JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
voom (Offline)
New to JF

Help me solve this mystery? *may contain disturbing material* - 07-02-2011, 04:37 PM

Hi, people. I apologise if I'm posting in the wrong section. I also apologise if you have found this to be very disturbing.

Ok, here goes:

On March 21 2006, a young woman (Akiko Yamaguchi) died after falling from the roof of a 11 story office building connected to her apartment complex in Chuo-ku of Chiba-shi. The police said that her suicide was mostly due to the influence of the drug called Methamphetamine.

Before she died, she had her own Internet life. She used to interact with an English speaking forum (EurasianNation proboard) and MySpace.

After when her friend announced that Aki died, so many people have speculated whether or not she was really dead. The EurasianNation people claimed that her death was staged mainly because the IP address of Aki's computer was used to make a new account on the board after her death. So much speculation have had erupted.

There's an unoffical article from a different forum (mydeathspace) that discussed her death. Here's the link:

Akiko 'Aki' Yamaguchi (18) committed suicide by jumping from the 23rd floor of her building - MyDeathSpace.com

More discussion on her death is found here:
Akiko 'Aki' Yamaguchi (18) committed suicide by jumping from the 23rd floor of her building

Aki's friend had made a memorial page for Aki:

Virtual Memorials

The page mentioned "Translated from 03/21 Tokyo Shimbun Evening Edition (archived online)." so this offical article came from http://www.tokyo-np.co.jp/

And one of the guestbook comments from that memorial page:

Quote:
Hello. My name is David Reeve and I work at JTB's Tokyo Office. I also live in an apartment complex in Higashi-nihonbashi, Chuo-ku, opposite to the complex where this tragedy occurred. I would first like to express my deep sadness that this has happened to young Akiko, and the fact that Japanese society allows this to continuously happen to young people distresses me to no end. I would like to correct the translated article and state that the apartment complex next to where this horrible tragedy occurred is an 11 story building. The 23 story building is in fact an office building for several IT and import / export companies. I remember reading an article in another newspaper, possibly Yomiuri, clarifying this and informing that although she resided at the 11 story complex, she in fact fell from the 23 story office building next to the complex. I am completely perplexed as to how she managed to reach the rooftop of the office building. I had worried for days after that night of sirens and shouting and my worries were finally met with the sad realization that another young person had become a victim of this cruel and unforgiving society. I am acquainted with several residents of Akiko's apartment complex and though these matters are very hush-hush in Japan I can, if you wish, make contact and find if there is any way to send flowers or remembrance to her family.
Anyways, nobody had posted any actual Japanese newspaper source linking to her death. Not sure why...

So, guys. Can you please help us end this mystery?
I don't know the Japanese characters used for Aki's name, but can you please visit
http://www.tokyo-np.co.jp/ and search for her actual name? If it's nothing there, can you also look for her via google?

Thanks so much !

Last edited by voom : 07-02-2011 at 04:40 PM.
(#2 (permalink))
Old
JohnBraden (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

07-02-2011, 05:27 PM

Two weird posts in two years is concerning me a bit. But the main question I have is: why wait 5 years to try to resolve a suicide?
(#3 (permalink))
Old
siokan (Offline)
JF Old Timer

07-02-2011, 06:29 PM

The majority of the dead person are not written in the article.

The article that it seemed was not found though it retrieved with Google.

http://www.tokyo-np.co.jp/
The inspection of an old article is charged.

Please permit poor English. orz
Cryptanalysis is necessary for you.
set a goal:English at the same level as Johan Cruyff
(#4 (permalink))
Old
SHAD0W (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

07-03-2011, 09:45 AM

I gotta ask, OP. Why do you care so much?

I'm sorry for all the bad stuff I said and all the feelings I hurt.. Please forgive me
(#5 (permalink))
Old
deviangel (Offline)
Banned

07-03-2011, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHAD0W View Post
I gotta ask, OP. Why do you care so much?
curious may be, n up 2 him lol
(#6 (permalink))
Old
voom (Offline)
New to JF

07-11-2011, 06:12 PM

Why did I wait for 5 years? I guess I procrastinate too much!

Quote:
Originally Posted by siokan View Post
The majority of the dead person are not written in the article.

The article that it seemed was not found though it retrieved with Google.

http://www.tokyo-np.co.jp/
The inspection of an old article is charged.
So I gather, according to your post, that the certain article is not found on that website; even though the Virtual Memorials page mentioned that the article was "archived online".

Hmm, this could be true because one of the users from the MDS thread reported:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ymat
The one solid piece of information I found regarding Aki's death was an online article on a Tokyo newspaper website containing Japanese text, which I could not read, and a black and white school photo of a young girl closely resembling a Aki. I used AltaVista's BabelFish and the dates and general information seemed to indicate that it was the article posted on her Virtual-Memorials page. This article has since been properly translated by someone, but the original online version is no longer available.
I just gotta wonder, why did they remove it? Is it really normal for such websites (e.g. tokyo-np or any other Japanese newspapers) to remove some articles (especially suicide-related ones) on thier websites?

And if it's true that old articles aren't free to investigate, then I'll be willing to make a payment.
(#7 (permalink))
Old
manganimefan227 (Offline)
星の翼

07-11-2011, 10:35 PM

Why don't they just put something like those patio sun covers in front of those tall buildings to cushion these falls so people couldn't die this way anymore?

My Life Sucks- The kids I babysit have drooled, ripped or drawn on all of the cards and put the cars with the little people in the microwave!

I have no Friends- The cats have scratched and destroyed all of the DVDs!

I always owe someone- In fact I put two os in it!

I always ruin my clothes with Bleach!- The show is so dom suspensful I spill my grape soda on them!

But . . .I'll live.