JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
x2cool (Offline)
LawBringerSR2

Send a message via AIM to x2cool
Mubarak Steps Down - 02-11-2011, 04:20 PM

So after 18 days of the people of Egypt demanding that President Mubarak steps down, today he finally did. And apparently the military is going to take over. What do you guys think will happen in Egypt now? No doubt this is a historic occasion, but won't things get more complicated from here on out?
(#2 (permalink))
Old
siokan (Offline)
JF Old Timer

02-12-2011, 12:08 AM

Economic rebuilding.
seizure Mubarak's property.

Egypt might become indigent when failing.
(The renewal of arms seems to be also severe)

Israel and Saudi Arabia are the watery eyes.

Western countries becomes painful. The sea lane securing becomes severe depending on the aircraft carrier disposition of China.

Please permit poor English. orz
Cryptanalysis is necessary for you.
set a goal:English at the same level as Johan Cruyff
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Ryzorian (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

02-12-2011, 05:36 AM

I See Egypt going full "Islamic Republic", pretty much as Iran is now, within a year. After wich it declares war on Isreal and attacks. Several other Middle east countries could follow in Egypt's footsteps soon, Jordan, Syria, Yemen. It could become a mess very quickly.

China doesn't have aircraft carrier's and not much of a navy either, so I see no threat to the area there.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
Ronin4hire (Offline)

02-12-2011, 05:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryzorian View Post
I See Egypt going full "Islamic Republic", pretty much as Iran is now, within a year. After wich it declares war on Isreal and attacks. Several other Middle east countries could follow in Egypt's footsteps soon, Jordan, Syria, Yemen. It could become a mess very quickly.
I'm going to hold you to this prediction. Because when you're wrong I'm going to come back and remind you of you of it.

I'm thinking that Egypt will become a secular, majority muslim country like Turkey.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
konbini (Offline)
JF Regular

02-12-2011, 05:50 AM

Maybe you are both wrong. It might become something in between the two.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
Ronin4hire (Offline)

02-12-2011, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by konbini View Post
Maybe you are both wrong. It might become something in between the two.
I could be wrong.. I'll admit that.

There is nothing to suggest that Ryzorian is right though.

I mean the "Muslim Brotherhood" that conservative Americans are scared of only has about 15% support if I remember correctly (a poll that was done).
(#7 (permalink))
Old
Ryzorian (Offline)

02-13-2011, 12:28 AM

Ronin, if they go like Turkey and become a "secular" muslim country in a year you can call me on it and I will be glad to say I was wrong in that. The problem is that much of the middle east has been radicalized over the last several decades. The Muslim brotherhood is favored by over 60% of the base population not 15. The 15% is more like how many non muslims are actually in the country.

Turkey is constantly fighting the radical element, sometimes with an iron fist. It has better odds of going full islamic than Egypt has of going "Cold Turkey".
It why the US has allways supported the strong arm dictators over there, You needed the brutes to gaurd the door because the "muslim brotherhoods" kept trying to spread. It's an ugly situation to be in I admit, specially considering how bad it makes America look.
(#8 (permalink))
Old
fluffy0000 (Offline)
FJ to JF

02-13-2011, 01:01 AM

Read it and weep dude.

Quote:
Newsweek
by Sarah A. TopolDecember 21, 2010

Steering Egypt Into the 21st Century
WikiLeaks details unsuccessful U.S. efforts to modernize Cairo's military strategy.

Recently leaked diplomatic cables reveal that America’s staunchest Arab ally—and the recipient of the second-largest American military-aid package—is tenaciously resisting U.S. pleas to reform its military mission to meet 21st-century threats. Instead, Egypt, a waning regional power, insists on procuring additional conventional weapons more suitable for last century’s battles.

But with Egypt’s power projected inward at a restive population, American officials continue to grapple with a clumsy military that’s ill prepared for modern challenges in an increasingly volatile region. “The cables reveal a military deeply reluctant to take part in regional counterterrorism efforts, and the focus on weapons necessary for desert battle is a reflection of that,” says Steven Cook, a senior fellow at the Council on Foreign Relations who studies the Egyptian armed forces. “The Egyptian military is not good at or interested in, quite frankly, projecting power. It is there to ensure the survival of the regime and protect the country’s borders.”

Last edited by fluffy0000 : 02-13-2011 at 07:11 AM. Reason: edit
(#9 (permalink))
Old
Ryzorian (Offline)

02-14-2011, 05:10 AM

That's all well and good, cept the Muslim Brotherhood has allready claimed war with Isreal is comeing. The real test is wether Egypt's military is more in tune with the brotherhood or not.
(#10 (permalink))
Old
Ronin4hire (Offline)

02-14-2011, 08:01 AM

Quote:
That's all well and good, cept the Muslim Brotherhood has allready claimed war with Isreal is comeing. The real test is wether Egypt's military is more in tune with the brotherhood or not.
You know what else they've claimed?

They're not going to front a presidential candidate in coming elections.

Anyway, I know nothing of these claims that you say they made. What's your source?