JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
imeka (Offline)
JF Regular

Working at a japanese airlines - 01-29-2011, 02:51 AM

if i want to work for a japanese airline what should i major in? i'm already majoring in japanese but i plan on doing a double major

猿も木から落ちる -Even monkeys fall from trees.
猿が大好きです -I love monkeys.
(#2 (permalink))
Old
JohnBraden (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

01-29-2011, 03:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imeka View Post
if i want to work for a japanese airline what should i major in? i'm already majoring in japanese but i plan on doing a double major
Japan Airlines is in the process of laying off quite a number of its staff due to government-assisted bailout from bankruptcy, so I guess they're not going to be hiring much anytime soon.

Are you looking to work for the airline (whichever it is) in Hawaii or actually in Japan? What kind of position were you looking for? Ticket agent, ground crew, flight crew?

Last edited by JohnBraden : 01-29-2011 at 03:07 AM.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Sangetsu (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

01-29-2011, 10:11 AM

Airlines are businesses, perhaps you should go to business school. Try for the best school you can, a top school will open a lot of doors.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
Ghap (Offline)
JF Old Timer

01-29-2011, 10:51 AM

My only advice would be to work on an airline from you country for several years to gain skills and experiance.

Then if you are very good apply to a Japanese (Sweedish, Swiss, Danish, Australian etc) airline.

The point im getting at is that without a skill people will employ within their nationality.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
princessmarisa (Offline)
JF Old Timer

01-29-2011, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghap View Post
My only advice would be to work on an airline from you country for several years to gain skills and experiance.

Then if you are very good apply to a Japanese (Sweedish, Swiss, Danish, Australian etc) airline.

The point im getting at is that without a skill people will employ within their nationality.

This seems really good advice, as for your second major it depends what you want to do, I guess anything related to travel/tourism would help a lot though if you have the option of modules like that.

Fighting ignorance and slaying a few narutards whilst I am at it.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
RealJames (Offline)
ボケ外人

01-29-2011, 03:39 PM

I've flown a lot over the last 2 or 3 years, and I have to admit I haven't seen one ugly airline staff for any one of the asian airlines, not even an average looking one, hell they were all hot!
So my opinion is major in looking hot otherwise you wont get your foot in the door on some stupid technicality which translates into "you aren't hot enough"

マンツーマン 英会話 神戸 三宮 リアライズ -James- This is my life and why I know things about Japan.
(#7 (permalink))
Old
AlfieA (Offline)
New to JF

01-30-2011, 04:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealJames View Post
I've flown a lot over the last 2 or 3 years, and I have to admit I haven't seen one ugly airline staff for any one of the asian airlines, not even an average looking one, hell they were all hot!
So my opinion is major in looking hot otherwise you wont get your foot in the door on some stupid technicality which translates into "you aren't hot enough"
Just wondering aloud here - does your comment apply to males as well?

Re majors. I think doing a hospitality/tourism or hotel management course might be a good idea. It probably relates to an airline job better than standard business degrees (that don't focus on the service side of things). And you can always get a job at a hotel or something if the airline idea doesn't work out.
(#8 (permalink))
Old
RealJames (Offline)
ボケ外人

01-30-2011, 01:11 PM

In western airlines it's common to see male stewards but in asian airlines I have never seen it, not even at the ticket counters o.O

マンツーマン 英会話 神戸 三宮 リアライズ -James- This is my life and why I know things about Japan.