JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Ohad (Offline)
JF Regular

What is Japan's additiue to its modern history? - 03-30-2009, 01:42 PM

I hope I do not touch a soft point by mentioning the issues, subjects and historical events further in this post, and offending any Japanese fellow on the board. I am sorry if I am offending anyone in advance.

How does the Japanese education system protray the Empire of Japan? I am especially interested in the way the Japanese expansions, wars and atrocities are presented. For a more specific instance, how does it present the Japanese occupation of the shores of China and the establishing of puppet states? How does it present - if it does - the Nanking Massacare?

How are Emparor Hirohito, Dougles McArthor (and the American occupation of Japan), Hideki Tōjō, the A-Bombing of Hiroshima and Nagasaki presented?

Again, I am very sorry if this post will hurt anyone, and it is very understandable if it will.

Of course, I made a horrible spelling error at the thread's title. Please fix it. Thanks.
(#2 (permalink))
Old
Jaydelart (Offline)
ジェイデラート

03-30-2009, 02:19 PM

Good question. I'm interested in this also.

I've observed some Japanese's attitudes towards the A-bombings -- and America in general. Of course, there are some understandabale opinions out there; however, there are also some that intrigued me: some didn't seem to care as much as I expected, showing little concern. I don't know whether it's because they don't understand the importance of the topics or at the point where they've accepted and moved on?
Similarly, there have been some instances where it seemed I knew more about Japanese history than a Japanese did, which I found suprising.

In retrospect, however, I guess since I don't know a lot about Australian or American history (I was raised in both AUS and USA - born in AUS), this may be similar in Japan?
(#3 (permalink))
Old
LuckyLuck (Offline)
Transform Tomorrow

Send a message via MSN to LuckyLuck
03-30-2009, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaydelart View Post
Good question. I'm interested in this also.

I've observed some Japanese's attitudes towards the A-bombings -- and America in general. Of course, there are some understandabale opinions out there; however, there are also some that intrigued me: some didn't seem to care as much as I expected, showing little concern. I don't know whether it's because they don't understand the importance of the topics or at the point where they've accepted and moved on?
Similarly, there have been some instances where it seemed I knew more about Japanese history than a Japanese did, which I found suprising.

In retrospect, however, I guess since I don't know a lot about Australian or American history (I was raised in both AUS and USA - born in AUS), this may be similar in Japan?
They probably understand what happened, I mean how could you not. However, to them, because it feels like those events had no effect on their lives today, they probably just grew a tolerance or simply a lack of care.

The path to equality is a long road to travel.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
Ronin4hire (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

03-30-2009, 06:58 PM

I think generally they are ashamed of it.

But my impression is that in general they don't buy the Americans/Allies = good guys versus Japanese/German = bad guys narrative that comes out of America.

The reasons for the rise of nationalism following WW1 prior to WW2 in both Japan and Germany is a lesson as important for the world to learn as the results of such nationalism.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
Ohad (Offline)
JF Regular

03-30-2009, 07:07 PM

I would most appriciate some comments from the Japanese members

Quote:
But my impression is that in general they don't buy the Americans/Allies = good guys versus Japanese/German = bad guys narrative that comes out of America.
Well, from what I know they are pretty much apologist to when they discuss the American occupation of Japan.

And by the way, what do the Japanese people in general think of the fact their military was shrank and about the fact there is an American military presence in Japan, especially after the cases of rapes by American soldiers of teenage Japanese girls?
(#6 (permalink))
Old
burkhartdesu (Offline)
JF Old Timer

03-30-2009, 07:08 PM

When I went to Hiroshima I had a few 'deep' conversation with some people at the museum -- but it was all really neutral... The only point they kept making was how terrible atomic-warfare is, not really bashing any particular side.

But the museum was overwhelming bias; it had those dramatic sculptures with the melting flesh, and those ridiculously enlarged photos of burns and open wounds. The atrocities committed by America were made pretty obvious, but not quite the other way around.

I'm curious to see what the teachers on the board think - maybe they've had some experience/witnessed a Japanese history lesson?
(#7 (permalink))
Old
burkhartdesu (Offline)
JF Old Timer

03-30-2009, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohad View Post
especially after the cases of rapes by American soldiers of teenage Japanese girls?

I stayed with a host family in 2007, and the rape was big news at this point.

The family was really open about it, but made it clear that it wasn't necessary for them to have a base in Okinawa; especially because they've been raising hell for a long time.
(#8 (permalink))
Old
Ohad (Offline)
JF Regular

03-30-2009, 07:17 PM

The only reason there is an American military presence in Japan is to deter North Korea and China from doing anything aggressive against Japan.
(#9 (permalink))
Old
komitsuki (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

03-30-2009, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohad View Post
The only reason there is an American military presence in Japan is to deter North Korea and China from doing anything aggressive against Japan.
Hmm... people still believe half of this? China is no threat against Japan and South Korea.

It's just North Korea that is the problem.
(#10 (permalink))
Old
cridgit001 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Send a message via AIM to cridgit001
03-30-2009, 10:06 PM

I think a well placed carrier would do just as well as any army base. It's not like China or whoever is going to sneak into Japan and blow the crap out of it like the Japanese did to Pearl Habor(I don't mean to make light of that). It seems more paranoia than anything that is keeping the base there.