JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Summersun75 (Offline)
New to JF

Need help understanding a statement in Japanese - 07-06-2011, 04:59 PM

Hello! Currently, I am studying Japanese 1 and 2, but I have only gotten to a certain point. I need a little help understanding a statement in Japanese if anyone would be willing...

Here is the statement: "感情が経営に影響するのは吉か、それとも凶か."
(#2 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

07-06-2011, 05:06 PM

I would read it as, "Is being able to keep one's emotions in check a good thing or a bad thing?"
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Summersun75 (Offline)
New to JF

Thank you - 07-06-2011, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
I would read it as, "Is being able to keep one's emotions in check a good thing or a bad thing?"
Thank you MMM! Ah ha, so it is a question, not statement?
(#4 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
07-06-2011, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
You`re missing the 経営 - Is the effect emotions have on business good or bad? Is how I would read it...

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
Summersun75 (Offline)
New to JF

07-06-2011, 06:14 PM

Ah, that makes sense! Thank you both! I appreciate it
(#6 (permalink))
Old
masaegu (Offline)
永遠の愛

07-07-2011, 02:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summersun75 View Post
Hello! Currently, I am studying Japanese 1 and 2, but I have only gotten to a certain point. I need a little help understanding a statement in Japanese if anyone would be willing...

Here is the statement: "感情が経営に影響するのは吉か、それとも凶か."
I hate to say this when the sentence comes straight out of a textbook but I find it to be very strange. It's like I, a grey-haired Japanese-speaker, can only guess what the speaker would have wanted to say instead of the phrase naturally telling me what it means. When it takes an effort like that on the reader's part, one usually has a poorly-constructed sentence.

I just asked a couple of other Japanese-speakers around me and they seem to agree. We are all saying that that is not how the phrase 「吉か、それとも凶か」 should be used.

Your Japanese proficiency shall be in direct proportion
to your true interest in the Japanese Mind.
(#7 (permalink))
Old
Summersun75 (Offline)
New to JF

07-07-2011, 03:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by masaegu View Post
I hate to say this when the sentence comes straight out of a textbook but I find it to be very strange. It's like I, a grey-haired Japanese-speaker, can only guess what the speaker would have wanted to say instead of the phrase naturally telling me what it means. When it takes an effort like that on the reader's part, one usually has a poorly-constructed sentence.

I just asked a couple of other Japanese-speakers around me and they seem to agree. We are all saying that that is not how the phrase 「吉か、それとも凶か」 should be used.

Thank you Masaegu! That is so funny/interesting! Maybe because it was a twitter message? Ms. Nyororin & Mr. MMM were correct in their combined observations of the question it seems. Apparently he feels that he is needing help with handling emotions when dealing with business.?.? Strange because I did not think admitting weakness in business (in any sense) was the Japanese way, unless there is a fault or grievance. Maybe I am still learning... Anyhow, thank you so much for taking care to help!