LinkBack Thread Tools
(#51 (permalink))
Old
nellie1208 (Offline)
JF Regular

07-17-2011, 06:01 AM

Konnichiwa!
Genki desu ka?

Based on what you were asking, they are merely staring at you because they are not used to seeing foreigners. I mean, they are staring at you because you stand out because of your differences. That's it.
(#52 (permalink))
Old
Umihito (Offline)
JF Old Timer

07-17-2011, 06:33 AM

Well I'm in Malaysia right now, and for those who are worried about people staring at you in Japan, then you have no idea...

In Malaysia, I've been stared at so much I may as well have been wearing a clown costume. At least every other person has glanced at me for a few seconds at least, both men and women.

And the strange thing is, I would consider more white people to be visible here than in Japan.

In Japan last year, I actually can't even remember one instance in which I was stared at. Not even one. But here in Malaysia, it's a stare-apalooza.

So if you don't like being stared at, Japan's fine for you. If you want to be stared at as a white person, then come to Malaysia and you'll get more than your fill of curious eyes.
(#53 (permalink))
Old
japan1234567 (Offline)
JF Regular

07-17-2011, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryzorian View Post
Yes, I was just kidding around. But it was to point out the underlying effect Americans and white guys in general have had in that region of the world...
Hi Ryzorian, that's it. To have White skin there means to be rich and noble. Hundred years persisting ideology because the poor working farmers in rice fields have had dark skins from the sun and the rich just managed everythings in the shadow of their castles.
In my last trip to Japan a very good Japanese friend liked the kind Japanese barmaid in a bar in Tokyo. After some cups of rice wine "sake" he told me: "Have you seen, she has white skin. She's beautiful"
Fukuoka people have mostly sunburnt skin like Brazilian - please don't kill me if I say this - but surprisingly JAL (Japan Airline) flight attendant staff in the international airport there were white skin Japanese. My Japanese work friend was again liking this
In Bangkok a Thai translater told me that Bangkok girls are beautiful because they have white skin. And that in south of the country girls are not white!
Well! Time has changed and we are no more living in Middle Ages. Western girls and men are taking sun baths to get dark skin for being attractive. But apparently history, customs and practice are still kept in many people's minds

Last edited by japan1234567 : 07-17-2011 at 01:06 PM.
(#54 (permalink))
Old
BobbyCooper (Offline)
Banned

07-17-2011, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umihito View Post
Well I'm in Malaysia right now, and for those who are worried about people staring at you in Japan, then you have no idea...

In Malaysia, I've been stared at so much I may as well have been wearing a clown costume. At least every other person has glanced at me for a few seconds at least, both men and women.

And the strange thing is, I would consider more white people to be visible here than in Japan.

In Japan last year, I actually can't even remember one instance in which I was stared at. Not even one. But here in Malaysia, it's a stare-apalooza.

So if you don't like being stared at, Japan's fine for you. If you want to be stared at as a white person, then come to Malaysia and you'll get more than your fill of curious eyes.
Uhh!! I have to disagree completely with this comment. Don't know why you are saying this but..

I have traveled throughout the whole country and stayed the longest time in the capital Kuala Lumpur. I spend 1 month in Malaysia alone.

No one stares at you in this country. They are very used to seeing white people over there I guess. Not even in the upper north or close to the borders to Thailand.

Same counts for Singapur and the tourist stronghold Thailand. The Ladyboys and hookers do show you a lot of attention^^ but others are very used to tourists from all over the World.
(#55 (permalink))
Old
RobinMask (Offline)
JF Old Timer

07-17-2011, 12:37 PM

Sorry! Deleted comment. Misread who a reply was aimed at >_<

Forget I even said anything.
(#56 (permalink))
Old
Umihito (Offline)
JF Old Timer

07-18-2011, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyCooper View Post
Uhh!! I have to disagree completely with this comment. Don't know why you are saying this but..

I have traveled throughout the whole country and stayed the longest time in the capital Kuala Lumpur. I spend 1 month in Malaysia alone.

No one stares at you in this country. They are very used to seeing white people over there I guess. Not even in the upper north or close to the borders to Thailand.

Same counts for Singapur and the tourist stronghold Thailand. The Ladyboys and hookers do show you a lot of attention^^ but others are very used to tourists from all over the World.
Well it must just be something about me then, but what it could be I have no idea. All I know is I'm being stared at a lot.

Especially on the train today, I was just looking forward, and in the corner of my eye I noticed the lady on the seat next to me was just drilling her eyes at the side of my head. :L

Well I did have a taxi driver who thought I was Chinese, and still thought so even when I said I wasn't, so maybe they're just trying to figure me out lol
I'm fully white, but have black, thick hair and dark brown eyes and such, so who knows...
(#57 (permalink))
Old
dogsbody70 (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

07-18-2011, 10:48 AM

isn't it natural to be intrigued by strangers who are obviously from another country or nation.

A lot depends if one lives in a city where it is normal to encounter people from around the world-- and probably not give them a second glance, but in a small town where there are less foreigners-- it is more natural to notice them. Of course we all know that it is rude to stare------

If I saw Geisha in Japan I would want to gaze at their beauty and uniqueness.
(#58 (permalink))
Old
Umihito (Offline)
JF Old Timer

07-18-2011, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogsbody70 View Post
isn't it natural to be intrigued by strangers who are obviously from another country or nation.

A lot depends if one lives in a city where it is normal to encounter people from around the world-- and probably not give them a second glance, but in a small town where there are less foreigners-- it is more natural to notice them. Of course we all know that it is rude to stare------

If I saw Geisha in Japan I would want to gaze at their beauty and uniqueness.
Yeah, I can see why, with me being different and all.
But the reason I'm shocked so much by it is because in Britain, there are Pakistanis and Indians around, but no one ever stares at them.

Then again, I guess that could be because they're quite commonplace now, but still, they're foreigners speaking another language, and no one here really cares.
same with black people, Asians etc etc. It's why I just don't understand why other people care so much.
(#59 (permalink))
Old
japan1234567 (Offline)
JF Regular

07-18-2011, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umihito View Post
Well I did have a taxi driver who thought I was Chinese, and still thought so even when I said I wasn't, so maybe they're just trying to figure me out lol
I'm fully white, but have black, thick hair and dark brown eyes and such, so who knows...
Malaysia is a tough country. After Malysian race riots at 1969 a new Economic Policy has been established protecting the Malay country majority race from the business strong Chinese minority. If you're forefather are Japanese and you still look a little bit Japanese, so in many countries people can't differentiate between Japanese and Chinese. I spent some weeks their and in the villages local people are curious and they stared at tourists. Kula Lumpur is different. Nobody cares
(#60 (permalink))
Old
Umihito (Offline)
JF Old Timer

07-20-2011, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by japan1234567 View Post
Malaysia is a tough country. After Malysian race riots at 1969 a new Economic Policy has been established protecting the Malay country majority race from the business strong Chinese minority. If you're forefather are Japanese and you still look a little bit Japanese, so in many countries people can't differentiate between Japanese and Chinese. I spent some weeks their and in the villages local people are curious and they stared at tourists. Kula Lumpur is different. Nobody cares
Haha, yeah.

I guess I'll come clean then. I'm not actually staying in the city, Kuala Lumpur. Which instantly means that no matter what country you're in youll get more attention. BUT I have visited KL several times, and I'm only staying about 1 hour outside the city... but still, somewhere where tourists don't ever go.

But still, even outside Tokyo I never noticed any stares at all. The closest I came to one was on a train down in Kanagawa, where a young girl (like 7 years old or so) looked at me for a second when I sat in the seat next to her lol