LinkBack Thread Tools
(#11 (permalink))
Old
termogard (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Post reactors - 03-13-2011, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryzorian View Post
The Russian one wasn't because it was built dureing Stalinist era and safety considerations for the local plebes wasn't high on the "to do" list.
quote :

The V.I. Lenin Nuclear Power Station (Russian: Чернобыльская АЭС им. В.И.Ленина) as it was known during the Soviet times, consisted of four reactors of type RBMK-1000, each capable of producing 1000 megawatts of electric power (3.2 GW of thermal power), and the four together produced about 10% of Ukraine's electricity at the time of the accident.[1] The Chernobyl station is 18 km (11 mi) northwest of the city of Chernobyl, 16 km (10 mi) from the border of Ukraine and Belarus and about 100 km (62 mi) north of Kiev. Construction of the plant and the nearby city of Pripyat to house workers and their families began in 1970, with reactor No. 1 commissioned in 1977. It was the third nuclear power station in the Soviet Union of the RBMK-type (after Leningrad and Kursk), and the first ever nuclear power plant on Ukrainian soil.

Wiki

Joseph Stalin died in 1953.

Other reactors of RBMK-design still work on a former Soviet soil without any problems.
(#12 (permalink))
Old
Ryzorian (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

03-14-2011, 04:52 AM

I ment his political way of thinking, wich persisted through out the 60's 70's and into the early 80's.
(#13 (permalink))
Old
cameraman (Offline)
New to JF

03-15-2011, 09:30 AM

As far as I know Chernobyl was more modern than some of the western types at this time. The danger is not the expolsion of the reactor, it is the fallout. About 30.000 to 60.000 peopel died becuse of the fallout (The Other Report on Chernobyl).
(#14 (permalink))
Old
termogard (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Post Chernobyl disaster - 03-15-2011, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cameraman View Post
As far as I know Chernobyl was more modern than some of the western types at this time. The danger is not the expolsion of the reactor, it is the fallout.
Actually, it was a mistake of personnel during accomplishing of experiment of switching reactor to unusual resumes of work.
Similar RBMK reactors have been working without any problems in St. Petersburg and Kursk regions. No failures att all.

Quote:
About 30.000 to 60.000 peopel died becuse of the fallout (The Other Report on Chernobyl).
Rubbish. Where did you find those calculations?
(#15 (permalink))
Old
Ronin4hire (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

03-15-2011, 09:49 AM

Oh wow.. Last I heard I was under the impression that the engineers would have it all under control.

I have no idea what the implications of a meltdown or partial meltdown are. But I hope it doesn't happen.
(#16 (permalink))
Old
cameraman (Offline)
New to JF

03-16-2011, 09:44 AM

Quote:
About 30.000 to 60.000 peopel died becuse of the fallout (The Other Report on Chernobyl).
Quote:
Originally Posted by termogard View Post
Rubbish. Where did you find those calculations?
As mentioned the information is from The Other Report on Chernobyl ( Torch: THE OTHER REPORT ON CHERNOBYL ). I think it is only cynical to discus if 16.000 ore 60.000 people died because of Chernobyl.
(#17 (permalink))
Old
termogard (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Post victims of Chernobyl - 03-16-2011, 09:57 AM

Quote:
As mentioned the information is from The Other Report on Chernobyl ( Torch: THE OTHER REPORT ON CHERNOBYL ). I think it is only cynical to discus if 16.000 ore 60.000 people died because of Chernobyl.
Not cynical but a very stupid thing to write about some 60 000 victims of Chernobyl. Your source is a plain fake.
Something like this one picture :
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 97f046188264.jpg (105.9 KB, 11 views)
(#18 (permalink))
Old
cameraman (Offline)
New to JF

03-16-2011, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by termogard View Post
Not cynical but a very stupid thing to write about some 60 000 victims of Chernobyl. Your source is a plain fake.
Something like this one picture :

You may read the summary first
Torch: THE OTHER REPORT ON CHERNOBYL