JapanForum.com

JapanForum.com (https://www.japanforum.com/forum/)
-   Japan News & Events (https://www.japanforum.com/forum/japan-news-events/)
-   -   Japanese anime industry being killed by free downloads (https://www.japanforum.com/forum/japan-news-events/23538-japanese-anime-industry-being-killed-free-downloads.html)

Nyororin 06-28-2009 01:19 AM

Burkhartdesu, I think you`ve honestly missed the whole point.

It`s not whether people download illegal things so much as people who ONLY download these things, and who do so continually without making any real effort to purchase most of it.
Like the downloading anime fan who will pick up full series after full series after full series without really thinking about buying it... All the while making up excuses about "Well, it isn`t released yet" or "Well, I can`t afford it anyway" etc

I personally could care less (and I`m going to make a guess that MMM likely feels the same way) if someone illegally downloads a few eps and judges a series for purchase. Or even downloads the whole thing and then buys all the DVDs as they come out. But we all know that isn`t what happens 99.999% of the time. And that is where there is a problem. People think that they should be entitled to anything they want if it can be gotten without too much effort.

burkhartdesu 06-28-2009 01:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nyororin (Post 739294)
Burkhartdesu, I think you`ve honestly missed the whole point.

It`s not whether people download illegal things so much as people who ONLY download these things, and who do so continually without making any real effort to purchase most of it.
Like the downloading anime fan who will pick up full series after full series after full series without really thinking about buying it... All the while making up excuses about "Well, it isn`t released yet" or "Well, I can`t afford it anyway" etc

I personally could care less (and I`m going to make a guess that MMM likely feels the same way) if someone illegally downloads a few eps and judges a series for purchase. Or even downloads the whole thing and then buys all the DVDs as they come out. But we all know that isn`t what happens 99.999% of the time. And that is where there is a problem. People think that they should be entitled to anything they want if it can be gotten without too much effort.

Well, that puts everything into perspective.

Apologies, maybe I should have read everything thoroughly.

MMM, sorry for trying to incriminate you. :vsign:

MMM 06-28-2009 01:53 AM

Thank you Nyororin for reeling it back in. And there is no need to apologize, Burkhart.

iPhantom 06-28-2009 01:57 AM

Is it really illegal to download fansubbed anime if you're outside Japan?

Different jurisdiction... yes you infringe Japanese copyrights but I don't see how your country's court can charge you if the anime is not licensed by them.

MMM 06-28-2009 02:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iPhantom (Post 739303)
Is it really illegal to download fansubbed anime if you're outside Japan?

Different jurisdiction... yes you infringe Japanese copyrights but I don't see how your country's court can charge you if the anime is not licensed by them.

Yes, as a matter of fact it is:

Berne Convention for the Protection of Literary and Artistic Works - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

burkhartdesu 06-28-2009 02:55 AM

The only instance where I think bittorent is acceptable is when they don't have Western releases.

Obviously the companies had a set demographic: the Japanese... And they reached their designated populace with their advertisements, commercials, edorsements, etc.

So their not technically losing money if they aren't offering it to us in the first place

MMM 06-28-2009 03:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by burkhartdesu (Post 739313)
The only instance where I think bittorent is acceptable is when they don't have Western releases.

Obviously the companies had a set demographic: the Japanese... And they reached their designated populace with their advertisements, commercials, edorsements, etc.

So their not technically losing money if they aren't offering it to us in the first place

I do understand the logic behind this, and although it is technically illegal, I can understand the sentiment, especially with series that aren't likely to get a release outside of Japan. That being said, I don't think Naruto Shippuden or similar series fall into that category because there no doubt in the world they will get a western release.

SSJup81 06-28-2009 03:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by burkhartdesu (Post 739313)

I'd been saying that from pretty much the beginning. Series I watched, I had no idea that they'd ever get a western release, hence I watched them through downloads. Even the series I grew bored of, didn't even have a western release yet, or any intention for one at the time. I've noticed that most people who watch different series watch unlicensed stuff.

bhl88 06-29-2009 06:07 PM

And of course, people like the subs better.