JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
tazzy (Offline)
JF Regular

Views of Sweden - 01-19-2011, 04:57 PM

Hi, I'm wondering if anyone knows what Japanese attitudes to Sweden are like?

I know with the Chinese the attitude is quite non-existant, Sweden is just another country in Europe, some small irrelevant place.
The Japanese though seem a bit more worldly. I remember seeing a Japanese movie (Detroit Metal City) where the guy talked of 'Swedish Pop'- seemingly what the Japanese call twee accoustic pop.
But then even to look to western countries their attitudes to the country are pretty naff- just a place full of hot slutty blondes (totally untrue)....Its a bit of a stretch, I don't expect the Japanese to actively think of the country a lot but is there any view at all?
(#2 (permalink))
Old
princessmarisa (Offline)
JF Old Timer

01-19-2011, 06:11 PM

I see a lot of "what is the Japanese attitude to XYZ" posts and just want to make sure everyone knows that although there may be some kind of average view on something it is not that clear cut.

Like anywhere in the world, people differ and will all have a different view to, and knowledge of, any given topic.

Not got a serious answer to the question on the average view, but you better hope it is not related to how the Swedish girl was portrayed in the TV Drama 日本人が日本語知らなし

iirc the Swedish girl thinks ninjas are real, and that she can meet one and become one and be their friend and goes into the woods to meet one and almost gets kidnapped for being so naiive.

Fighting ignorance and slaying a few narutards whilst I am at it.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
tazzy (Offline)
JF Regular

01-19-2011, 06:33 PM

日本人が日本語知らな?...Japanese People's Knowledge of the Japanese language?
Whats this then?
Never heard of this.
I think all countries have their representatives of those annoying anime fan types, rest assured she's no more representative of Sweden than similar British weirdos are of the UK. :P

Quote:
Swedish Viking Age lasted between 8 and 11 century. Health care in Sweden is similar in quality to other developed countries. Immigration is an important source of population growth and cultural change through much of the history of Sweden.
So there's a viking 'fandom' (wrong word there....implies its all they like) over in Japan?

And immigration? Huh? Strange one there.

Last edited by tazzy : 01-19-2011 at 06:36 PM.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
dogsbody70 (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

01-19-2011, 07:16 PM

I haven't been to Sweden but I sure would love to.

I have some Scandinavian friends and they are great.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
Haganenohage (Offline)
New to JF

01-19-2011, 07:54 PM

日本人の知らない日本語
TV drama in which many weird foreigners appear.BUT JUST A COMEDY.don't take it serious.日本人の知らない日本語 | 読売テレビ
Swedish girl is a Ninja freak who believes Ninja still exist now.I personally think this is reference of the song "Ninja" from Swedish hard rock band Europe.The Final Countdown (album) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Most Japanese associate Viking with Norway than Sweden.

Swedish POP ABBA and The Cardigans.
Rock Yngwie
Football player Zlatan Ibrahimović(He is a son of immigrant)
IKEA
H&M

In political issue,Sweden is mentioned frequently as a typical example of welfare state.
"free and high quality education,great health care and pension system.BUT HIGH Value added tax”
As for immigration,YouTube - Sweden and immigration
In Japan,how to redesign Social Security Services and immigration policy is big issue now.So,Sweden is one of the example.