JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
evanny (Offline)
devil's advocate

changing anthem - 07-19-2011, 07:57 PM

in my country the question has been raised weather or not to change the anthem. personally i don't like our current anthem. has no "punch" behind it and too many "god bless latvia" for my taste.
while the new one also has the god themes in it, it is connected to our ancient gods (something like Thor and alike). and this one is just AWESOME! makes hairs on my back to stand up
i am interested in what you think about countries changing their anthems. is ok? or a big no no for you?
i will give you a link to the new one. if you want it could give you also a translation, but it would be rather hard since half of the words are in "ancient latvian" or "traditional latvian" which are close to impossible to translate without a help of a whole sentence.

so. tell me what you think about this song. there are anthems that i don't understand and i still like. so, would be nice if you would let me know since it may represent my country some day...that is if old farts and over religious people will know how to STFU

the song is called "The Sun, The Thunder, The Daugava(name of a river)"

‪Saule,Perkons,Daugava‬‏ - YouTube
(#2 (permalink))
Old
JohnBraden (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

07-19-2011, 08:31 PM

You should suggest an anthem without lyrics, like the one from my native Spain. That way, no one is hurt, even though it is called The Royal March.... and we all know how monarchies are seen as obsolete around the world...(not so much in Japan, though)
(#3 (permalink))
Old
evanny (Offline)
devil's advocate

07-19-2011, 08:48 PM

we must have lyrics. we even have song festival with 50 000 professional singers every 4 years.check out this video ‪Song wars - „You Won't Believe It Until You See It"‬‏ - YouTube

Latvia is a very song loving country - a huge part of peoples lives. almost every family has at least one kid who either dances traditional latvian dances (in background of latvian traditional music) or sings in a traditional quire. and everyone fights for the chance to take part in that song festival.