JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
APoeticTurtle (Offline)
New to JF

A whale of a request - 07-11-2011, 04:26 PM

I am hoping someone might be willing to let me send them $$ and then send me a package with a few cans of whale.

I had a Japanese foreign exchange student living with me a while back who, at my request, had his family send us some. It was DELICIOUS!!!
(#2 (permalink))
Old
manganimefan227 (Offline)
星の翼

07-12-2011, 05:05 AM

-Claps- Yeah, you tell them!

My Life Sucks- The kids I babysit have drooled, ripped or drawn on all of the cards and put the cars with the little people in the microwave!

I have no Friends- The cats have scratched and destroyed all of the DVDs!

I always owe someone- In fact I put two os in it!

I always ruin my clothes with Bleach!- The show is so dom suspensful I spill my grape soda on them!

But . . .I'll live.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
RealJames (Offline)
ボケ外人

07-12-2011, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nippom View Post
No offense, but AFAIC all whales are intelligent endangered species.
Why would anyone want to kill one, let alone eat it?
As a rule, they don't go around killing people, let alone eating us.
Even killer whales seem not to go in for that kind of thing.
Please reconsider your POV and consider finding something else to eat, like ika (squid).
That's all I have to say for this thread, thank you.
I'm not into eating whale either, but, I think you should consider different arguments as to why it's not right because;

Why would anyone want to kill a cow, let alone eat it?
Even killer cows seem not to go in for that kind of thing.
Please reconsider your POV and consider finding something else to eat, like bacon.

or

Why would anyone want to kill a carrot, let alone eat it?
Even killer carrots seem not to go in for that kind of thing.
Please reconsider your POV and consider finding something else to eat, like pickles.

or better yet

Why not consider eating humans?
As a rule, they do go around killing other people, and sometimes eat them too.
Especially killer people seem to go in for that kind of thing.
Please reconsider your POV and consider finding a person eat, like lean murderer.

マンツーマン 英会話 神戸 三宮 リアライズ -James- This is my life and why I know things about Japan.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
spicytuna (Offline)
JF Old Timer

07-12-2011, 04:01 PM

(#5 (permalink))
Old
evanny (Offline)
devil's advocate

07-12-2011, 04:44 PM

muahaha. James. good one! i take my hat of to you

is it really tasty? i know taste differs from people to people but still. is it like salmon? or is whale not so much as a fish but more like some sort of animal meat?
im not big on fish. usually eat only grilled salmon or fresh cured/smoked sea bass with some salt, dill and a beer. just perfect.

i saw a movie, about icelandics i think, where they prepared a whale as a delicacy by letting it rot outside for like a month. but i must admit that the meat looked fantastic - beautiful and white...gave me the "munches"? correct? Brazilians and stoners say that...
(#6 (permalink))
Old
evanny (Offline)
devil's advocate

07-12-2011, 07:11 PM

it is not point less to play "what if game" because each of his points were actual, valid points. except for the carrot since as far as we know it has no intelligence and you stressed that part.
if most people on the planet liked whale meat it would be the best thing ever for them. look at animals most people eat - cows, pigs, chickens. non of them face extinction because they are demanded. there are more chickens in the world than there are people. if everyone started eating pandas and whales then mass breeding of those animals would start and the threat of extinction would no longer exist.

so. if you want to save a species then simply get people to eat them
(#7 (permalink))
Old
RickOShay (Offline)
JF Old Timer

07-12-2011, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nippom View Post
Okay I'll make an exception and give a 2nd reply.

People can play that game of 'what if' all day long, and it's lots of fun I'll grant.

But I'm talking about one thing, whales.
That is my point.
That's it.

As per my quote above, I am in agreement with spicytuna that the general thrust, mood, and tone of voice of this thread is trolling and ask that it be locked.

Arigatou.
I do not think the OP is trolling. Just because you think that certain animals should be taken off the menu because you believe they are something special does not mean people who do not hold that same belief are somehow trolling because it offends you. Perhaps the notion does not even occur to them.

Personally I do not like whale meat either, but if a person or culture considers them to be a food source etc, I have no right to stop them as long as they are hunted responsibly. No matter what you say whales are not on an equal rights level with humans, but then again what is the point, logic and reason does not work with animal rights activists because they just think with their emotions anyway. Anyhow this is another one that has been argued into the ground and I have no desire to carry it further, since it will not change anything (as far as what I think). I just wanted to say it for the record.

Last edited by RickOShay : 07-12-2011 at 10:59 PM.
(#8 (permalink))
Old
WingsToDiscovery (Offline)
JF Noob

07-12-2011, 10:09 PM

I saw some joint in Shibuya that served whale one night; I went somewhere else instead with the intentions of going back later that night but ended up not doing it. When in Rome, I figure.

But I agree with the others. Whale is only as extinct as it's demand for it.

I'm not a cynic; I just like to play Devil's Advocate once in a while.
My photos from Japan and around the world:
http://www.flickr.com/dylanwphotography
(#9 (permalink))
Old
Ryzorian (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

07-13-2011, 01:17 AM

Shark isn't too terrible...if it's done right. I perfer calamari.

Whale feeds entire Eskimo villages in Alaska, Though I think they also supplement that with seals and fish.
(#10 (permalink))
Old
OHayou (Offline)
JF Old Timer

07-13-2011, 01:26 AM

In response to the rebuttal using cows, carrots, and humans the main point, I believe, that was missed was the "No offense, but AFAIC all whales are intelligent endangered species." so I'm not sure it is a very good comparison to use the cows, carrots, and humans but I agree that different viewpoints exist with this topic.

You live in Japan right James?? Is whale common over there as a menu item? In the old days (help me out here people I'm working on a story I heard) they hunted whale for food out of necessity since Japan is an island country so this is where the hunting stems from. That is probably the reason it's still on the menu??

It's a good topic point regardless of if it's a "troll" or not because it's a touchy subject and it's interesting to see the different viewpoints on it. Especially with people like James (i'm assuming you live in Japan) who were born in one country where eating whale may have been taboo and living in another where they do eat whale. Has your perspective been changed I wonder or not at all? Just curious!