JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
dogsbody70 (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

Hope for diabetic sufferers? - 01-30-2011, 12:30 PM

Potential 'cure' for type 1 diabetes?

I hope it will not be too far into the future that research such as this will actually make Life better for sufferers of diabetes 1.

I have friends with this.
One friend developed it when she became pregant.over forty years ago.

She lives a good and interesting life but always controlling the diabetes is a Constant.

especially in illnesses.
(#2 (permalink))
Old
NanteNa (Offline)
sixth gun.

Send a message via Skype™ to NanteNa
01-31-2011, 02:23 AM

Woah. That would definitely be a break-through. I know that the gastric bypass 'cures' Diabetes II. One of my best friends has the genetically inherited one as well.

[ <-- Jordan's heart! \(Ò_ó)/ ]
Follow me on TUMBLR
"Well if a chick has a problem with the way I conduct myself I'd draw the bitch
a map to the nearest exit and stamp "fuck off" on her forehead."
- Pot Roast
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Janasse (Offline)
New to JF

02-04-2011, 03:55 AM

Gastric bypass does not cure diabetes although losing weight can as this is most common in overweight people. Also there is no cure for type 1 but there are studies for an artificial pancrease, basically an internal insulin pump, that will automatically check blood sugar and dispense the amount of insulin needed.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
TalnSG (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

Send a message via ICQ to TalnSG
02-05-2011, 04:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janasse View Post
Gastric bypass does not cure diabetes although losing weight can as this is most common in overweight people. Also there is no cure for type 1 but there are studies for an artificial pancrease, basically an internal insulin pump, that will automatically check blood sugar and dispense the amount of insulin needed.
A gastric bypass does not cure anything! It is a drastic, usually effective method for weight loss and nothing more. Any alleviation of Diabetes II after such procedures is the result of the resulting weight loss, not the method used to accomplish it. And neither the weight loss nor "cure" of the diabetes is permanent if the person does not work to maintain the weight reduction.

As for the Diabetes I cure, there is in fact a new study that is in final testing to verify that the cause has been determined and this will enable researchers to develop a cure. But that cure is a long way off still. I happen to work for the same employer as the research team and the results are generating a loss of hope that has been needed for a long time.

Only an open mind and open heart can be filled with life.
Find your voice; silence will not protect you.