JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
HimeChan13 (Offline)
Hardly Immaculate

Angry Freedom? - 02-25-2011, 06:06 PM

So, apparantly I live in the land of the free. I do not understand. I can't drive, I can't have a normal relationship with anyone, I can't get a job, I am forced by law to go to school, I need money to do anything, and I need consent from my parents to do everything. I feel that maybe teens should get to like, take a test when they feel they are able to handle the world by themselves, an emancipation test. At least for teens who aren't eighteen yet. I have cabin fever all the time and it's not from being stuck inside, it's from me being restrained in everything I do. I do not think that parents should be allowed to control their child until their eighteen if they can't even make the right decisions themselves. A lot of the time, it's like the parent doesn't even care if their child is happy, they just want to protect them. But parents, guess what. Sometimes you're doing more damage to your child by restricting them than by letting them do more. Sometimes the child is happier when they have some freedom. Maybe without that freedom, they will be socially awkward or depressed. I know that I could become very depressed without this one person keeping me afloat. And even now, this one person is threatened to be ripped from me, leaving me helpless. I need some freedom here. I might go crazy.

The sound of your voice, painted on my memories. Even if you're not with me, I'm with you.

Last edited by HimeChan13 : 02-25-2011 at 06:15 PM.
(#2 (permalink))
Old
tipsygypsy (Offline)
wa gwaaan?

Smile 02-25-2011, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HimeChan13 View Post
So, apparantly I live in the land of the free. I do not understand. I can't drive, I can't have a normal relationship with anyone, I can't get a job, I am forced by law to go to school, I need money to do anything, and I need consent from my parents to do everything. I feel that maybe teens should get to like, take a test when they feel they are able to handle the world by themselves, an emancipation test. At least for teens who aren't eighteen yet. I have cabin fever all the time and it's not from being stuck inside, it's from me being restrained in everything I do. I do not think that parents should be allowed to control their child until their eighteen if they can't even make the right decisions themselves. A lot of the time, it's like the parent doesn't even care if their child is happy, they just want to protect them. But parents, guess what. Sometimes you're doing more damage to your child by restricting them than by letting them do more. Sometimes the child is happier when they have some freedom. Maybe without that freedom, they will be socially awkward or depressed. I know that I could become very depressed without this one person keeping me afloat. And even now, this one person is threatened to be ripped from me, leaving me helpless. I need some freedom here. I might go crazy.

In the future, Your kid will think that way, and you'll do the same things your parents are doing today. I guess That's how world goes on hehe

Jah Rastafaaari. Yeah pasta for life
(#3 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

02-25-2011, 06:31 PM

Quote:
So, apparantly I live in the land of the free. I do not understand. I can't drive,
What age do you think people should be driving at?

Quote:

I can't have a normal relationship with anyone,
How is that your country's fault?

Quote:

I can't get a job,
A lot of people can't find jobs.

Quote:

I am forced by law to go to school,
Do you think school shouldn't be mandatory? Should a 8-year-old be allowed to choose to go to school or not?

Quote:

I need money to do anything,
This is true all over the world.

Quote:

and I need consent from my parents to do everything.
That's pretty much true all over the world, too.

Quote:
I feel that maybe teens should get to like, take a test when they feel they are able to handle the world by themselves, an emancipation test.
I actually agree with you there. I wish there was a test to determine if a teen is ready to go out on their own and take on the world, because the ones that do try it for real usually fail.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
HimeChan13 (Offline)
Hardly Immaculate

02-25-2011, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
What age do you think people should be driving at?

How is that your country's fault?

A lot of people can't find jobs.

Do you think school shouldn't be mandatory? Should a 8-year-old be allowed to choose to go to school or not?

This is true all over the world.

That's pretty much true all over the world, too.

I actually agree with you there. I wish there was a test to determine if a teen is ready to go out on their own and take on the world, because the ones that do try it for real usually fail.
I just feel like everything is so restricted, it's all decided upon the parents or government. I realize this is true all over the world, that it's even stronger in other countries, but I'm talking about how people in America are supposed to be free. The laws require that someone be eighteen to do anything that doesn't require their parents' consent. Some parents aren't fit to make the decisions for their children. That's all I'm saying. Teenagers have so much influence on the way things happen, but we are so restricted that we can't do a darn thing. Maybe some of us want to live.

The sound of your voice, painted on my memories. Even if you're not with me, I'm with you.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
Demitrichan (Offline)
True Collector

Send a message via MSN to Demitrichan Send a message via Yahoo to Demitrichan
Smile 02-25-2011, 07:05 PM

Money doesn't actually rule every where ya know.
There's a lot of places that are of the grid.
I do think a person should have a right to choose what they do with their life after they've been presented with statistics and had life experiences.
Some parents aren't fit to raise the children they made.
and not everywhere do you have to go to school.
Its not as if everything is the same everywhere 24/7, 365 days a year.

*LUCKY STAR!*

(#6 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

02-25-2011, 07:19 PM

Quote:
I just feel like everything is so restricted, it's all decided upon the parents or government. I realize this is true all over the world, that it's even stronger in other countries, but I'm talking about how people in America are supposed to be free. The laws require that someone be eighteen to do anything that doesn't require their parents' consent. Some parents aren't fit to make the decisions for their children. That's all I'm saying. Teenagers have so much influence on the way things happen, but we are so restricted that we can't do a darn thing. Maybe some of us want to live.
At some point in teenage life, every kid feels this way. I did. All my friends did.

Parents are simply people, just like you, only they have the age and the experience that comes with that. This is why parents take responsibility for their children, and kids don't get to make the decisions on their own.

How many kids go to your school? How many kids get in trouble at school in a given week?

Now let's look at a company with as many employees as students at your school. Do you think as many employees get in trouble as do kids at your school? I imagine if it were the same the company would struggle to stay in business.

I know as a teenager you feel like an adult, but you are still growing and your brain is still expanding. Eighteen might feel like a million years away, but trust me, it will be there and gone much sooner than you think.
(#7 (permalink))
Old
tipsygypsy (Offline)
wa gwaaan?

02-25-2011, 07:31 PM

and often, society is kinda like this. "Hey everyone, your opinion dun shiyaat to me and your shiyaaat's 'bout to fall. Your right wrong to me is all wrong, and you gotta pay when you do me wrong. so don't bullshiyaat till you realize cool is only 3letters away from fool" Society is kinda like this pretty much everywhere and we gotta deal wit it.

Jah Rastafaaari. Yeah pasta for life
(#8 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

02-25-2011, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tipsygypsy View Post
and often, society is kinda like this. "Hey everyone, your opinion dun shiyaat to me and your shiyaaat's 'bout to fall. Your right wrong to me is all wrong, and you gotta pay when you do me wrong. so don't bullshiyaat till you realize cool is only 3letters away from fool" Society is kinda like this pretty much everywhere and we gotta deal wit it.
Maybe time to go to bed.
(#9 (permalink))
Old
TalnSG (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

Send a message via ICQ to TalnSG
02-25-2011, 07:52 PM

Quote:
So, apparantly I live in the land of the free. I do not understand.
Its called not being a legal adult. Be glad you are in Indiana. You could be in a state where you have those limitations until you are 21.
Quote:
I can't drive, I can't have a normal relationship with anyone, I can't get a job, I am forced by law to go to school, I need money to do anything, and I need consent from my parents to do everything.
It sounds like you have a problem with relationships in general. First with your parents, and then with what you are looking for in others.
Quote:
I feel that maybe teens should get to like, take a test when they feel they are able to handle the world by themselves, an emancipation test. At least for teens who aren't eighteen yet.
From what you have said you would probably fail such a test. Without education how would you answer the questions on the test? Without education and transportation you would not be able to get a job that support yourself.
Quote:
I have cabin fever all the time and it's not from being stuck inside, it's from me being restrained in everything I do.
Quit whining like a 4 year old and find something to occupy your mind and time that your parents will accept and let you out of the house to do. It is YOUR FAULT that you have not found that common ground.
Quote:
I do not think that parents should be allowed to control their child until their eighteen if they can't even make the right decisions themselves. A lot of the time, it's like the parent doesn't even care if their child is happy, they just want to protect them. But parents, guess what. Sometimes you're doing more damage to your child by restricting them than by letting them do more. Sometimes the child is happier when they have some freedom. Maybe without that freedom, they will be socially awkward or depressed.
You would be far more miserable if your parents agreed to se you free. Its amazing how comforting food, shelter, clothing, computers, and internet access can be when you have no means to acquire them. They are paying the bills, so with legal and moral limits, they set the rules. That's how the real world works.
Quote:
I know that I could become very depressed without this one person keeping me afloat. And even now, this one person is threatened to be ripped from me, leaving me helpless. I need some freedom here. I might go crazy.
And now you have summed up the crux of your problem. Unless that one person is yourself, you are headed for trouble. You have to rely on yourself first and foremost, over any other person in your world .... even your "controlling" parents. If you would be helpless without someone else, then you are cleary dependent and not qualified to function freely and independently.

Only an open mind and open heart can be filled with life.
Find your voice; silence will not protect you.
(#10 (permalink))
Old
tokusatsufan (Offline)
JF Old Timer

02-25-2011, 08:27 PM

People,people. I don't think we should all be siding with the kid's parents. They'll think they can't talk to anyone. Once,I shouted at my dad because he was being so pathetic and then he went "Teenagers don't want to help do they?" to this other middle aged man who agreed[and he looked like he would have been cool if it weren't for Dad] and I could have punched him. I am 18,but I am also the most normal person in this house. In this country people think you're going to end up old and hating your partner like my parents. English and now American society is all about pessimism. I am not going to end up like my parents and the minute I start to act like them I am going to stop. That is wrong.

And judging people on whether they pay the bills or not is a risky business. Your pets don't pay the bills,are you going to kick them out? I don't pay the bills. I do everything my mother tells me to[because I'm scared not to],and a fair amount my father,and I am not necessarily repaid for that.