JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Blackmariah (Offline)
Killjoy

Dating a younger guy - 05-26-2011, 08:22 PM

I was just wondering, I've been friends with this guy for about a year, and I've come to really like him and I want to ask him out. He's 20, maybe 20 1/2, and I'm 26, do you think that might be too much of an age difference?

This is what I thought, I thought you'd need me. This is what I thought, so think me naive. I'd promise you a heart you'd promise to keep. Kiss my eyes and lay me to sleep. AFI- "Prelude 12/21"
(#2 (permalink))
Old
Suki (Offline)
armed with a mind

Send a message via MSN to Suki
05-26-2011, 08:38 PM

No, I don't. Go for it!

everything is relative and contradictory ~
(#3 (permalink))
Old
WingsToDiscovery (Offline)
JF Noob

05-26-2011, 08:57 PM

I think it all depends on how you can deal with being at different points in your lives. For example, I dated a girl a few years older than me who was already out of university, and often times it was weird whenever a situation came up where we had to talk about our personal lives such as "I can't go out tonight, I have homework." We were both mentally stimulated by each other, but we just weren't on the same level when it came to our own daily responsibilities.
If you can be prepared to handle a potentially similar situation, then by all means. As far as if it's like "morally okay" or something, then yeah, that age difference is still okay IMO.

*This is not to say it's impossible for this kind of situation to work out; my parents themselves are six years apart.

I'm not a cynic; I just like to play Devil's Advocate once in a while.
My photos from Japan and around the world:
http://www.flickr.com/dylanwphotography

Last edited by WingsToDiscovery : 05-26-2011 at 09:01 PM.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
05-26-2011, 10:28 PM

Imagine your age difference 10 or 20 years down the road. Would you balk if you were 36 and he 30? You 46 and he 40?

I personally don`t think there is any problem - but it is going to depend on the two of you. Even if you are comfortable, he may feel weird dating someone older. He may be fine with it, but you might later find it awkward as he may not fit into your social circles, etc.

I know a few married couples with much larger differences who are completely happy. It just depends on the person.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
steven (Offline)
JF Old Timer

05-27-2011, 12:18 AM

I think it's fine. My wife is older than I am and things are fine. I've dated people younger than me and older than me and I have to say that older women were easier to get along with.

Just one thing: if things get serious, make sure you talk about having kids. I think that's where an age difference like that comes into play. He may feel like he's too young to have kids... meanwhile you could become unable to safely have kids.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
RealJames (Offline)
ボケ外人

05-27-2011, 12:49 AM

steven makes the same point i thought of

many 29/30yr old guys simply aren't ready for kids

if it's just for fun then have fun!

マンツーマン 英会話 神戸 三宮 リアライズ -James- This is my life and why I know things about Japan.
(#7 (permalink))
Old
Ryzorian (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

05-27-2011, 01:41 AM

Not that this matters persay..But women live longer than guys..so if your older..and you were ment to be..well..it beats beig a widow for years.
(#8 (permalink))
Old
Guza (Offline)
WTF!?

Send a message via AIM to Guza Send a message via MSN to Guza
05-27-2011, 08:41 AM

hey screw it if it feels right go for it lol its just fun the worst that can happen is he says no haha, and if he says no thennn bust out a bottle of vodka or something im sure hed be swayed by that no guy could really resist that xDD
(#9 (permalink))
Old
TalnSG (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

Send a message via ICQ to TalnSG
05-27-2011, 08:17 PM

Don't see any problem with the age difference. All that matters is personality and preferences that matter.

I once broke it off with a guy 10 years younger than me because his tastes were older and stodgier than mine.

After a certain point chronological age is irrelevant.

Only an open mind and open heart can be filled with life.
Find your voice; silence will not protect you.
(#10 (permalink))
Old
BobbyCooper (Offline)
Banned

05-27-2011, 08:54 PM

It all depends in what kinda mental state the 20 year old is. If you can have the discussion you would normally have, then why not?

But if he reached puberty a little late and is still a little unwordly.. then it could be very difficult. But maybe it's the other way around and then it's Perfect again!!