UK who also are desperate-- especially with our new governments cuts.
Rich Prime Minister making cuts for the average person in UK plus increasing VAT to 20%.
(#2 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
01-12-2011, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogsbody70 View Post
It seems to point out that these people are hard up Maybe? and have to steal food in order to survive.

I wonder if it is no longer the NORM for families to stick together and care for their elderly parents?
I think this is more to do with not wanting to have their families KNOW that they`re hard up. Elderly parents don`t want their successful children to know that they`re having trouble getting by - it is almost guaranteed to make the child come to care for them. When parents live far from their children, it can be a huge issue. Either the children move home, or the parents move in with the children. In the first case, the child has to give up their life and career... And in the second, the family home is lost.
No one wants to be a burden on their children, so instead of telling them that they`re not getting by - Or applying for support (which would likely inform the children) - they try to make it without help.

At the very least they try to put up a facade of being just fine.

There was a documentary on here a couple years back about the same subject. It was found that 75% of the cases of shoplifting by the elderly were related to family visiting. Old men would steal prime pieces of meat to treat visiting grandchildren, old women would steal expensive fish and ready-made deli type items for the family table... There was relatively little stealing to just "get by" day to day.

Often getting caught was the first indication to family that the parents or grandparents didn`t have as much money as they seemed to.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
dogsbody70 (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

01-12-2011, 04:23 PM

That is really interesting Nyroroin, also very understandable.
also a shame though if there really is hardship. I would hope the STATE would try to help these elderly people.

sometimes over here a widow or widower will move close to their families, some even move in with them-- but that can be very tricky indeed,
maybe if there is a way for a relative to help out by aranging some form of help for a parent?

I have heard that here in UK there will be less State help for the elderly-- especially those stuck at home who cannot get out at all

I have friends who visit and do work for the elderly so they can remain at home-- so called Care in the Community== but recently was told that there has been a reduction in the carers wages. So it is worrying indeed.
My son tells me he will chuck me into a HOME. Umm- I might have something to say about That-- but refuse to be a burden to him or his sister. we could certainly never live together in the same house Ha ha.

Sometimes if there is a separate Annexe where the old person could stay-- close to family but Not get in the way--may often work.

Older people do like to keep their independence as long as is possible of course.

We try to help some who are stuck at home-- by doing shopping for them, or helping in other ways.

A Chinese friend of ours has her elderly mother staying with her over here in UK. she would never leave her mother to struggle on her own she says they respect their elders and care for them.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
RobinMask (Offline)
JF Old Timer

01-12-2011, 04:35 PM

Post Deleted.

Last edited by RobinMask : 01-07-2018 at 11:55 AM.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
steven (Offline)
JF Old Timer

01-13-2011, 12:53 AM

Robin Mask, I think you should reread Nyororin's post. If I understood it correctly she was saying that what seems to happen is elderly people aren't stealing to get by, but they are doing it to make it seem like they are doing fine or above normal. So when guests come over they might be tempted to steal something expensive from the store to make it seem like there is nothing to be worried about.

To be honest though, I had no idea that was happening! Cses of shoplifting I have heard about deal with young kids. They might be tempted to steal a new game that all their friends have or smaller things.

I remember older people shoplifting in California sometimes as well. I don't know if it was for the same reasons though.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
01-13-2011, 01:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinMask View Post
I have to ask - does Japan have any care for its elderly? Are care homes affordable, are the pensions good? If people resort to shoplifting - the same way some people here resort to not using heating in order to get by in costs - then does it imply not enough is being done? Or is it a cultural thing, like a way or saving face by not asking for help?
The Japanese health care system doesn`t really create issues with affording medical care and medications. Pensions are... Well... Not wonderful, but enough to get by.
Care homes are not really all that common, but there are countless low-cost or free (either volunteer or paid for by social services) in-home care services provided. There are also countless programs providing small employment opportunities to people past retirement - as much for the income as for the mental and physical stimulation it provides. For those who do require more intensive care, there are hospitals dedicated almost entirely to caring for the elderly.
Almost every area has a support and health center for the elderly, and there are always tons of activities and services being advertised... But you can only offer the services and not force them on people. If someone does not apply for services, they will not get them.

I have no doubt there are people out there who have no family and who honestly cannot get by without stealing food, etc... But there are services they could apply for.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.