JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Realism (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Question for the Native Japanese people on this site - 07-21-2011, 12:58 AM

What do you guys think about Japanese rappers/Hip-Hop artists?

Or how does the Japanese society view this artform/music?

I know there's a music forum but I want to ask this in the general board forum because it might have more responses, and I've never really heard this topic talked about anywhere.

Because American Hip-Hop has always been to a large degree, lambasted and chastised by the American public even when it was popular, even when there was diverse Hip-Hop music playing on radios and television. The American public always looked at Hip-Hop as bunch of ignorant buffoons clicking and whistling (or lyrics degrading to women or promoting violence etc..)

Now obviously Japanese society is different from American society. And I didn't even know Japanese Hip-Hop, this subculture really existed. But when I found out, I really really like their music. It really reminded me of the 90s Hip-Hop where talent was actually recognized. But I have rarely even heard Japanese people talk about this, I've been to Japanese BBS boards to hear their thoughts but mostly its fans of the music. I want to know what the general Japanese people think of this. Are they embarrassed, do they think it's trash? Do they like it? Do any "normal" Japanese person actually listens to this stuff?

What is the general opinion of Japanese towards this?

And here are some (good) Japanese rap for those who aren't familiar.

‪O2 1st ALBUM "STAY TRUE" PV曲「街道14」‬‏ - YouTube

‪MSC-六丁目団地‬‏ - YouTube

‪MSC-音信不通‬‏ - YouTube

‪KAN-漢流の極論‬‏ - YouTube

Now, I'm still learning Japanese so I can't 100% understand the lyrics. Only some of it, so I can't say I know exactly what they're saying. But they at least don't seem derogatory or anything of the sort.

I'm sure a Japanese person can understand everything. So if you do understand, do you think they're talking nonsense and gibberish? Do you think it's just stupidity and just chinpira gangster stuff? I'd really like to know.

Also for some reason I never see their music videos on TV. I guess they're banned?
(#2 (permalink))
Old
siokan (Offline)
JF Old Timer

07-21-2011, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Realism View Post
Are they embarrassed, do they think it's trash?
No
Quote:
Do they like it?
don't mind
Quote:
Do any "normal" Japanese person actually listens to this stuff?
so so
Quote:
What is the general opinion of Japanese towards this?
don't mind
Quote:
So if you do understand, do you think they're talking nonsense and gibberish?
No
Quote:
Do you think it's just stupidity and just chinpira gangster stuff?
No
Quote:
Also for some reason I never see their music videos on TV. I guess they're banned?
"salable" or "Push" are broadcast in TV.

Please permit poor English. orz
Cryptanalysis is necessary for you.
set a goal:English at the same level as Johan Cruyff
(#3 (permalink))
Old
mako (Offline)
New to JF

Send a message via Skype™ to mako
07-21-2011, 04:38 PM

Though MSC was considered underground and dope during 2002 to 2006, they now are just wack.

I'm a native and love Japanese HipHop as much as USA's. I should say "normal" Japanese person doesn't listen to those rap songs. People in my country still think like "how can Japanese rap?".

I don't think they're talking only nonsense and gibberish. Of course some are, but not everybody.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
Fr3sh (Offline)
JF Regular

07-21-2011, 06:16 PM

I'm glad you've made this thread Realism, I'm a HUGE hip-hop\rap fan and I listen to a lot American Rap but only last year have I started to listen to French Rap which is REALLY REALLY REALLY good! IMO which as good if not better than the American rap. The lyrical content, the rhyme schemes and the phonetics of the words make it sooooo smooth! Here's one example

‪Soprano feat R.E.D.K - Starting Block - La Colombe (2010)‬‏ - YouTube

Even if you don't understand it, it still sounds super nice.

Anyways I wanted to try out Japanese rap and I've only listen to a bit of Teriyaki Boyz and they're alright I guess nothing amazing, can you recommend some to me?