JapanForum.com

JapanForum.com (https://www.japanforum.com/forum/)
-   General Discussion (https://www.japanforum.com/forum/general-discussion/)
-   -   Are you wapanese? (https://www.japanforum.com/forum/general-discussion/5107-you-wapanese.html)

Suki 06-13-2007 06:51 PM

I was going to say something interesting but when I was about to write I saw that pic and got too shocked to think clearly.

YaksokuDa 06-13-2007 06:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Suki (Post 150728)
I was going to say something interesting but when I was about to write I saw that pic and got too shocked to think clearly.

That is not his real hand!! :eek:

Yorichan 06-13-2007 07:54 PM

first and foremost..
i guess you can call me a brapanese..not wapanese..
because i'm a jperson stuck inside a chinese-jamacian body,
living in canada!
wahhhhh...
or, for lack of a better word...extremist...
admittedly so, i love all things japanese,
i am considered a lolita by some of my peers(to the girl who says she hates them, nya..it doen't matter i'm going to be famous and you won't, and then you'll regret it..hahahahahahaha..)
so anywho, i believe i am a "brapanese".
doesn't matter anyway.

siso 06-13-2007 09:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yorichan (Post 150795)
first and foremost..
i guess you can call me a brapanese..not wapanese..
because i'm a jperson stuck inside a chinese-jamacian body,
living in canada!
wahhhhh...
or, for lack of a better word...extremist...
admittedly so, i love all things japanese,
i am considered a lolita by some of my peers(to the girl who says she hates them, nya..it doen't matter i'm going to be famous and you won't, and then you'll regret it..hahahahahahaha..)
so anywho, i believe i am a "brapanese".
doesn't matter anyway.

XDDD You want to be famous? We want pictures? :mtongue:

CrimsonNataku 06-13-2007 11:02 PM

Based on the definitions presented, no. But I have been called such, but not by people who actually know me in real life. People simply assume that because I've immersed myself in Japan's language, culture, and history to the extent that I teach these subjects it to teenagers, AND because I like anime and manga that I'm "wapanese." I'm very much aware that I'm not Japanese, nor am I white for that matter. And I'm very aware that every country has its problems; Japan is no different.

I know quite a few people who do believe that Japan is pretty much akin to paradise, and to be quite honest I feel embarrassed for them when they start gushing about the place. Especially when they start talking about its culture and history, because oftentimes the information that they're spouting is incorrect.

I know one girl who is so in love with Japan that she does want to live there and become Japanese. She's conveniently ignored the fact that she's almost six feet tall.

NanteNa 06-13-2007 11:39 PM

Wapa-what? O__Ô

YaksokuDa 06-14-2007 08:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrimsonNataku (Post 150934)

I know one girl who is so in love with Japan that she does want to live there and become Japanese. She's conveniently ignored the fact that she's almost six feet tall.

Haha, good for her, atleast she isn't worrying about it and making a big deal preventing her from going.

Slykaz1 06-05-2008 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Excessum (Post 148658)
Quite simple, do you consider yourself being a wapanese, or do you just have Japan related interests?

Permalink - Wapanese

A vulgar, but close to the truth explanation can be found here.

NO. My interest is because my sis is half Japanese. And I want to learn the culture and I want to learn to read the laguage.....by far I am still Japanese Iliterate. :o

JoshAussie 06-05-2008 04:51 PM

lol that wiki page is so funny

EveV 06-05-2008 07:32 PM

LOL.
Best thread ever.
I don't watch that much anime.
I don't read that much manga
And theres few Japanese bands that I like.
And Japan is not top of my list to live at or even go to.
So, No.

Daisuki13 06-05-2008 07:33 PM

I use to think I was Wapanese..
Until I found out that I was like..
5% Japanese..
Although, mostly all the things I like are Japanese, because I love Japan : D

RegPaq 06-05-2008 07:57 PM

I was born in OC cali. My mom was born in tokyo and my grandma is 100% making me 25%, but my rgandma and my mom both married white men and i got their traits so i dont look a quarter at all. I was raised in japanese culture at my grandmas house when i was very young until around 10 or 11. but when she passed I pretty much lost all my ties to the culture besides my aunt i hardly see. I didnt become interested until recently in it and I look white so I feel like I am little but techinically im not, i guess. But I dont go too far with it at all, like (no offense because i know a lot of people like it here) but i think cosplay is weird and I dont listen to j music, watch little anime, read only one manga, but I immerse myself in the langauge and culture. My major is international business with emohasis on japanese, so...

MissMisa 06-05-2008 08:52 PM

No.

I don't have much time for anime and manga to be honest.

I prefer art.

I like video games, but a lot of them aren't Japanese.

I like the language because it's a good international business language and would be useful if I actually decide to go into business depending on how my life pans out basically.

I don't try to look or speak Japanese [especially without knowing a damn thing.]

I don't try and pretend to be something I'm not bascially. Japan isn't the only country I am interested in, I am interested in a lot of other countries and their cultures too. And I know Japan isn't perfect, isn't full of anime, manga and video games, and isn't full of J-rockers.

So there we go :)

Oh and also, I prefer England. I love it here and I wouldn't want to move unless it would be a good career move.

Daisuki13 06-05-2008 09:04 PM

@ JapanMan2:
A lot of people on here are mature.
They like Cosplay and J-music and Anime and Manga etc.
But that doesn't mean they're immature.
A lot of them like the culture of Japan as well.
You need to understand that.

Miyavifan 06-05-2008 09:11 PM

I think that's very well said.

MissMisa 06-05-2008 09:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Excessum (Post 148666)

LOL, I love ED. I'm pretty sure I posted this somewhere else on here ages ago :D

clairebear 06-05-2008 09:15 PM

Anime is cool but I havent seen any anime's like um..naruto or bleach or whatever. I've seen two anime movies and thats about it lol. I dont read manga, the first thing that made me interested in Japan was Miyavi, and then I fell in love with Jrock <3

I think Japan is an amazing country and it'd be so cool to live there since its so different from where I live now. But I'm also interested in other countries so I wouldnt say I'm wapanese. I'm quite comfortable being who I am lol.

Daisuki13 06-05-2008 09:19 PM

Ne, let me change mine.
I enjoy Anime, Manga, Cosplay, J-music, etc.
But, I also love the Japanese culture.
I would love to go there and live there.
But that's not the only place I want to go [i.e. Russia, China, the U.K.]
It's not all Otaku to me.
And no, I'm not like what Encyclopediadramatica explains Wapanese as.
They only say bad things.
Loving Japan and it's ways and culture isn't a bad thing.
And a lot of people make it seem like it is.
Those people need to think about it carefully.

SSJup81 06-05-2008 10:38 PM

No, not "Wapanese" and ineligable to be since I'm not a "honkie" like that article said. Anyway, just interested in the culture for the most part.

Sutiiven 06-05-2008 11:01 PM

nope just am interested in things here and there :vsign:

SSJup81 06-06-2008 01:03 AM

I like some anime (not as much as I used to; the last "new" series I've seen was Deathnote, and that was when it was still originally airing in Japan), I'm really into manga (I'd buy manga before I would an anime series), and I like some J-music, but, I'm also into J-cuisine (well, Asian cuisine in general), Japanese culture, Japanese language (amongst others, but I'll stick with Japan for now), and the Japanese education system.

I guess you could say that I agree with what was said by JapanMan2.

QuoyaNatsume 06-06-2008 01:07 AM

wow I liked the lil' info link on wat "wapanese" is.
but no, fortunately I am not wapanese!! Exy where do you find ideas for your threads lol
anyway who coined the term "Wapanese", "Weeaboo"??
I jus like their crazy ideas & creations:vsign:

Ramones1976 06-06-2008 01:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Excessum (Post 148658)
Quite simple, do you consider yourself being a wapanese, or do you just have Japan related interests?

Permalink - Wapanese

No, I don't consider myself wapanese at all, nor have I been called it

According to wikipedia "wapanese used to refer to Caucasian individuals who try to assimilate too much of Japanese culture. Characteristics may include an obsession with anime or martial arts, or inappropriate or incorrect casual use of Japanese words"

They seem like mainly north american weirdos based in the information in the link.
I'm not north american, I like anime and want to learn martial arts but not obsessed with it in a bizarre way and take learning the Japanese language and understanding the culture very seriously, not just learn bits and pieces and claim to truly know.

Ramones1976 06-06-2008 03:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JapanMan2 (Post 507086)
good keep with your goals, Japanese is a difficult language to learn but if you try hard you can do it

Thank you very much =]
Yeah, Japanese is a little hard but it doesn't seem so difficult when you really practice and understand the basics, I'm never gonna give up...I'm also taking a Japanese language coarse in collage.

KikiBunny23 06-06-2008 03:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Excessum (Post 148666)

I had been reading the statistics on this and this is one that quite offended me seeing as whoever wrote it does not know the people in real life

" 80% of the writers on Unleash Your Imagination - FanFiction.Net are Wapanese. That's a lot of Wapanese."

Also these on Identifying [I have no lcue as to why I am still reaidng this far down but I am]

" If a Wapanese cannot master the Japanese language and hoard enough Gaia gold to go to Japan, the yearly ComicCon in San Diego is the next best place to parade oneself around as a dumbfuck."
" All Wapanese have at least one account on Gaia Online or DeviantART, and tend to discuss ethnicity, politics and religion as if they know what the fuck they're talking about."
" Wapanese have an undying obsession with anime. Very often, it's the only thing they'll watch."

Ok, I stopped reading...those just irked me because the person writing it has no clue what they are talkin bout

Ramones1976 06-06-2008 05:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JapanMan2 (Post 507102)
I took it this year and thought that it was hard, but I think that it had too many hours which made me rush through it to get to other homework. I don't think I am going to take it next year

Wow...really?
I think the written language seems harder to learn
Oh okay..
Well you still shouldn't give up on learning it. Good luck

Ramones1976 06-06-2008 05:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JapanMan2 (Post 507161)
I know I should not give up on it but I took it as a 5 hour credit and want to take the slower Japanese 3 hour credit class, but I would have to start all over again.

I think I might start learning chinese instead, what do you think of that? Do you like Chinese culture

Yeah..
Oh okay...thats a bit though :/

Oh wow, I think that would be great! I'm trying to learn Chinese too, its not too hard...
I think Japanese sort of has similar pronunciations and sounds to Spanish, which I've been learning since I was 9 but to be honest can't claim to be very good at :/
Yes, I very much admire and respect Chinese culture too.
I just really like Asian culture in general.

noodle 06-06-2008 05:43 AM

oh nooooo... these people bug me... :cool:

noodle 06-06-2008 05:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JapanMan2 (Post 507186)
Are you saying I bug you?:mad:

lol. i'm sure if we met and you started acting like that website described; then you probably would bug me and annoy me :eek: Nothing personal, lol, it's just.... why???

The same goes for those white people that try to be black etc etc

noodle 06-06-2008 06:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JapanMan2 (Post 507193)
Hey Dude, I said before on here if I was this "wapanes" I would commit suicide. I hate Wapanese people, may they rot.

So you have the wrong people, go accuse others of being wapanese somewhere else

:eek: Relax dude... I havn't read the whole thread and I have no idea what you are and I havn't even accused you of anything,... That's why I said IF you were what that website descrived, you'd probably bug me, and whats more, why the heck did you even reply to my post the way you did, if you wern't wapanese and/or it didnt' conern you. What do you expect me to take from it if I hadn't read ALL the posts????

So, CHILL!!!!

MissMisa 06-06-2008 09:57 AM

Can I just make this clear for you all.

THE ARTICLE ON WAPANESE FROM ENCYCLOPEDIA DRAMATICA IS A JOKE.

Have none of you ever seen it? It takes the piss out of anything going. You type anything in the little box and it will probably be there, in some twisted manner. It's not a serious or proper encyclopedia at all, so don't get all pissed off about the fake statistics on there. It's just a harsh way of talking about people who don't know fuck all about Japan but pretend they are Japanese and saying ' KAAAWAIIIIIIIIII' too much in random sentances.

Daisuki13 06-06-2008 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JapanMan2 (Post 506881)
You need to understand that it is people like you that give people like me who are into Japan a bad name. You are the reason I dont like to tell people I am learning Japanese.

If you are an older person in their 20's and went to Japan you would be thought of as immature for doing cosplay. You and some of those people have an immature mind set, you think that Japan is some paradise, where you will be accepted, TO BAD. YOU WONT!!!

Also your grasp for the english language is terrible.

Think carefully about what I just said to you and realize I am right

Okay..
First, I have good english.
And I'm not in my 20's.. I'm 13.
I don't think I'll be accepted.
I never said I did.
I am not immature.
I enjoy Japanese culture and food.
And I myself am learning Japanese, thank you very much.
I do think about what you say, but most of it is rude anyways, so what thought should I give to it?
No, you are not right.
People think differently.
No one thinks Japan is all anime.
There are no girls there that have magical powers and DD breasts.
Stop putting them down.
And stop putting me down.
You don't know me at all, or what I'm like.
I know and like more about Japan than you'd believe.
And I don't give you a bad name.
I probably like the same things about Japan as you do.

And stop talking about my grammar.
It's perfectly fine.

Cyclamen 06-06-2008 07:50 PM

I'm definitely not.
In fact, I met too much of them during japanese lessons... so many that I started to hate them

edit: the page on encyclopedia dramatica is, indeed, an exaggeration. It only makes fun of a stereotype, BUT, there's still some truth- if you read all that page, and by saying "read" I mean "to read between the lines", taking away all the stupid jokes and exaggerations, you'll get a good description of a stereotypical Wapanese. If you compare this description with some people (and their behaviour), you'll find out that the stereotye is not far from being a real description.

allie2590 06-06-2008 07:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lpdirufangirl09 (Post 148682)
All wikipedia type sites are edited by common folk such as ourselves. Teachers where i live are starting to downgrade reports and projects if a student uses wikipedia for this reason.

Wikipedia is banned at my school. We're only allowed to use it for basic information.

MMM 06-06-2008 08:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RegPaq (Post 506610)
I was born in OC cali. My mom was born in tokyo and my grandma is 100% making me 25%, but my rgandma and my mom both married white men and i got their traits so i dont look a quarter at all. I was raised in japanese culture at my grandmas house when i was very young until around 10 or 11. but when she passed I pretty much lost all my ties to the culture besides my aunt i hardly see. I didnt become interested until recently in it and I look white so I feel like I am little but techinically im not, i guess. But I dont go too far with it at all, like (no offense because i know a lot of people like it here) but i think cosplay is weird and I dont listen to j music, watch little anime, read only one manga, but I immerse myself in the langauge and culture. My major is international business with emohasis on japanese, so...

If you are 3/4 white and 1/4 Japanese, how can you be African American on the Obama/McCain thread?

Quote:

Originally Posted by RegPaq (Post 507293)
hahaha first you started the insults at me, second you havent posted any evidence besides saying you believe what politicians say, three i havent said anthing nearly racist. how can i? im african american hahahaha. pattern my ass. again get your head out of your ass

allie2590 06-06-2008 08:08 PM

I think we have a disguise artist in our midsts.

Daisuki13 06-06-2008 08:21 PM

Hmmm..
I suppose that I don't really want to be Japanese.
Just live there.
Reading all the other posts helped me figure that out : D

UtakataChan 06-06-2008 08:37 PM

@JapanMan2. I think you are way too quick to judge people. I really don't like the elitist tone you're taking. Are you saying that simply because someone likes anime that they are automatically Wapanese? That's a little ridiculous. Seriously.

What's more.. How serious do you expect to be taken with what you say when your user name is JAPANMan2. Unless you're Japanese yourself, that is what sticks out to me the most as being Wapanese. The way you're so defensive, and the diehard immature claim to have a "blood feud" with anyone Wapanese, makes it seem like you have something you're trying to cover up.

MMM 06-07-2008 03:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by allie2590 (Post 507682)
I think we have a disguise artist in our midsts.

I think so, too.

DesiredMess 06-10-2008 05:21 AM

I would have to say if I could have chose to be Asian, I would have. Their culture is so amazing.

But I'll just settle for visiting or possibly living. :)