LinkBack Thread Tools
(#651 (permalink))
Old
Sangetsu (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

03-18-2011, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
Point me out to the media I should be watching.

In Japan the focus remains on the loss of life, which is the main story, terrible as it is. But the dead are already dead, and you can't kill them over and over again to keep people tuned in. But the threat of a nuclear disaster, farfetched as it may be, that keeps people watching, especially if they think there is a chance they themselves may somehow be affected.

Even if there were a full, Chernobyl-style meltdown, Tokyo would not be substantially affected, nor would anyone outside Japan. Yet the news hype is so great that people in America are buying potassium iodide pills, which would only be necessary in the worst-case scenario and you were within 12 miles of the plant. If these idiots are dumb enough to start taking iodine undirected, they are likely to develop thyroid problems more serious than if they had been exposed to radiation.

Tens of thousands are dead, the world economy is adversely affected, yet this isn't enough to satisfy the vultures, I can imagine them actually praying for a greater disaster so they can bump up their ratings and perhaps earn another 10% advertising revenue.
(#652 (permalink))
Old
CarlVercetti (Offline)
New to JF

03-18-2011, 10:05 AM

I'm reading every type of theory about Japan Eartquake, including that Japan launch a Megaultraiper Nuke in the Pacific and an experiment with the HAARP. I can't believe that the people are so idiot that believe the esistence of a Nuke that can unleash a power of 36,1 bilion charge of TNT. And even if a similar weapon exist, how the hell can think that Japan use it for destroy himself? I hate these people who create these really ridiculous theory. I'm reading that Japan begin to consider the idea to bury the reactors under tons of reinforced concrete.
(#653 (permalink))
Old
termogard (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Post power supplies - 03-18-2011, 01:16 PM

Fire vehicles to help cool Fukushima reactors

18.03.2011, 06.01

TOKYO, March 18 (Itar-Tass) -- Japan will use fire vehicles to pour water at #3 reactor at the crippled Fukushima nuclear power plant on Friday, according to Defense Minister Toshimi Kitazawa.

In the meantime engineers work to fix a power cable to two reactors at the plant to promote cooling on Friday.

Japan's nuclear safety agency said it was aware of the ultimate “Chernobyl solution” to contain the nuclear disaster by enclosing reactors with sand and encasing in concrete. However the current priority was to restore power supplies and cool down the reactors.

Chief Cabinet Secretary Yukio Edano told a news conference on Friday engineers were making utmost efforts to restore power to the plant but could not give a time frame for when it would be reconnected.

He also said the current evacuation perimeter around Fukushima was appropriate.

ITAR-TASS News Agency
(#654 (permalink))
Old
jurianbai (Offline)
Aselian

03-18-2011, 02:00 PM

the news is one of worst thing in this disaster. i even dunno which one is telling the most update or just making up. foreign media tends to give hiperbol report while NHK (english) is too slow, giving impression they are holding a news (or not telling the truth).

for now, I am using this wikipedia link Timeline of the Fukushima nuclear accidents - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia to see daily update on the nuclear plant. it will be good if member here who in Japan can give a clue to what going on.
(#655 (permalink))
Old
Sangetsu (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

03-18-2011, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlVercetti View Post
I'm reading every type of theory about Japan Eartquake, including that Japan launch a Megaultraiper Nuke in the Pacific and an experiment with the HAARP. I can't believe that the people are so idiot that believe the esistence of a Nuke that can unleash a power of 36,1 bilion charge of TNT. And even if a similar weapon exist, how the hell can think that Japan use it for destroy himself? I hate these people who create these really ridiculous theory. I'm reading that Japan begin to consider the idea to bury the reactors under tons of reinforced concrete.

Never underestimate the stupidity of people. Every time you think you have seen or read the stupidest thing possible, someone else will come along and outdo it.

If it were necessary to bury the reactor they would already have begun the process, it would be the easiest option. But radiation has yet to reach even the remotest fraction of that released at Chernobyl,
(#656 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

03-18-2011, 03:57 PM

"The Media" is a big word, and I would say the mainstream media in the US is NOT overplaying the radiation threat. I have two friends who have purchased potassium iodide pills, and neither of them watch, read, or trust "mainstream media". It is the fringe media that says "don't trust the mainstream media" (i.e. CNN, New York Times, USA Today, etc.) that is telling people to prepare for the worst. These are the same media sources that told people that the world would shut down for Y2K.
(#657 (permalink))
Old
manganimefan227 (Offline)
星の翼

03-18-2011, 03:58 PM

Hey, my Japanese class ghad these students from Toyota stay withb some of our families. Are they OK?
Help is much appreciated!!

My Life Sucks- The kids I babysit have drooled, ripped or drawn on all of the cards and put the cars with the little people in the microwave!

I have no Friends- The cats have scratched and destroyed all of the DVDs!

I always owe someone- In fact I put two os in it!

I always ruin my clothes with Bleach!- The show is so dom suspensful I spill my grape soda on them!

But . . .I'll live.
(#658 (permalink))
Old
Eiffel (Offline)
New to JF

03-18-2011, 04:05 PM

Quote:
"The Media" is a big word, and I would say the mainstream media in the US is NOT overplaying the radiation threat. I have two friends who have purchased potassium iodide pills, and neither of them watch, read, or trust "mainstream media". It is the fringe media that says "don't trust the mainstream media" (i.e. CNN, New York Times, USA Today, etc.) that is telling people to prepare for the worst. These are the same media sources that told people that the world would shut down for Y2K.
If your friends can't find iodide pills, salt could be a good thing for them because there is iodine in it but i don't know how much salt they can use because i think eating too much salt is not good too. Eating too much salt can cause hypernatremia which is a high level of blood sodium.

Last edited by Eiffel : 03-18-2011 at 04:29 PM.
(#659 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

03-18-2011, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eiffel View Post
If your friends can't find iodide pills, salt could be a good thing for them because there is iodine in it but i don't know how much salt they can use because i think eating too much salt is not good too. Eating too much salt can cause hypernatremia which is a high level of blood sodium.
You are missing the point. I know people who are wasting their money buying potassium iodide pills when they are 5000+ miles too far away to need them.

My friend in China sent me pics of store shelves there. All the soy sauce (high in salt) is sold out because that's what Chinese people will use to battle a radiation cloud.

That's pseudo science and is more dangerous than doing nothing.
(#660 (permalink))
Old
Eiffel (Offline)
New to JF

03-18-2011, 04:39 PM

Quote:
You are missing the point. I know people who are wasting their money buying potassium iodide pills when they are 5000+ miles too far away to need them.

My friend in China sent me pics of store shelves there. All the soy sauce (high in salt) is sold out because that's what Chinese people will use to battle a radiation cloud.

That's pseudo science and is more dangerous than doing nothing.
True that's pseudo science.