JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Niyusu (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Number of Japanese studying in US falling fast - 02-26-2009, 01:36 AM

From the Japan Times:

After peaking at 47,000 in 1997, the number of Japanese studying in the U.S. has dropped nearly 30 percent to 34,000 as of 2007...

The president of the Sakae Institute of Study Abroad said the drop in Japanese stems from the growing introspectiveness among young people, who are becoming more content with staying in Japan and losing interest in the U.S.

"Young people returning from school trips abroad talk about how much cleaner and safer Japan is compared to other countries, and how much better its cuisine is," she said before the meeting.

Full article: Fall in U.S. Japanese students worrisome | Japan Times
(#2 (permalink))
Old
alanX (Offline)
The Psychedelic Traveler

Send a message via Skype™ to alanX
02-26-2009, 03:16 AM

Nice find.

And to be honest...can't blame em'. I think America has thrown it's towel, if you catch my drift.

猿も木から落ちる
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Ningyou (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Send a message via AIM to Ningyou
02-26-2009, 06:12 PM

This is sort of sad :/ but like alanX said, I don't really blame them. But there are places in the US that are safe (or safer anyway) and that they'd probably enjoy. But I'm sure Japan is a lot better.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
Sinestra (Offline)
ショ ン

Send a message via AIM to Sinestra Send a message via Yahoo to Sinestra
02-26-2009, 07:54 PM

Not surprise really really the education system here needs to be revamped. But this happens all the time as other countries improve their condition international students have a broader rang of countries to chose from. People rarely like to get out their neck of the woods. Japan is safer than the US but there are places in the US that are safe. I live in area where there is hardly any crime. But i can wholeheartedly see why a lot of Japanese feel this way. Give 5 or 10 years and things will be different it could be the UK that more students go too or Asia. Arab students dropped to all time low over the last couple of years for obvious reasons but now its back up again.

To be fair i can name several countries iv been too where i felt more unsafe than being in the US. Any westerner or Asian want to go hang out in South Africa for a while? make sure your family has enough money to pay the ransom.

I thought the other article Shiftless apathy to the victims makes all Japanese guilty for the past was a nice read too although i disagree with some the contents i agree with a little bit of it too.

Last edited by Sinestra : 02-26-2009 at 08:02 PM.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

02-26-2009, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanX View Post
Nice find.

And to be honest...can't blame em'. I think America has thrown it's towel, if you catch my drift.
Actually, I have no idea what you mean.

Funny how the article doesn't mention the recession Japan and the US are going through as a possible culprit for not participating in expensive exchange programs.