JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
dogsbody70 (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

Yoko Ono - 01-23-2011, 11:29 AM

Many of us know that Yoko Ono was married to John Lennon.

Here is a little about her.

Yoko Ono - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

My japanese friend says that many Japanese are not happy with Yoko Ono.

I am uncertain why?

Does anyone have any thoughts about Yoko Ono and her influence on John Lennon
(#2 (permalink))
Old
Ghap (Offline)
JF Old Timer

01-23-2011, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogsbody70 View Post
Many of us know that Yoko Ono was married to John Lennon.

Here is a little about her.

Yoko Ono - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

My japanese friend says that many Japanese are not happy with Yoko Ono.

I am uncertain why?

Does anyone have any thoughts about Yoko Ono and her influence on John Lennon
Your Japanese friend isnt alone......many Beatles fans from all around the world were not happy with her...tho I must point out this is an argument that has been going on for Decades.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
steven (Offline)
JF Old Timer

01-23-2011, 01:08 PM

It's funny because I know a woman who is named Ono Yoko (Yoko Ono in western name order).

Most people that I've talked to about this (who are Japanese) don't really know who she is. Some people know a little bit, but not enough to like her or dislike her. Some people strangely like her. And some people dislike her just because they know that people dislike her (like beatles fans from England or the US for example).

I've even met a singer who dislikes Yoko Ono simply because she married John Lennon (instead of the singer, of course... it was funny because she felt that she almost had it since she is Japanese like Yoko Ono).

My wife didn't even know who she was. So we did a little bit of research. In fact, there is a documentary about her on youtube--
YouTube - The Real Yoko Ono (Part 1 of 6) 素顔のジョン&ヨーコ

I don't know how much of it is truth, but it was entertaining nonetheless. It is in English and has Japanese subtitles.

I know that there is a lot of info about Yoko Ono and John Lennon on the internet... and not knowing either one of them personally I have no idea what is truth and what is not. I think that John Lennon certainly made a choice as a man to be with her-- so a lot of the blame that gets put on her seems to be a little unfair. Just in case you're not familiar with the situation, a lot of Beatles fans blame her for the break up of the Beatles. I personally think it was more than that (particularly their manager's (Brian Epstein) death. She certainly didn't help the situation though. As Ghap said this is an argument that has and will go on forever.

Personally, I don't like a lot of her music... but I think it's interesting to note that the two of them made some very experimental music that I guess could be classified as 'noise rock' or 'noise' or whatever they call it now days. While I think her musical contributions had no place within the Beatles, out of context there was some interesting stuff here or there (although I can't stress enough that I don't like it).
(#4 (permalink))
Old
Ghap (Offline)
JF Old Timer

01-23-2011, 01:38 PM

That was quite intresting.

I agree John Lennon is as much to blame as Yoko for whatever happened but I wasnt around in that era so I guess hearsay is all I can add but ive known people to be quite nasty about it.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
RealJames (Offline)
ボケ外人

01-23-2011, 03:24 PM

If I were famous, and tried to leave the life of fame to enjoy that life with my wife, and then my wife got shat on for taking me away from my fans, I'd feel my fame was the most hollow achievement of my life.

マンツーマン 英会話 神戸 三宮 リアライズ -James- This is my life and why I know things about Japan.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
pumpum (Offline)
JF Old Timer

01-23-2011, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealJames View Post
If I were famous, and tried to leave the life of fame to enjoy that life with my wife, and then my wife got shat on for taking me away from my fans, I'd feel my fame was the most hollow achievement of my life.
whoa that is F**** deep but true

btw - i have never met in person anyone who liked the beatles!

The things that come to those who wait are the things that are left by those who got there first !
(#7 (permalink))
Old
Columbine (Offline)

01-23-2011, 06:33 PM

My mild dislike for Yoko Ono stems from that I genuinely don't like her art or music and she seems pretty up herself. On a much more petty basis the worst teacher I ever had shared the same name (one broke up bands, the other broke up whole university departments) and dear god, if I ever have to read that damn Genki chapter about her stupid life ONE MORE TIME, heads are gonna roll. Or you know, being British, there will be silent disapproving seething from the back of the room.
(#8 (permalink))
Old
Ryzorian (Offline)

01-24-2011, 01:59 AM

Beatles and yoko whatever are like, sooooo last century.
(#9 (permalink))
Old
steven (Offline)
JF Old Timer

01-24-2011, 03:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pumpum View Post

btw - i have never met in person anyone who liked the beatles!
Are you being sarcastic?
(#10 (permalink))
Old
dogsbody70 (Offline)

01-24-2011, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryzorian View Post
Beatles and yoko whatever are like, sooooo last century.

ryzorian-- so what-- Beatles music wil be played for ever-- just because it was a wee while ago-- I take it you are not into history anything before yOu were born