JapanForum.com

JapanForum.com (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/)
-   General Discussion (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/general-discussion/)
-   -   What is japans view on England? (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/general-discussion/37176-what-japans-view-england.html)

tokusatsufan 05-18-2011 09:58 PM

Basically,the rest of the world,just read the appropriate Wikipedia pages.

Ronin4hire 05-19-2011 02:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RobinMask (Post 865313)
I think that's a whole other debate . . . but in my experience "Ireland" is almost exclusively used for the south, and "Northern Ireland" for the north. You may be right, both have a right to the name, and both are - in some respects - essentially 'Ireland', but in a discussion about the UK it is incorrect (and possibly confusing) to simply label the north as "Ireland". They are two seperate countries with highly similiar names and histories, to say "Ireland" when one means the north is asking for confusion. That's just one opinion though.

I agree.

When I say Ireland I mean the Republic of Ireland and so do must people who say the word Ireland.

Either that or they're talking about the whole Island.

But nobody would ever say Ireland and mean Northern Ireland exclusively as it's part of the UK.

JamboP26 05-19-2011 08:11 AM

Why do I confuse things further by bringing football, and religion into it? My team (Glasgow Celtic) is related to the Irish part, while rivals Rangers are related to Scotland (& now the Northern Irish part). Celtic's manager is Northern Irish, & quite successful with Celtic (thus explaining the barrage of hate from some towards him). Celtic = Catholic team, Rangers = Protestant team (Thats the religion bit). I would say Northern Ireland & Rep. Ireland don't get on all too great, but its better now than it has been. Its like when the guy was driving about Aberdeen wearing an England top with an England flag on his car. Some youth guys dragged him from his car & beat him. While I dont condone random violence, the driver brought it on himself. He should have known a minority would've seen the England gear, and hate the man himself for showing this. But I feel we're going off topic. I don't think the Japanese hear too much about these stories, but I may be wrong.

Ryzorian 05-21-2011 04:03 AM

The biggest irony is that Ireland only has about 3 and half million peeps while there are 24 million Americans of Irish decent.Includeing the President.

dogsbody70 05-21-2011 07:18 AM

The potato famine was a time of great emigration to America-- the land of Opportunity.

Americans helped the IRA in the days when the IRA was planting bombs and killing many innocent people in an effort to unite Norther Ireland with Southern Ireland.There were many attacks and car bombing in UK as well as in

parts of Ireland.

Old grudges against Britain and religion were two of the reasons.

tokusatsufan 05-25-2011 08:16 AM

Nah. Nah I disagree it doesn't specifications to possess a uniform at all.

I was trying to explain Wales in the Japanese forum last night! Maybe I am taking it to the extreme. ;)