JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#11 (permalink))
Old
WingsToDiscovery (Offline)
JF Noob

09-04-2011, 02:11 PM

Although it's not unique to Japanese only, I feel one needs to differentiate the difference between regarding respect for someone and speaking respect towards someone. I think there's a much finer line here than in English.

I'm not a cynic; I just like to play Devil's Advocate once in a while.
My photos from Japan and around the world:
http://www.flickr.com/dylanwphotography
(#12 (permalink))
Old
Ryzorian (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

09-04-2011, 05:48 PM

Nope, I'm indifferent intially reguardless of age. A person's actions will dictate to me how I would proceed. While older people have more experiance, and generally would be thought of to be wiser because of this experiance. That doesn't allways hold true if they never learn from thier experiance.

Also, some folks who are young physically may be much older and wiser mentally and or spiritually because of what they may have been forced to endure at an early age. The child soldiers of the Ivory Coast come to mind here.
(#13 (permalink))
Old
conanaras (Offline)
New to JF

09-07-2011, 06:15 PM

Speaking with respect and actually respecting the other are two different things altogether . I think it is difficult to respect someone you don't know, no matter how old he is, as you don't know how he lived his life. But I believe that one should speak with respect to an older person, out of respect for his age, and not the person himself. In general, an older man will be wiser than a younger one, and will have done much more things in his life.

Speaking with respect is not only Japan-specific. For example in my country (Greece, Europe), it is the norm to speak with respect to people older than you. Our language has different words for you (single person) and you (plural, as in: you two), so we generally use plural forms when talking to older people.

1 + 1 = 2... Unless it CRITS!
(#14 (permalink))
Old
kraft021 (Offline)
New to JF

09-07-2011, 08:29 PM

I always try to speak to others politely regardless of their age or social class.
However, I spend more respect to people who deserve to be respected.

When I was in Japan, I was speaking to elders with respect simply because of senpai and kohai relationship. After I moved to other countries I started to respect others for what they are and what they do.
(#15 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

09-07-2011, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppo View Post
I have been always told that you have to respect people older than you. But how about you anyone? (I am 29) (maybe this custom is only specific to Japan (and other asian nations)?) There are English words mature and immature. Mature ones are superior to immature ones? And here is an English proverb "The young man knows the rule, but the old man knows the exceptions."
It's about harmony and unity. If everyone shows those older with respect, then the older you get the more respect you gather.

Age has nothing to do with maturity.
(#16 (permalink))
Old
OHayou (Offline)
JF Old Timer

09-10-2011, 04:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppo View Post
I have been always told that you have to respect people older than you. But how about you anyone? (I am 29) (maybe this custom is only specific to Japan (and other asian nations)?) There are English words mature and immature. Mature ones are superior to immature ones? And here is an English proverb "The young man knows the rule, but the old man knows the exceptions."
Hey PPo! Interesting topic. I'm not sure what you're getting at with the mature words vs immature words unless you are meaning insulting or crude verbiage or using swear words.

Love the young man knows the rule, but the old man knows the exception quote. I also like "respect is given but trust is earned."

If everyone waited around for the other person to respect them first then nobody is going to respect anybody.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
It's about harmony and unity. If everyone shows those older with respect, then the older you get the more respect you gather.

Age has nothing to do with maturity.
Entirely agree that age does not immediately indicate maturity (or lack there of).
(#17 (permalink))
Old
ppo (Offline)
JF Regular

09-14-2011, 12:39 AM

Thank you all for your replies. Seems like I am the only one schooled in this way. (I am considering to change) Not completely sure but Japan seems to have some kind of Seniority System.

male 29 years old

Last edited by ppo : 09-14-2011 at 01:24 AM.
(#18 (permalink))
Old
phishy (Offline)
New to JF

Send a message via AIM to phishy
09-14-2011, 01:33 AM

I was always told to respect my elders...and im in the US. That should just be a universal thing.
(#19 (permalink))
Old
wolfrainvn (Offline)
Baka baka

Send a message via MSN to wolfrainvn Send a message via Yahoo to wolfrainvn
09-14-2011, 02:14 PM

You respect the old because the old know more, they had been through many of life events. You are expected to learn from the old. Although, i rather learn my life lessons from history because not all the old are wise and not all the wise are old.

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

FOR THOSE WHO BELEIVE THAT HEAVEN REALLY EXIST, THERE IS A WAY TO HEAVEN

My JF Family
Brother of ToKyObOxRoBoT, Nightmare
Cousin of Jo_Kittie
Great Grand Father of lollijenn
Uncle of Hentaro
(#20 (permalink))
Old
crime60 (Offline)
JF Regular

Send a message via MSN to crime60
09-14-2011, 03:00 PM

Don't know about you, but to me respecting the elder feels like natural habit, it comes automatically, and it reflects your manners... But not to forget that respect is earned, so initially one will be guided by his goodness to respect the elder till he gets the actual idea about that person and wether he deserves ones respect or not... Again, this is a personal point of view...
I will respect a White haired man, but if he goes on with something wierd like hiiii theeeere... I WILL SHOOT HIM, with no second thoughts....

"work for your world and living like you will forever live, and work for your hereafter like you'll die tomorrow"
Mohamed (P.B.U.H)