LinkBack Thread Tools
(#91 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

08-27-2011, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evanny View Post
maybe it is the case where they are taught racism these days. however, there was a point when first white people met first asians, blacks and the rest of ethnicities. what was the first thing they did once they saw them - war and slavery.
That simply isn't true. Far from the first thing.
(#92 (permalink))
Old
evanny (Offline)
devil's advocate

08-27-2011, 03:56 PM

i was under impression you would have guessed it by now that i speak in broad terms when i say "when first met blacks, asians etc and a war broke out" it wasn't so simple, i know, but it definitely wasn't love for another human being that broke out.

in this case it is not so much about the statements you chose that make you get to the conclusion, rather than the conclusion itself. and i don't believe i am wrong about it.
(#93 (permalink))
Old
nellie1208 (Offline)
JF Regular

08-27-2011, 05:13 PM

every country has their own beliefs, and it depends on their culture as well .
(#94 (permalink))
Old
tokusatsufan (Offline)
JF Old Timer

08-27-2011, 09:41 PM

It's funny,I was watching Doctor Who before that is supposed to be so British and we are all supposed to identify with it and it had things like the female role model calling her boyfriend gay,there was sexism,Mels is one of not very many black characters,the show has gone downhill very fast and very easily. And there are times this year that have been great for us but would scare little kids. Last year was just right,now they're just out to shock.

So maybe being patriotic is not all it's cracked up to be. When you move to another country you don't want to be known as ''English'' or ''American'' anyway,it's why you moved!

I can see what the UK should be,and the X Factor's getting better but there's a lot going wrong with this country.

Last edited by tokusatsufan : 08-27-2011 at 09:49 PM.
(#95 (permalink))
Old
Ryzorian (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

08-28-2011, 02:56 AM

In basic terms it comes down to "tribalism". MY group of guys is better than yours. You see it in sports, gameing, anywhere people compete. Nationalism is just Tribalism taken to the next level. Hell, even if we managed to set aside all our differences and become one united world, we would simply fight what ever alien race we came into contact with because it would be Humans verse Aliens.

As long as competition exists, tribalism will exist. There's no point removeing competion because that's what drives us to become better, to improvise, adapt, overcome. Kill competion and you kill humanity.
(#96 (permalink))
Old
GoNative (Offline)

08-28-2011, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryzorian View Post
As long as competition exists, tribalism will exist. There's no point removeing competion because that's what drives us to become better, to improvise, adapt, overcome. Kill competion and you kill humanity.
To rid ourselves of competition we'd have to rid ourselves of avarice, pride, egotism and not covet what others have. Actually sounds pretty good to me and not likely to kill humanity at all although it would deifinitely be a death knell to capitalism. That sounds pretty good to me as well since capitalism is about greed and nothing else. Hardly a thing that's good for humanity!
(#97 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

08-29-2011, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evanny View Post
i was under impression you would have guessed it by now that i speak in broad terms when i say "when first met blacks, asians etc and a war broke out" it wasn't so simple, i know, but it definitely wasn't love for another human being that broke out.

in this case it is not so much about the statements you chose that make you get to the conclusion, rather than the conclusion itself. and i don't believe i am wrong about it.
You said it. I don't agree. If you want to take it back, that is cool. If you want to say "I speak in broad terms", then that is cool. But what you said is not true.So basing your argument on that not true-ism makes your argument less-than-true. That's all I have to say on the topic, at this point.
(#98 (permalink))
Old
tokusatsufan (Offline)
JF Old Timer

08-29-2011, 12:35 PM

If patriotism means countries all try and be more inclusive than each other,and see who can be the most politically correct that's a good thing.

Sadly it doesn't seem to work like that.
(#99 (permalink))
Old
Ryzorian (Offline)

08-29-2011, 06:06 PM

Politically Correct is just thought police foreceing people to conform to what they think is "the right way to think".

Gonative, without the drive that "greed" brings you won't have anyone striveing to build homes, grow food, build elctro dams, creat medicine, fly to space. They would all sit around listlissly, wither and die. Survival is nature's instinctive way to insure species propogation and it's all about greed. You drive away any one else who competes with your ability to survive and only form unions and alliances with those who help your ability to survive.

While I do agree that your utopian culture would be wonderful, it's not practical with how man is built genetically. I do believe there will be a day when that sociaty will exist, but it will be force and destruction that ushures it's arrival.
(#100 (permalink))
Old
DragonNL (Offline)
JF Old Timer

08-29-2011, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryzorian View Post
While I do agree that your utopian culture would be wonderful, it's not practical with how man is built genetically. I do believe there will be a day when that sociaty will exist, but it will be force and destruction that ushures it's arrival.
Sure, I allways wash my car with mud..