LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Polar (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Subway may go 24 hours - 02-20-2010, 06:03 PM

Interesting

Quote:
There is serious talk in the Tokyo Metropolitan Government of running the city managed subway systems Toei Chikatetsu(都営地下鉄) 24 hours a day when Haneda Airport opens to more international flights later this year. You might think of Tokyo as the city that never sleeps but in fact all public transportation stops around 1 am. This forces any one living far from the city to head home before midnight or be stranded until five or six am. However, with flights arriving into Haneda at all hours of the night–a lack of any other transportation other than expensive taxis is sure to go over poorly with much sought after tourists.
Quote:
At the same time, merchants in Kabukicho, the former red-light district of Tokyo, located in Shinjuku are pushing to allow the area to be designated a special region where all businesses can stay open 24 hours a day. Currently, host and hostess clubs are forced to shutter their windows at one am. They are circumventing the laws by transforming the places into “girl’s bars” or “boy’s clubs” after hours, with stand up counters where customers can order drinks,–which makes them “bars” instead of cabarets, technically. Tokyo has a fair amount of latitude in how they run their own subway system, and while the 都営地下鉄 (toeichikatesu) routes are limited, if they run 24 hours a night there is a good chance they will become the last resort of the night owls and newly arrived passengers at Haneda. Longer hours should translate into more employment for the locals–and the cops as well.
(#2 (permalink))
Old
JayT (Offline)
JF Old Timer

02-20-2010, 07:37 PM

Only one line? Thats no help

[<--Nan's heart!]

(#3 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

02-20-2010, 08:36 PM

I was always under the impression that the turning off of the subways at a certain hour (if I remember correctly, it used to be earlier) was by design. There are entire industries that can exist because people don't have a cheap way home.

This would kill taxis at night (except for short hops) and the late night "entertainment' industries would take a hit if people didn't have to fill those hours and could just go home.

But I agree, one line won't make a difference really to the economy. Passengers on the planes can get a ride to their Tokyo hotels, and that's about it, right? Are there residential areas on the Toei line?
(#4 (permalink))
Old
Tsuwabuki (Offline)
石路 美蔓

02-20-2010, 11:53 PM

Toei controls four lines, not just one:

Asakusa, Mita, Shinjuku, and Oedo, and that covers a lot of ground:

http://www.kotsu.metro.tokyo.jp/engl...way_system.pdf

<- AnimeMusicVideos.Org
(#5 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

02-21-2010, 12:12 AM

Tokyo Subway and Railway Information: Haneda Airport Access

Now I am a little confused, because according to the above link, Toei doesn't go to Haneda...only the Tokyo Monorail and the Keikyu do.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
Tsuwabuki (Offline)
石路 美蔓

02-21-2010, 02:23 AM

Toei runs the monorail, as far as I know.

<- AnimeMusicVideos.Org
(#7 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

02-21-2010, 03:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsuwabuki View Post
I see, this is a Tokyo Metro Gov't rail system.
(#8 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
02-21-2010, 04:05 AM

If this goes through, I honestly pity everyone working around there...
One of the great things about the time cutoff is that people have to head home by a certain time or not be able to get home. There is a lot more "end the day so you can make the last train" than not being able to get home after staying later...

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.
(#9 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

02-21-2010, 04:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyororin View Post
If this goes through, I honestly pity everyone working around there...
One of the great things about the time cutoff is that people have to head home by a certain time or not be able to get home. There is a lot more "end the day so you can make the last train" than not being able to get home after staying later...
You bring up a good point. Using the last train as an excuse to go home and get 6 hours of sleep before worth the next morning is the ONLY outlet some salarymen have to leave the bar or izakaya they have been dragged to.
(#10 (permalink))
Old
tokyosubway (Offline)
New to JF

03-05-2010, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsuwabuki View Post
Incorrect, Toei does not operate the Tokyo Monorail to Haneda Airport. It is a private company, with 70% ownership by JR-EAST.

Considering how much debt Toei and the Metropolitan government is in, I highly doubt it would come to a reality. It is the same reason why Tokyo Metro does not merge (though there has been talk) with Toei subway, to much debt and baggage that comes with any merger.

Keeping the system closed at night has many benefits, lower maintenance costs, time to clean stations, not paying staff 24 hours etc. other problems come with stations that are administered not by Toei but other railway companies, for example Toei Shinjuku Station isn't operated by Toei, but manned and staffed by Keio Railways.

As for Haneda Airport as mentioned, Toei doesn't go to Haneda Airport directly.
Some Toei trains on the Asakusa line connect through Keikyu Railways, Keikyu Railways goes to Haneda Airport however doesn't do much good if Keikyu Railways is closed in the evening. Tokyo Monorail has no points for connections to Toei Lines.

Wherever the article is quoted from, did not do much research into the matter.

Last edited by tokyosubway : 03-05-2010 at 11:59 AM.