JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
cocoluvnihon (Offline)
The"Kewl Otaku" one

Send a message via AIM to cocoluvnihon Send a message via MSN to cocoluvnihon Send a message via Yahoo to cocoluvnihon
Unhappy Japan "Baby Box" abused *unwanted kids dropped in a box - 05-18-2007, 03:03 AM

This is a very very cruel story Japan 'baby drop box' abused - Asia-Pacific - MSNBC.com
(#2 (permalink))
Old
luna2 (Offline)
HALO3 GAMER GIRL 4LIFE!

05-18-2007, 03:09 AM

well its better than to jus leave the child anywhere
but yes this is very sad T_T
but wuld u rather do this or hav an abortion?

YOUR RIGHT NOTHING DOES LAST FOREVER, WE OBVIOUSLY PROVE THAT RIGHT

http://www.japanforum.com/forum/memb...-drawings.html
(#3 (permalink))
Old
samokan (Offline)
0xFFFF_FFFF

05-18-2007, 04:08 AM

yeah I would agree with luna. It's better than having an abortion or throwing their kids away.

But the article feature in this one, where the dad intentionally left his 3 year old son. He told his son to enter the box cause they are playing hide and seek and then left for no apparent reason.

oh well, there are reallly lots of stupid parents ...

*** Omnia Muntantor, Nihil Interit ***

My Japan Life

-------------------------------------
(#4 (permalink))
Old
oldsoulyoungspirit (Offline)
A love unconquerable

Send a message via MSN to oldsoulyoungspirit
05-18-2007, 04:24 AM

I dont understand, why does Japan have this high child abandonment rate, is abortion illegal?
This is a very strange situation to me, and even more a saddenening one, at my age (16) it is not common to become pregnant but does happen, here in Australia we have one of the highest teenage pregnacy rates but we dont have cases like that, we also have a high abortion rate, and although i used to believe abortion was wrong my views have changed, i think adoption to be the best answer when a child is unwanted but when even that is too much for the mother/parents abortion can unfortuantly be a better answer.
Traumatised children, the abandonment of children, or the abuse of children due to being unwanted in unexceptable.
It makes me so angry.

I have lived a life longer then you or I know,
many time i have tread this path and made my choices,
yet my soul inhabits the young body of a girl...
And here i lie, awaiting my time to truely blossom
Oldsoulyoungspirit
(#5 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
05-18-2007, 05:52 AM

Japan *doesn`t* have a high rate of abandonment. The point isn`t that it is so common they need to do something about it - the thinking is that even ONE child being neglected, abused, or abandoned is too many. I agree with that. It doesn`t need to be a big problem to start trying to get rid of.

Abortion is legal. I wouldn`t say it`s encouraged, but it is legal.
HOWEVER, giving up a child for adoption pretty much isn`t. If you don`t want to kill the baby before birth, you`re stuck with it. Not everyone wants to get an abortion. When a child is older, you can go to a children`s home and ask them to care for your child for you, but you`re still partially responsible because you`re not giving the child up. After so many years of a child being in the home, I believe you can give up parental rights, but it takes a lot of time and paperwork, and sometimes you aren`t allowed.
Even before that stage, it isn`t as if it`s easy to put a child into one of the homes in the first place - you have to go and have multiple interviews, and then they go around to family and ask about the situation, etc. The last thing most people want everyone around to know is that they can`t take care of their own child.

What ends up happening is that the unwanted children stay in neglectful or abusive homes, largely because the parents are too humiliated to admit there is a problem.

THAT is where this box comes in. Anonymous and fast, they can give the child away before it ever gets to that stage. Before things ever escalate to neglect of abuse.

Recently the body of a one year old boy was found at the side of the road. The mother had tried multiple times to get the children`s home to accept him but they were still in the interview-consideration phase... Apparently she couldn`t find anyone to watch him, and couldn`t carry him while riding on a motorcycle with the father, so they put him into the space under the seat. He suffocated.

If she`d been able to give him up, quickly and anonymously, when she had felt things were out of control... Or even in the beginning when she knew she wouldn`t be able to take care of him... He wouldn`t have died.

Either way, there is a lot of speculation going on that the 3 year old story is a fabrication. The hospital isn`t going to be telling anyone about it, but yet magically, that morning it seems that a certain newspaper (who was a strong opposer to the idea) came up with this story. It is TOO perfect in that it covers all the possible misuses in one neat package. An older child? Check. From out of town? Check. Tricked into getting in? Check. Given up by the father not the mother? Check.

Because they have sworn privacy related to all issues in regard to the box, the hospital HAS to continue to say no comment about it. Even confirming that it didn`t happen would be considered straying from the privacy policy... How does the newspaper know all this? A lot of Japanese people are really suspicious.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
forgotenmemory (Offline)
Where's the rock lobster?

07-04-2007, 03:25 AM

I find the story sad theres sadder stories I heard a story where there were two brothers and the older one took the younger one to meet the friends when the older one left the friends raped the boy so when the boy was in the hospital he threw himself off the hospital window...killing himself.
(#7 (permalink))
Old
Harakiri (Offline)
New to JF

07-04-2007, 03:36 AM

Isnt this an old news??? It happens in many countries and In Japan it started around the 70's because of the Depression, and When the Cost for living is rising. As in many countries it happens too. But it's about individual too, Whether they will take the responsibility from what they have done or Being a Fag and a Queer ...

World and Life is like a rotating wheel. You won't always be at the top. At some point you will be at the bottom. But There are ways to keep yourself at the top for longer time, Like Run as fast as you can to the opposite direction of the rotating wheel.
(#8 (permalink))
Old
krissyy (Offline)
New to JF

Send a message via MSN to krissyy
07-04-2007, 05:18 AM

that is a sad story but...wats the point of having kids if your not going to look after them and care for them..because every1 knows children need alot of attention and if your not going to give the child what they need theres no point in having one..

`Humankind cannot gain anything without first giving something in return.
To obtain, something of equal value must be lost.*
(#9 (permalink))
Old
dogsbody70 (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

12-22-2010, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyororin View Post
Japan *doesn`t* have a high rate of abandonment. The point isn`t that it is so common they need to do something about it - the thinking is that even ONE child being neglected, abused, or abandoned is too many. I agree with that. It doesn`t need to be a big problem to start trying to get rid of.

Abortion is legal. I wouldn`t say it`s encouraged, but it is legal.
HOWEVER, giving up a child for adoption pretty much isn`t. If you don`t want to kill the baby before birth, you`re stuck with it. Not everyone wants to get an abortion. When a child is older, you can go to a children`s home and ask them to care for your child for you, but you`re still partially responsible because you`re not giving the child up. After so many years of a child being in the home, I believe you can give up parental rights, but it takes a lot of time and paperwork, and sometimes you aren`t allowed.
Even before that stage, it isn`t as if it`s easy to put a child into one of the homes in the first place - you have to go and have multiple interviews, and then they go around to family and ask about the situation, etc. The last thing most people want everyone around to know is that they can`t take care of their own child.

What ends up happening is that the unwanted children stay in neglectful or abusive homes, largely because the parents are too humiliated to admit there is a problem.

THAT is where this box comes in. Anonymous and fast, they can give the child away before it ever gets to that stage. Before things ever escalate to neglect of abuse.

Recently the body of a one year old boy was found at the side of the road. The mother had tried multiple times to get the children`s home to accept him but they were still in the interview-consideration phase... Apparently she couldn`t find anyone to watch him, and couldn`t carry him while riding on a motorcycle with the father, so they put him into the space under the seat. He suffocated.

If she`d been able to give him up, quickly and anonymously, when she had felt things were out of control... Or even in the beginning when she knew she wouldn`t be able to take care of him... He wouldn`t have died.

Either way, there is a lot of speculation going on that the 3 year old story is a fabrication. The hospital isn`t going to be telling anyone about it, but yet magically, that morning it seems that a certain newspaper (who was a strong opposer to the idea) came up with this story. It is TOO perfect in that it covers all the possible misuses in one neat package. An older child? Check. From out of town? Check. Tricked into getting in? Check. Given up by the father not the mother? Check.

Because they have sworn privacy related to all issues in regard to the box, the hospital HAS to continue to say no comment about it. Even confirming that it didn`t happen would be considered straying from the privacy policy... How does the newspaper know all this? A lot of Japanese people are really suspicious.

thankyou again for that information Nyrororin

sorry perhaps I should not have replied on here as there is already the later thread re baby hatches

Last edited by dogsbody70 : 12-22-2010 at 11:25 AM.
(#10 (permalink))
Old
GoNative (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

12-22-2010, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by samokan View Post
It's better than having an abortion ...
What's wrong with having an abortion?

Ah just saw how old this thread was....ignore this!