JapanForum.com

JapanForum.com (https://www.japanforum.com/forum/)
-   General Discussion (https://www.japanforum.com/forum/general-discussion/)
-   -   Japanophile - and other open discussion (https://www.japanforum.com/forum/general-discussion/37865-japanophile-other-open-discussion.html)

RealJames 06-19-2011 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnBraden (Post 868930)
Now I can understand what is meant in every tourism book about Japan when dealing with social interactions. If you are ever invited to someone's home, consider it a great honor. I do understand that in order for them to invite you, they would plan this in advance and such. But still, it's the opportunity to see an aspect of life not too many people get a glimpse of.

Quite an entertaining and informative discussion.

something else to throw into the mix,
I used to be a private English teacher, doing lessons at like starbucks and other cafes, often times after a dozen lessons or so, after the student gets to know me better, if their house is a relatively more convenient place to have a lesson, we changed to their place, always the same time each week. The guys didn't tidy much before hand, the girls always had impeccably perfect houses, spotless.

each time it happened I was surprised, and then realized that because of the professional aspect of it, it was okay (yes even with young cute girls, even more shocking is the level of trust in this country)

godwine 06-19-2011 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RealJames (Post 868929)
looking at that last link, I am quite surprised at how low the number of deaths are, it seems like 6 o'clock news material in the states

except the Super Free rapes... that's sickening

Some f them are crazy. Which one was that? Is that the university rape club thing?

JohnBraden 06-19-2011 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RealJames (Post 868932)
(yes even with young cute girls, even more shocking is the level of trust in this country)

I guess we'd all like for it to be this way, meaning we are all decent people with no "other agendas".

RealJames 06-19-2011 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by godwine (Post 868933)
Some f them are crazy. Which one was that? Is that the university rape club thing?

yeah the Super Free one... crazy shit

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnBraden (Post 868936)
I guess we'd all like for it to be this way, meaning we are all decent people with no "other agendas".

I had the agenda of getting 3500¥ from them lol!
At the time I was somewhat poor too... so I was REALLY hoping they wouldn't try to turn a lesson, which I would get paid for, into something I would never accept money for ><

JohnBraden 06-19-2011 02:31 PM

:eek:

James, shame on you!!! :D

Kayci 06-19-2011 03:00 PM

So, I should really feel honored that I am allowed to stay with my best friends family for the three weeks I am there?

^^ I think I was rude without realizing it, when I asked him to ask his mother if she knew if I could stay or not...Oops. I really owe a nice gift and big apology.

RealJames 06-19-2011 03:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kayci (Post 868941)
So, I should really feel honored that I am allowed to stay with my best friends family for the three weeks I am there?

^^ I think I was rude without realizing it, when I asked him to ask his mother if she knew if I could stay or not...Oops. I really owe a nice gift and big apology.

you owe a nice gift anyways,
and you should apologize profusely anyways, that's just expected

apologizing all the time for the strangest things is good manners in Japan ;)

Kayci 06-19-2011 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RealJames (Post 868942)
you owe a nice gift anyways,
and you should apologize profusely anyways, that's just expected

apologizing all the time for the strangest things is good manners in Japan ;)

Well I knew that...and I also have always done it...for a different reason.

I knew I owe a nice gift, but knowing this, I owe even nicer. LOL I am intruding on a family of 5, with one disabled son for three weeks. I hope Nyororin and others wont think I am more stupid now. LOL

RealJames 06-19-2011 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kayci (Post 868943)
Well I knew that...and I also have always done it...for a different reason.

I knew I owe a nice gift, but knowing this, I owe even nicer. LOL I am intruding on a family of 5, with one disabled son for three weeks. I hope Nyororin and others wont think I am more stupid now. LOL

Actually having a foreign guest is really nice for them.

Being a good host, or just hosting, or providing a service, is a respectful position, and you are allowing them to exercise that position. Of course being a good guest makes it all the more worthwhile for them. :)

about the sorry's, I still get thrown off sometimes for the things which get apologized for haha

Kayci 06-19-2011 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RealJames (Post 868945)
Actually having a foreign guest is really nice for them.

Being a good host, or just hosting, or providing a service, is a respectful position, and you are allowing them to exercise that position. Of course being a good guest makes it all the more worthwhile for them. :)

about the sorry's, I still get thrown off sometimes for the things which get apologized for haha

You would get thrown off for me. I apologize even when giving compliments.

I hope I do well. I have known their oldest son for a long time. (If anyone remembers my first post 4 years ago, he was the first boyfriend I had that was going back to Japan. xD)

I wonder what kind of gift would be appropriate though. I heard food specialty, and books are nice, but in my town, we are known for tri-tip, and thats...mainly it. (We grow pistachios and the county holds the raisin capital of the world, it claims, though.)

I have 33 days until I leave, and as it gets closer I get more stressed about what to get. I do want to make a good impression.