JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#11 (permalink))
Old
timelesssymphony (Offline)
なんでやねん?

Send a message via AIM to timelesssymphony
05-19-2008, 11:05 AM

the hell did they delete my post for and not the guy calling MMM a fag? oh well screw the mods then I didn't type all that for no reason
(#12 (permalink))
Old
chachava (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Send a message via MSN to chachava
05-19-2008, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyororin View Post

I have noticed that it is indeed true that body odor is, in general, not all that strong here. .

You clearly haven't been on the Yamanote loop in August... some of the salary men smell like they wash in pigshit during that month
(#13 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
05-19-2008, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chachava View Post
You clearly haven't been on the Yamanote loop in August... some of the salary men smell like they wash in pigshit during that month
I take it you haven`t been in a tour bus full of foreigners in August either then. Or on the packed NY subway *gasp and choke*.
I don`t know what it is, but it`s a completely different and much more unpleasant nose burning odor.

There are always people who stink, and being in a cramped space just amplifies it. Once foul odored person can make the whole train smell horrible.

But seriously, those tour buses gave me nightmares. I did interpretation for a bunch of them around the expo... They`d be saying "Japanese people smell like sushi! Harharhar!" while they often smelled like they`d been slathering themselves in vomit or something, then sprayed a squirt of perfume to cover it.

I have a number of horror stories from that experience, and, well, urgh. Being in another country doesn`t relieve you of the responsibility of keeping your body clean.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.
(#14 (permalink))
Old
chachava (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Send a message via MSN to chachava
05-20-2008, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyororin View Post
I take it you haven`t been in a tour bus full of foreigners in August either then. Or on the packed NY subway *gasp and choke*.
I don`t know what it is, but it`s a completely different and much more unpleasant nose burning odor.

There are always people who stink, and being in a cramped space just amplifies it. Once foul odored person can make the whole train smell horrible.

But seriously, those tour buses gave me nightmares. I did interpretation for a bunch of them around the expo... They`d be saying "Japanese people smell like sushi! Harharhar!" while they often smelled like they`d been slathering themselves in vomit or something, then sprayed a squirt of perfume to cover it.

I have a number of horror stories from that experience, and, well, urgh. Being in another country doesn`t relieve you of the responsibility of keeping your body clean.
lol, I try to stay clear of tourists to be honest...sounds like it might be the best after reading that

I'm not sure if it's the humidity, but people smell waaaaaay worse than back in UK during the summer months
(#15 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
05-20-2008, 04:57 PM

Quote:
lol, I try to stay clear of tourists to be honest...sounds like it might be the best after reading that

I'm not sure if it's the humidity, but people smell waaaaaay worse than back in UK during the summer months
I`d say it`s probably more the number of people. You`re way more likely to run into someone who has a serious body odor issue when there are more people around.

ETA; Given a little more thought, it`s also probably a sort of pile up effect.
In general, body odor here does seem to be much less pungent - on an individual basis. Therefore, people are less likely to attempt to cover a mild natural scent... Which is fine, as you probably wouldn`t notice any odor unless you shoved your face in their armpit. However, when you`re on the train or in a very crowded location, each little bit sort of adds to an overall smell. When you have enough mild scents, well, it turns into an unpleasant stench.

But... I`ll be honest - I prefer unpleasant natural smells over someone slathered in perfume. That REALLY makes my eyes water, and after a few minutes even gives me a headache.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.

Last edited by Nyororin : 05-20-2008 at 05:04 PM.
(#16 (permalink))
Old
samokan (Offline)
0xFFFF_FFFF

05-22-2008, 08:22 AM

antiperspirant/deodorant is abundant especially during summer. you can easily find them in drugstore. Ban,Rexena,8x4 are just few of the brand available. Unfortunately most of this products are targeted to women ( generally ), there are deodorant for men too but not as easy to find ( I think ).

*** Omnia Muntantor, Nihil Interit ***

My Japan Life

-------------------------------------

Last edited by samokan : 05-22-2008 at 10:12 AM.
(#17 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

05-22-2008, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by samokan View Post
antiperspirant/deodorant is abundant especially during summer. you can easily find them in drugstore. Ban,Rexena,8x4 are just of the brand available. Unfortunately most of this products are targeted to women ( generally ), there are deodorant for men too but not as easy to find ( I think ).
Those always felt like perfume to me. You can go to The Body Shop or another international chain if need be.
(#18 (permalink))
Old
scottintexas (Offline)
New to JF

Don't forget deodorant! - 05-27-2008, 02:56 PM

If you are a guy and use deodorant (stick type), make sure you bring a few months worth because it is not sold in Japan - only the spray type.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cainchan View Post
Hi,

In less than a month I will be moving to Japan to work for a Japanese company. They are bringing me over and giving me a place but the budget will be tight for the first 3 months.

I am a little overwhelmed with it all and wanted to know if anyone in a similar position (of any nature) could give me their view on the most important thing to do before leaving the states (nyc)

things you forgot? so I may not! Things to buy before I come over, etc. etc.
(#19 (permalink))
Old
Sangetsu (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

05-29-2008, 09:10 AM

You can find good deodorant at the American Pharmacy stores in Ginza or Marunouchi. The one in Marunouchi is located in the B1 level of the Marunouchi building (Maru-Biru) adjacent to Tokyo Station.
(#20 (permalink))
Old
tommasi (Offline)
West Tokyo Native

05-29-2008, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Yea, that's what ossan smells like.

Kareishu (加齢臭) is the correct term and there's not much you could do about it.

Japanese Summer is very humid and for those who work in sales have to walk around for whole day.

I think someone could seriously make money selling Western deodorant over the Internet or something since so many people feel like it's hard to get in Japan.