JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
dogsbody70 (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

Uk Royal Wedding. - 04-22-2011, 11:34 AM

Is anyone here interested in watching the pageantry of the Royal Wedding here in London--?

I feel that these occasions are what makes our royalty worth having-- the spectacle of it all etc.
(#2 (permalink))
Old
JohnBraden (Offline)

04-22-2011, 11:46 AM

I watched the pomp and circumstance of the previous one back in 1981. It helped I was within an hour of the time zone. I just don't have the same curiosity about this one. Perhaps I'm older and have become more cynical about royalty. Even in my home country, Spain, I just don't follow anything royal. I won't go and say it's obsolete, but the fanfare they engender is just not for me.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
BobbyCooper (Offline)
Banned

04-22-2011, 11:58 AM

I really don't understand why people are interested in seeing this marriage.

Did people already forget what a monarch was back in the day?
(#4 (permalink))
Old
GoNative (Offline)

04-22-2011, 12:06 PM

I have little to no interest in it whatsoever. Won't be watching it. In my opinion the whole pomp and ceremony is just an incredible waste of money for an institution that should have been abolished generations ago as it serves no purpose whatsoever other than providing fodder for womens gossip magazines.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
RobinMask (Offline)
JF Old Timer

04-22-2011, 01:12 PM

Post Deleted.

Last edited by RobinMask : 01-07-2018 at 12:41 PM.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
BobbyCooper (Offline)
Banned

04-22-2011, 03:51 PM

The Royal family should send all that money which they are blowing away that day to the victims of the Japan disaster or Haiti for instance.

Now that would be a Royal act!

and the marriage could still happen behind close doors, like it should be and has been back in the day.
(#7 (permalink))
Old
RobinMask (Offline)
JF Old Timer

04-22-2011, 04:02 PM

Post Deleted.

Last edited by RobinMask : 01-07-2018 at 12:42 PM.
(#8 (permalink))
Old
BobbyCooper (Offline)
Banned

04-22-2011, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinMask View Post
Everything is about making money though . . . the royal wedding draws in more tourists than you can possibly think of, it also turns the world press onto our small island. It's a huge boost for tourism, industries, economy . . . I mean think of how much money is spent on security, dresses, transport, and then how much the businesses and people locally will earn from that. We're in a recession, people are just thankful to get some of that money thrown at them when it's so hard to get business.

I'll also mention that the royal family do a lot for charity. Princess Diana was famed for it, and I'm sure they do a lot even today . . . I have a feeling Dogsbody will know more than me, because she's older and more wiser when it comes to these kinds of things. If not other members might. I don't follow the royal family, so I can't give you many examples, but I do know they do a lot.
you mean tourists outside of Great Britian? If so, then yes it's a boom for the economy however, will it really surpass all the money which has to be invested in security and all that stuff. I mean entire London is closed off for this act isn't it?

And yes, you are right Lady Di was an amazing woman! And the Royals in general do many good things, thats true.
(#9 (permalink))
Old
RobinMask (Offline)
JF Old Timer

04-22-2011, 04:47 PM

Post Deleted.

Last edited by RobinMask : 01-07-2018 at 12:42 PM.
(#10 (permalink))
Old
BobbyCooper (Offline)
Banned

04-22-2011, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinMask View Post
No, not at all. London isn't closed off at all. Many people come to just be close to the church, watch the procession, or just be in the area to say "I was there". Also London is a huge place, bigger than what people think, just one area is partially closed off . . . it's actually great for other Brits who want to visit London without all the hustle and bustle, because everything's dead of tourists on that day, they all head off to watch the wedding. The last royal wedding I know people who said it was fanastic, they had the city to themselves.

There's a huge ammount of tourists from outside of the UK too, but if you think about it it's just the publicity in itself . . . people see 'live from the palace', or the inside of the catherdral as they marry, or the Eye in the landscape etc., and it's a 'wow, I want to go there!' kind of thing. Like how Oprah's huge Australia visit was aired on TV and supposed to be a boom for Australian tourism, the idea being you see it and you wanna go :P

I think that the money spent by the royal family mainly gets put back into the British economy in other ways, like I said earlier, and the tourism will bring up the bill for the rest. England's more than just London too, other areas will see a boom in profits also, and think about ratings on television or people who will host parties or go out to watch it on a big screen somewhere. I think the cost is large, yes, but it's worth it and will probably be more beneficial to the country than it will be a downside.
Well, then they have my blessing