JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Crazyanimefan666 (Offline)
New to JF

Is this a political thing or a cultrual thing? - 03-20-2011, 11:14 AM

I just spent a little time looked into the resign of the foreign minister, turns out he didn't really got money from a legit "foreigner", the old lady, a grill shop owner, who donated no more than 700 dollars to him, lived in Japan virtually all her life, and can only speak Japanese with a rural accent.

But somehow she preserved her Korean nationality, this is odd, I mean, for the rest of the world, Korea and Japan are usually considered allies, if you ask a Brazilian for example, "Are Korea and Japan very close allies?" The answer would probably be yes.

So how should we see this incident? Is it something political, like in US, the democrats' media would blow a minor mistake of the gop way out of the proportion, or is it a cultural thing? "You lived in Japan over 3 decades? Well guess what, you are still a foreigner!"

I heard, just heard, Japanese' attitude towards the outer world is rather complicated, they believe everything that is made in Japan would always be the best, BUT, they would go for huge brands like Dior, LV like a mega-sized diamond.

So how should we foreigners see this? Just another political game or a display of exclusivism?
(#2 (permalink))
Old
JohnBraden (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

03-20-2011, 11:38 AM

I think it has to do with ethics. Political members aren't allowed to receive monetary funds as it may appear as impropriety. That is my guess....