JapanForum.com

JapanForum.com (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/)
-   Japan Travel Advice (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/japan-travel-advice/)
-   -   Travelling from Wakayama to Osaka (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/japan-travel-advice/14059-travelling-wakayama-osaka.html)

kanedova 04-03-2008 08:59 PM

Travelling from Wakayama to Osaka

Hi,
Would anyone know how much the Train costs to travel to Osaka from Wakayama? Is it crowded? How long will it take to travel?

I will go to Wakayama in the Summer, living at my Grandmas place but the school will be in Osaka.

Thanks

samurai007 04-04-2008 01:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kanedova (Post 447664)
Hi,
Would anyone know how much the Train costs to travel to Osaka from Wakayama? Is it crowded? How long will it take to travel?

I will go to Wakayama in the Summer, living at my Grandmas place but the school will be in Osaka.

Thanks

I lived in Wakayama-ken 10 years ago, so I can tell you roughly what it'd be, but which city in Wakayama-ken will you be living in? Do you mean Wakayama City?

It takes about 1 hour to get from Osaka to Wakayama City by train, and costs about 900 yen 1 way.

If you'll be living further down the coast, or up the Kinokawa river valley, it could take longer, though there is also a train line from Namba station in Osaka to Hashimoto City in north-eastern Wakayama-ken (where I lived) that took 55 minutes and was 880 yen 1 way (but that was 10 years ago, may cost a little more today).

The trains tend to be pretty crowded while they are close to Osaka (people standing in the aisles, but not jam packed like sardines in a can, like in parts of Tokyo). As the train heads further away from Osaka, it becomes less and less crowded. By 30 minutes out from Osaka, enough people will have cleared out that the remaining people should be sitting down.

kanedova 04-04-2008 04:13 PM

hi samurai007,

thanks for the great reply. I will be living in Naganoshima, if that tells you anything. I don't know however where exactly that lies.

Would you by chance know the route and cost from Naganoshima?

Thanks

samurai007 04-04-2008 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kanedova (Post 448524)
hi samurai007,

thanks for the great reply. I will be living in Naganoshima, if that tells you anything. I don't know however where exactly that lies.

Would you by chance know the route and cost from Naganoshima?

Thanks

I believe Nakanoshima is the name for a section/suburb of Wakayama City. (I don't know of a Naganoshima). If that's correct, then the info I gave before is valid... about 1 hour, about 900 yen, give or take a bit.

Michigan90 04-08-2008 01:52 PM

Nakanoshima is on the south bank of the Kinokawa. I googled Naganoshima in hiragana, but I found nothing... Nakanoshima usually means an island in the middle of two or more rivers, and perhaps it was in the past. Osaka has a business district named Nakanoshima too.

The JR Hanwa Line (阪和線) has Kii-Nakanoshima (紀伊中ノ島) Station to the north of JR Wakayama (和歌山) Station. Note that Kii Province (紀伊国) is the old name of Wakayama Prefecture.

It's not far from JR Wakayama, Nankai Wakayama-shi, and the castle.

Google map

Wakayama City - Wikipedia

City Government