LinkBack Thread Tools
(#571 (permalink))
Old
termogard (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Post discussion - 03-16-2011, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by protheus View Post
I live pretty close to Chernobil, I had 2 brothers who died from leuchemia because of that (one was under a year old, the other 3 and a half), so I should know about the effects, but to scare the c...p out of people isn't a discussion. That's exactly what the media does, exaggerating everything, and it isn't helping the people. You're comparing something like Chernobil to this?
As Godwine pointed out, we have all rights to make suggestions and share opinions. That's what this forum intended for.
Speaking for myself : yes, I compare current situation to Chernobyl. Because, speaking of mentioned aerial view, it looks out more like Chernobyl damaged reactor than relatively intact reactor building of american Three Mile Island of 1979.
(#572 (permalink))
Old
termogard (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Post scheme - 03-16-2011, 10:33 AM

Current situation inside a block of reactor #4 according to Japanese TV (seems, like exposed rods of spent nuclear fuel due to lower level of coolant (water))
Attached Images
File Type: jpg aedc06443f8f.jpg (107.7 KB, 52 views)
(#573 (permalink))
Old
CarlVercetti (Offline)
New to JF

03-16-2011, 10:36 AM

Chernobyl was one of the biggest mistake of the human history, after the war and the nukes.

Chernobyl disaster - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Working in a Nuclear Plants without safe security switch on and put in a Nuclear Plants people that doesn't even know what they touch or press... Soviet Russia, you did it very wrong. It was an avoidable incident.
I'm sorry for you Protheus.

How the situation today in Japan?
(#574 (permalink))
Old
termogard (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Post incident - 03-16-2011, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlVercetti View Post
Soviet Russia, you did it very wrong. It was an avoidable incident.
No doubt.

Another layout of PWR :
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 5002320a25bb.jpg (76.7 KB, 52 views)
(#575 (permalink))
Old
tipsygypsy (Offline)
wa gwaaan?

03-16-2011, 11:14 AM

I don't know if this information is true or not, since the source is my friend. But, Fukushima plant is spitting out neutron now.

Jah Rastafaaari. Yeah pasta for life
(#576 (permalink))
Old
godwine (Offline)
自爆十秒前

03-16-2011, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by protheus View Post
but to scare the c...p out of people isn't a discussion. That's exactly what the media does, exaggerating everything, and it isn't helping the people. You're comparing something like Chernobil to this?
Yes, thats what the media did, and nobody on this forum is trying to do this.... everyone is just monitoring the situation closely and wondering what can be done.

I am comparing this to Chernobyl because the MEDIA already said this is worse than the event at Three Mile, the next step up in history is only Chernobyl, so I don't know what else I am suppose to compare this to.

People's opinion (mine anyways) are mainly base on historical events and figures, so its just natural that I would compare this to something that happened in the past.
(#577 (permalink))
Old
termogard (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Post Nuclear Power Plant - 03-16-2011, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tipsygypsy View Post
I don't know if this information is true or not, since the source is my friend. But, Fukushima plant is spitting out neutron now.
IIRC, they used to say about plutonium inside experimental core of reactor # 3 (enough damaged block) and about exposed spent fuel rods in damaged block # 4. Plutonium as well as spent fuel may be strongest sources of radiation....
(#578 (permalink))
Old
termogard (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Post meltdown - 03-16-2011, 12:28 PM

Here is depicted a possible scenario.

quote :

Reactor vessel breachingIn absence of adequate cooling, the inside of the reactor overheats, deforms as the portions undergo thermal expansion, then structurally fails once the temperature reaches the melting point of the structural materials. The melt then accumulates on the bottom of the reactor vessel. In case of adequate cooling of the corium melt, it can solidify and the spread of damage is limited to the reactor. However, corium may melt through the reactor vessel and flow out or be ejected as a molten stream by the pressure inside the reactor. The reactor failure may be caused by overheating of its bottom by the corium melt, resulting first in creep failure and then in breach of the vessel. High level of cooling water above the corium layer may allow reaching a thermal equilibrium below the metal creep temperature, without reactor vessel failure.[5]

If the vessel is sufficiently cooled, a crust between the melt and the reactor wall can form. The layer of molten steel on top of the oxide creates a zone of increased heat transfer to the reactor wall;[1] this condition, known as "heat knife", exacerbates probability of formation of a localized weakening of the side of the reactor vessel and subsequent corium leak.

In case of high pressure inside the reactor vessel, breaching of its bottom may result in high-pressure blowout of the corium mass. In the first phase, only the melt itself is ejected; later a depression forms in the center of the hole and gas is discharged together with the melt, resulting in rapid decrease of pressure inside the reactor; the high temperature of the melt also causes rapid erosion and enlargement of the vessel breach. If a hole is in the center of the bottom, nearly all corium can be ejected. A hole in the side of the vessel may lead to only partial ejection of corium, retaining its portion inside the reactor.[6] Melt-through of the reactor vessel may take from few tens of minutes to several hours.

After breaching the reactor vessel, the conditions in the reactor cavity below the core govern the production of gases. If water is present, steam and hydrogen are generated; dry concrete results in production of carbon dioxide and smaller amount of steam.[7]

Wiki
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 427px-Graphic_TMI-2_Core_End-State_Configuration.jpg (74.2 KB, 49 views)
(#579 (permalink))
Old
termogard (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Post corium - 03-16-2011, 12:40 PM

After meltdown, a molten mass of reactor core formed lava-like corium.

Wiki

Hardened corium flows inside a basement of damaged reactor of Chernobyl Nuclear Power Plant:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Pictureofchernobyllavaflow.jpg (100.1 KB, 74 views)
(#580 (permalink))
Old
eezy1 (Offline)
JF Regular

03-16-2011, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by termogard View Post
After meltdown, a molten mass of reactor core formed lava-like corium.

Wiki

Hardened corium flows inside a basement of damaged reactor of Chernobyl Nuclear Power Plant:
why dont u give it a rest dude