LinkBack Thread Tools
(#31 (permalink))
Old
dogsbody70 (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

08-23-2011, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryzorian View Post
The firebombing campaign was horrendous, it accounted for more death and destruction that both Nagisaki and Horishima combined. 100,000 were killed in Tokyo in one night. The firestorm was so intense the wind comeing out of the city caused such turbolence that it actually knocked one of the American bombers out of the sky.
You know Ryzorian I never knew about that until my Japanese friend told me-- since then I have been doing alot of research-- Most people I know assume that Nagasaki and Hiroshima were the only places bombed Atomic Bomb, but the way so many cities were firebombed was absolutely appalling. I certainly never knew-- which is why I like to learn more by reading and dvd's that I have etc.

In fact in this country-- apart from those who had been affected by the Pacific war here in UK-- there was hardly anymention about the Pacific war-- we used to celebrate VJ day but I for one did not know what it meant. Until we heard about the atrocities committed on POWS--French/ Australian/ \\dutch/ British and the americans etc.. I never even knew why our troops were involved at all. Many remember the atrocities committed--when I read Surviving the Sword it was appalling.

so many Japanese people did suffer terribly-- so it is a miracle how they recovered.

I like to learn from history. I try to see both sides.

The book I am reading refers mostly to the americans-- but there were the other countries also involved.

It seems the japanese soldiers were often treated terribly by their own commanders.

Amazon.com: Embracing Defeat: Japan in the Wake of World War II (9780393046861): John W. Dower: Books
(#32 (permalink))
Old
siokan (Offline)
JF Old Timer

08-23-2011, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogsbody70 View Post
In fact in this country-- apart from those who had been affected by the Pacific war here in UK-- there was hardly anymention about the Pacific war-- we used to celebrate VJ day but I for one did not know what it meant. Until we heard about the atrocities committed on POWS--French/ Australian/ \\dutch/ British and the americans etc.. I never even knew why our troops were involved at all. Many remember the atrocities committed--when I read Surviving the Sword it was appalling.
American mutilation of Japanese war dead - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Might is right.ヽ(´ー`)ノ

Please permit poor English. orz
Cryptanalysis is necessary for you.
set a goal:English at the same level as Johan Cruyff
(#33 (permalink))
Old
spicytuna (Offline)
JF Old Timer

08-23-2011, 03:11 PM

I think we can all agree that war brings out the worst in everyone.

But why post it in this thread? It's gone from looting to firebombing to the mutilation of Japanese soldiers in a mere 4 pages!
(#34 (permalink))
Old
JohnBraden (Offline)

08-23-2011, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spicytuna View Post
I think we can all agree that war brings out the worst in everyone.

But why post it in this thread? It's gone from looting to firebombing to the mutilation of Japanese soldiers in a mere 4 pages!
It's the old game of telephone brought to a new age....
(#35 (permalink))
Old
tokusatsufan (Offline)
JF Old Timer

08-23-2011, 05:49 PM

Because the original topic wasn't boring enough.
(#36 (permalink))
Old
Ryzorian (Offline)

08-24-2011, 04:00 AM

Siokan; the US and Japan went at each other full measure, it was ugly all around. Both sides did horrible things to each other. However, I think it also helped us see each other more clearly. We both saw what we were willing to do, what we were willing to endure, and what we were willing to sacrifice for our cause.

Dogsbody70; They wanted cities as yet unmared by the firebombing, it's why they chose the ones they did, though I think one was a secondary target in case the primary was clouded over. That way they could 1, see what type of damage the weapon itself did and 2, demonstrate to Japan's leaders that same message.
(#37 (permalink))
Old
nellie1208 (Offline)
JF Regular

08-28-2011, 06:23 AM

we all live it the same world, but as we are all located in different places, we have different perceptions and beliefs. We must all live in peace and integrity. lololol