JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
robcardiv (Offline)
New to JF

Adding "Ko" to the end of a name - 04-05-2011, 06:15 AM

When you see "Ko" on the ending of a name,
does that subliminally remind you of 'child' ?
I saw a list of Japanese ladies names, and all the ones that ended in "Ko"
used "child" in the name

This might sound silly but, for example,
if you saw the name 'Akirako'
which you probably never do in japanese, i dont know.
but if you did, would just just kind of think of the words
"bright or clear" and "child" ?

for example?

Im just wondering how often "Ko" at the end of a name, makes it like child.
(#2 (permalink))
Old
tenmins (Offline)
JF Regular

04-05-2011, 06:26 AM

From what I've heard if you use the kanji for 'child' at the end of a girls name it always implies the meaning of child.

eg.
Akiko, autumn child
Yukiko, snow child

Using 'ko' at the end of the name is also considered a little old fashioned and there are lots of modern names that don't use the 'ko' at the end anymore.

Less is more...

http://www.tenmins.com
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Ronin4hire (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

04-05-2011, 06:54 AM

It's used in a lot of girls names.

I don't think I've ever met a guy with ko at the end of his name.

Japanese use -kun or -chan to address children. (Akirakun, Yurichan etc.)

I guess as a foreigner, learning what the kanji "ko" root meaning is makes me think of a child.. but I suppose it's like English surnames names with "son" (or even Arabic names with "bin" in them).

I don't think of "the son of William" when I hear the name "Joe Williamson" so when a name like Akiko is heard.. I don't think Japanese people think "Child of Autumn".
(#4 (permalink))
Old
tenmins (Offline)
JF Regular

04-05-2011, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin4hire View Post
but I suppose it's like English surnames names with "son" (or even Arabic names with "bin" in them).

I don't think of "the son of William" when I hear the name "Joe Williamson" so when a name like Akiko is heard.. I don't think Japanese people think "Child of Autumn".
Good point. Even though every Japanese name has an actual meaning they don't think about this meaning every time they use the name. But on several occasions I have seen one Japanese question another about the kanji used to write their name when it was a very unique name that they had never heard of before. It's amazing when you think about it. That kind of conversation just doesn't even exist for English names.

Less is more...

http://www.tenmins.com

Last edited by tenmins : 04-05-2011 at 07:13 AM.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
RealJames (Offline)
ボケ外人

04-05-2011, 07:30 AM

Most Japanese people I've met don't give a second thought to the meaning of their name's Kanji, it's more of a western obsession lol.
Parents tend to chose a sound they like for the name, and then see which kanji can fit that sound.
When in a name, the "ko" kanji has a strong feminine nuance, not a strong "child" nuance.

These are my observations, I'm not some final word on anything.

マンツーマン 英会話 神戸 三宮 リアライズ -James- This is my life and why I know things about Japan.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
godwine (Offline)
自爆十秒前

04-05-2011, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealJames View Post
Most Japanese people I've met don't give a second thought to the meaning of their name's Kanji, it's more of a western obsession lol.
Parents tend to chose a sound they like for the name, and then see which kanji can fit that sound.
When in a name, the "ko" kanji has a strong feminine nuance, not a strong "child" nuance.

These are my observations, I'm not some final word on anything.
Not sure what you meant by western obsession, but I do agree that they don't think about the meaning, but more of how it sound. My cousin's wife came from a fairly traditional family, and they believe in bad omens, karma and stuff like that (superstitious??). Anyways, her name is Miyuki, but they only write it in Hiragana - みゆき, and never the Kanji - 美雪, because snow melts, and thats a bad sign indicating short life.

I mean, its not a new discovery, people knew all along that snow will melt, and if they think it carries a bad fortune, then why name her Miyuki? Better yet, why not 美幸

Last edited by godwine : 04-05-2011 at 12:15 PM.
(#7 (permalink))
Old
RealJames (Offline)
ボケ外人

04-05-2011, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by godwine View Post
Not sure what you meant by western obsession, but I do agree that they don't think about the meaning, but more of how it sound. My cousin's wife came from a fairly traditional family, and they believe in bad omens, karma and stuff like that (superstitious??). Anyways, her name is Miyuki, but they only write it in Hiragana - みゆい, and never the Kanji - 美雪, because snow melts, and thats a bad sign indicating short life.

I mean, its not a new discovery, people knew all along that snow will melt, and if they think it carries a bad fortune, then why name her Miyuki? Better yet, why not 美幸
yeah why not just pretty snow lol

I meant a wester obsession as most Japanese people I know who also know many foreigners say that it's a very very common question for foreigners to ask "what's the meaning of your name's kanji" whereas most Japanese people are more likely to ask about blood type or even hobbies before that lol

マンツーマン 英会話 神戸 三宮 リアライズ -James- This is my life and why I know things about Japan.
(#8 (permalink))
Old
dogsbody70 (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

04-05-2011, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealJames View Post
yeah why not just pretty snow lol

I meant a wester obsession as most Japanese people I know who also know many foreigners say that it's a very very common question for foreigners to ask "what's the meaning of your name's kanji" whereas most Japanese people are more likely to ask about blood type or even hobbies before that lol
is it true re asking about blood type. In what way? genetically?
(#9 (permalink))
Old
RealJames (Offline)
ボケ外人

04-05-2011, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogsbody70 View Post
is it true re asking about blood type. In what way? genetically?
bloodtype to Japanese culture is like astrological symbols to western culture.

A is anal retentive, nit picker, ocd for example
AB is like bipolar between a and b lol
B is unique, independent, peculiar
O is easygoing, generous

a and b don't get along, O is cool with everyone etc etc

I'm probably butchering it but this is paraphrasing from discussions I've had with it..

lol look up blood type discrimination, it's hilarious from a western perspective

edit: because my facebook location is set to Japan, it asks me my bloodtype and shows it right up top along with relationship status etc

wiki; Blood types in Japanese culture - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

discrimination: You Are Your Blood Type (It's quoting a non-existent article so not quite a great source but the results match with my own observations so I'm putting it up as a "couldn't have said it better myself")

Last edited by RealJames : 04-05-2011 at 12:32 PM. Reason: info about facebook, and wiki, and discrimination link
(#10 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
04-05-2011, 01:57 PM

The first thing 子 makes me think is "girl" - definitely not "child". In the same way, 郎 makes me think "boy". It`s just traditional gender naming.
Most people don`t really care what the kanji used in names mean unless it`s a really unique or strange meaning... In the unique case, because they won`t be able to read it at a casual glance - and chances are they`ll only notice the meaning because they`ll wonder what possessed your parents to use them in your name.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.