JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Obba3 (Offline)
New to JF

Send a message via Skype™ to Obba3
07-17-2011, 06:16 PM

I have studied about ionizing radiation and is it just me that dont feel afraid about this?

The tools they use to count the radiation messure alpha and beta radiation as well and those are in fact the most lethal radiatons but they cant enter your body unless you eat it some how, like lick the ground or something.
I know people that have swollowed radioactive material and got a nice dose of radiation, but that in comparison isnt near the radiation a physic scientist that studie radiation have been exposed to.

I think people fear more the word ionizing radiation and Sievert then the danger its self.

But what do i know, im still a studient. Much to learn left.

I live in Sweden, native speech is Swedish my secound language is English. And im currently study japanese.
Feel free to ask about Sweden if you are interested.

はじめまして、わたしはロバートです よろしくおねが いします。
(#2 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
07-18-2011, 04:45 AM

Personally, I don`t trust pretty much any of the geiger counter data coming from the hands of the average guy out there.

Most of the radiation counters out there in the average person`s hands are the cheapest of the cheap and very poorly calibrated. If you check the documentation included with them, they always tell you to calibrate with a known source. Medical and educational centers will often offer this service, but... I have yet to hear of anyone actually doing it. They pop the batteries in and are on their way. This is why you`ll see some drastically differing figures between people in the exact same locations. The lower quality the counter, the less chance they bothered to even do the most basic calibration before sending it out.

I`ve encountered one that told me I was emitting 3μSv/hr just standing there, which would have been pretty horrific had it been true. (Proper calibration made it much more realistic...)

I agree that there is going to be higher radiation in dust and such on the ground than in the air - I am hesitant to just take anyone`s word for just how much. Having seen the wonderful quality and accuracy of the low-ish cost devices sold like crazy after the tsunami, unless they can say they had it calibrated and tested at a university or medical center, I`ll just stick to the measurements taken by universities and official centers.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.