JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Mehran (Offline)
New to JF

Would it be possible to ditch the Fukushima plant and make a lead pyramid out of it? - 03-18-2011, 04:26 PM

So I am thinking, I am not a nuclear expert, but I know there is not a chance that a nuclear plant would explode like an atomic bomb. The main concern with a nuclear plant in crisis is the high degree of radiation. My point is that would it be possible to just bury the Fukushima plant under lead bricks just like Egyptian pyramids and done with it to save lives of those working on a seemingly losing battle? It can be a monument for the whole world to remember how dangerous the nuclear power could be. Our hearts and minds are with Japanese people and hope to see major breakthroughs soon.
(#2 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

03-18-2011, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mehran View Post
So I am thinking, I am not a nuclear expert, but I know there is not a chance that a nuclear plant would explode like an atomic bomb. The main concern with a nuclear plant in crisis is the high degree of radiation. My point is that would it be possible to just bury the Fukushima plant under lead bricks just like Egyptian pyramids and done with it to save lives of those working on a seemingly losing battle? It can be a monument for the whole world to remember how dangerous the nuclear power could be. Our hearts and minds are with Japanese people and hope to see major breakthroughs soon.
They are exploring that possibility right now. Obviously the plant will never be usable again. The goal is to make it stable, and then make it safe.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
GoNative (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

03-18-2011, 04:51 PM

Things need to be stabalised before doing what you are suggesting. Otherwise there would be full meltdown of all the nuclear material which would react and probably melt any efforts at entoming the plants and possibly cause a greater explosion. Once things are under control I would expect they will concrete the reactors up like they did in the aftermath of the Chernobyl event. The amounts of radiation in the immediate vicinity of the reactors has been quite high at times but beyond the exclusion zone of 30km they have remained well within safe limits. The situation is already reasonably well contained.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
Mehran (Offline)
New to JF

03-18-2011, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoNative View Post
Things need to be stabalised before doing what you are suggesting. Otherwise there would be full meltdown of all the nuclear material which would react and probably melt any efforts at entoming the plants and possibly cause a greater explosion. Once things are under control I would expect they will concrete the reactors up like they did in the aftermath of the Chernobyl event. The amounts of radiation in the immediate vicinity of the reactors has been quite high at times but beyond the exclusion zone of 30km they have remained well within safe limits. The situation is already reasonably well contained.
I am really glad to hear that the situation is somewhat under control.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
Eiffel (Offline)
New to JF

03-18-2011, 05:45 PM

I follow the situation and listen to the French experts and i think the decisions made aren't bad for the moment, it isn't lost yet, there are Japanese and Amercian scientists at Fukushima, they know their job.

Last edited by Eiffel : 03-18-2011 at 05:47 PM.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
siokan (Offline)
JF Old Timer

03-18-2011, 09:06 PM

Take out the nuclear fuel pin when cooling ends to some degree.
It puts in the pool for cooling, about four years are spent, and it cools completely.
A completely cold nuclear fuel is hardened with concrete and it annuls it.
Because the nuclear reactor cannot be restored, it covers with concrete and it annuls it.

It is considerably different from the case with Chernobyl.
It resembles this case closely.
Three Mile Island accident - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Please permit poor English. orz
Cryptanalysis is necessary for you.
set a goal:English at the same level as Johan Cruyff