LinkBack Thread Tools
(#31 (permalink))
Old
GoNative (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

05-19-2011, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinMask View Post
You know, sometimes I really wish there was a way to physically smack someone upside the head online . . . that or we could cull the stupid at birth.

Anyways, to go on topic, I do find the law system in Japan to be fascinating. It has its good sides, but it also has its bad, and I - for one - could not imagine a society that is allowed to hold someone in custody for 23 days without a solicitor present. I am relieved to know people are fighting to change these kinds of things, and - believe me - there's a lot of other things that irk me about the Japanese system, but if I am to be fair there's flaws in every judicial system. Obviously something is going right, because the crime rate is so much lower than many other western countries.
What do you think are the good sides about the Japanese legal system? The low crime rates in Japan are much more to do with social conditioning than the courts in my opinion. The lack of crime is one of the best things about living in Japan but I don't credit that to the police or legal system at all. I find it hard to think of any redeeming points for either institution.
(#32 (permalink))
Old
RobinMask (Offline)
JF Old Timer

05-19-2011, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoNative View Post
What do you think are the good sides about the Japanese legal system? The low crime rates in Japan are much more to do with social conditioning than the courts in my opinion. The lack of crime is one of the best things about living in Japan but I don't credit that to the police or legal system at all. I find it hard to think of any redeeming points for either institution.
It's interesting that you mention the low crime rate as being a part of social conditioning, rather than down to the police or legal system, I hadn't actually considered that. I personally assumed that the seemingly harsh sentences acted as a deterrent to potential criminals. I mean the sentences here are so lax, you can get around seven years in prison for murder, three for violent rapes, and crime rates seem to be getting higher and higher . . . I always admired Japan (and the US) for their strict laws and longer sentences.

I can't go into huge details about the pros and cons, as unfortunately I'm not too well versed in the details, but - from what I've seen - the good sides would be the stricter sentences, lower crime rates, and some of their general laws. I like that guns are illegal, for example, but then dislike the use of capital punishment. In the media the police seem fair, there's a distinct lack of violence, and people seem to be allowed basic rights to protest, so the police don't appear to take away the rights of the individual and try to protect those rights. There also seems to be more police on the beat, more walking the streets and police kiosks and stations in easy to find places, and - in a country where seeing a policeman once in a month is cause for surprise - it's nice to see policemen as a part of the commuinity and a visible presence.

I guess those points are more to do with the police than the laws/courts, and probably a bit trivial in the scheme of things, but I do think they provide a nice silver lining to some otherwise less positive sides to the legal system.
(#33 (permalink))
Old
BobbyCooper (Offline)
Banned

05-19-2011, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoNative View Post
It's getting way off topic but you brought up global warming in the context of a discussion about the earthquake. Some other guy had blamed the earthquake on human activity and you said 'it's true what he is saying guys'. There is no link whatsoever between the earthquake in Japan and global warming. At least I am unable to find any science out there that links what's going on in the atmosphere and earthquakes in a subduction zone. This does not show that I do not understand global warming. If you actually want to have a discussion about global warming make another thread.
First of, you started with the off topic when you attacked me out of nowhere remember?

You only need to use google dude.. all the real scientist know that a relation can't be denied. Stop bitching around and start realizing that you made a very ignorant comment alright.

Be well Scientist lol
(#34 (permalink))
Old
StonerPenguin (Offline)
loves bein' gross ಥ‿�

05-19-2011, 06:50 PM

On the topic of the age of consent in Japan:
"Although the age of sexual consent in Japan is 13 years of age, prefecture law usually overrides federal law, raising the age up to 18."

Thank goodness, although it sounds like there needs to be harsher punishments and more awareness for statutory rape.

Hey, does this rag smell like chloroform?
(#35 (permalink))
Old
RickOShay (Offline)
JF Old Timer

05-19-2011, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyCooper View Post
You are quite obsessed with me aren't you?

I never said I knew about Japan either. I have never been there btw.

I said that I Love their Asian culture and because Japan is the most intersting Asian country there is for me, I will go to Japan. Too hard to undertand?

Well, Japanese girls are quite interesting to me yes. I also plan on falling inLove with one during my time yes. Otherwise whats the point in being there without sharing the most interesting relationship in your life so far? So no time for foreigner girls, sorry!

I only need to be careful thats all. Thats why I am asking which girls I can woo and which I should be careful about.

Cause mabye you do not know that.. but girls in Japan look very, very joung compared to Western. And it's pretty easy to end up having a 16 year old on your side.

Every heard about the International age with Asians? Guess not..
Obsessed? No. I just find the things you say to be quite amusing, because they are so ridiculous many times. Take for instance what you just said in this quote. "Cause mabye you do not know that.. but girls in Japan look very, very joung compared to Western." Like, why in the hell would I not have noticed that many Japanese women look younger than their actual age compared to Western women? I mean I only see tens of hundreds of them in public every single day. LOL

You honestly think you could mistake a women for a 16 year old girl? Having interacted with many high school and middle school girls through work, I can tell you there are significant differences in how they will talk with you, and how the will dress (school uniform). Even if they are somehow out at the bar you are at drinking, which does happen (though it should not), unless you are really dense or unexperienced with women you will pick up on their age right away. So no Bobby it is not pretty easy to end up with a 16 year old by your side unless you are trying to.

Last edited by RickOShay : 05-19-2011 at 10:24 PM.
(#36 (permalink))
Old
tokusatsufan (Offline)
JF Old Timer

05-19-2011, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StonerPenguin View Post
On the topic of the age of consent in Japan:
"Although the age of sexual consent in Japan is 13 years of age, prefecture law usually overrides federal law, raising the age up to 18."
That sounds more like Japan.
(#37 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
05-19-2011, 10:49 PM

I find the report of girls having sexual experiences with much older men at a very young age a bit interesting... and pretty much opposite my experience.

I went to an all girls high school (in Japan). The topic came up a LOT, and very casually. It falls into the same level of "seriousness" as breast size. In other words, something that comes up within 15 minutes of meeting.
The norm was 16 or 17, and with guys about the same age. As it was something *good* to have experience to talk about, and older boyfriends were looked on as status symbols... (The whole "same age guys are immature" thing) Chances are there were more girls who were lying about having had sex with a college guy than those who were lying about not having had sex at all. There is no strong stigma attached to sex, and no real pressure to stay a virgin.

Only one girl I knew had done something like that (sex with much older men), and it was because she was a shallow image obsessed thing who slept with older guys to get money to buy designer bags.

I can`t see any reason women would lie now about having had sex with older men when they were 13 or 14 - so maybe it IS a different type of woman that seeks out and dates foreign men... Or who is more open to dating a foreign man.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.
(#38 (permalink))
Old
BobbyCooper (Offline)
Banned

05-19-2011, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickOShay View Post
Obsessed? No. I just find the things you say to be quite amusing, because they are so ridiculous many times. Take for instance what you just said in this quote. "Cause mabye you do not know that.. but girls in Japan look very, very joung compared to Western." Like, why in the hell would I not have noticed that many Japanese women look younger than their actual age compared to Western women? I mean I only see tens of hundreds of them in public every single day. LOL

You honestly think you could mistake a women for a 16 year old girl? Having interacted with many high school and middle school girls through work, I can tell you there are significant differences in how they will talk with you, and how the will dress (school uniform). Even if they are somehow out at the bar you are at drinking, which does happen (though it should not), unless you are really dense or unexperienced with women you will pick up on their age right away. So no Bobby it is not pretty easy to end up with a 16 year old by your side unless you are trying to.
Well seems like you a little slow up there.. so I will get that for you again!

The reason why I said that was because you accused me to go there to make out with children.

Thats why I said this "Cause mabye you do not know that.. but girls in Japan look very, very young compared to Western." So it's pretty easy to end up with a 16 year old. Also the reason why I asked at which age I would be doing a crime considering we were talking about the 1 month sentence under Japanese law suits.

Considering that I do not know the language, to mistake somebody is quite easy yes!

Now maybe?
(#39 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

05-19-2011, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyCooper View Post
Thats why I said this "Cause mabye you do not know that.. but girls in Japan look very, very young compared to Western." So it's pretty easy to end up with a 16 year old.
Your logic is backwards. If Japanese women looked OLDER than their age it might be easy to "end up" with a 16-year-old girl, but by your argument they look YOUNGER than their age, so if you end up with a 16-year-old, it is because you thought she was a few years younger.
(#40 (permalink))
Old
BobbyCooper (Offline)
Banned

05-19-2011, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
Your logic is backwards. If Japanese women looked OLDER than their age it might be easy to "end up" with a 16-year-old girl, but by your argument they look YOUNGER than their age, so if you end up with a 16-year-old, it is because you thought she was a few years younger.
I am confused now MMM It's 2 after midnight here now^^

I thought while I was writing this that I might have confused something.

well you both know what I was trying to say^^