JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Pashy (Offline)
New to JF

Looking for help with japan trip for March 08 - 05-19-2008, 03:06 PM

Hi Folks

Firstly I am new here so please be nice hehe.

I have heard that this forum isa good place for advice on trips to japan as there are many seasoned people here.

Myself and two friends are plnning to goto Japan at the end of March next year for 3 weeks (21 days). We have been planning since February but have become unsure of a few things.

Trip Plan:

Tokyo Area

Arrive in Tokyo (last week in march)
4 days in Tokyo
1 day at Nikko
1 day at Kamakura
1 day Hakone/Fuji Area

From Tokyo head to Nagoya and from there up to Takayama for 2 - 3 days

From Takayama back to Nagoya and on to Kyoto.

Kyoto Area

Kyoto 7 days
This includes Osaka and and Nara

Travel west to Hiroshima 2 days.

From Hiroshima head back to Tokyo to arrive day before we fly out.

I am wandeirng if anyone has any comments or sugegstions regarding these places. Are they worth going to or maybe not doable etc?

We do have ideas of what we wish to visit at each place but I wont list them hehe

We are flying from the UK and have researched all the appropriate visa stuff etc.

The main problems we are having is we are not sure how to go about finding accomodation and what we should be looking for. I have read a couple of travel guides but putting them into practice is something I am unsure about.

The other issue ia no one is sure how much money would be needed for such a trip in Japan. We have flights marked at £500 return form London. But it is the budget that we should set aside for accomodation food etc that is puzzling us. We took a rough guess at £2000 as being a reasonable sounding number but we are worried this isnt enough each. Does anyone have any advice or opinions on how we can handle this question? and if so what are good tips for planning and badgeting for a trip to japan.

I would be grateful for any advice on these issues as they are causing worries about the trip.

Thank you kindly for any advice

Paul
(#2 (permalink))
Old
chachava (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Send a message via MSN to chachava
05-19-2008, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pashy View Post
We took a rough guess at £2000 as being a reasonable sounding number but we are worried this isnt enough each. Does anyone have any advice or opinions on how we can handle this question? and if so what are good tips for planning and badgeting for a trip to japan.
If that has to include accommodation, double it
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Pashy (Offline)
New to JF

05-20-2008, 02:42 PM

What even for low price accomodation?
(#4 (permalink))
Old
godwine (Offline)
自爆十秒前

05-20-2008, 03:22 PM

My estimate is always 200-250 a day.. give or take.. so do the math and you can figure it out
(#5 (permalink))
Old
chachava (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Send a message via MSN to chachava
05-20-2008, 03:30 PM

Quote:
What even for low price accomodation?
Yeah, travel is gonna cut into a big chunk as well if you plan on moving all over Japan. Maybe doubling is a little excessive, but I think the original amount will definately have you running into problems before you leave...I guess that could be solved by having a few 'beach days' though?
(#6 (permalink))
Old
Scoob94P (Offline)
JF Regular

05-20-2008, 03:52 PM

good luck with your trip! Hope it all goes well
(#7 (permalink))
Old
Pashy (Offline)
New to JF

05-20-2008, 04:15 PM

Firstly godwine is that pounds or dollars you quoting 250 a day for? I am shocked at that number :S

Well we are each getting a japan rail pass before we leave as well. THis will cut down the travel expenses a bit will it not? We intend to activate the rail pass once we leave Tokyo to Nagoya.

Scouring through japanican.com for accomodation we are looking to stay in low budget accomodation nothing fancy just somewhere to sleep for the time we are there and to leave our luggage. Low bugdet hotels seem to range form 7600 - 9800 yen per person. The main problem is we dont really want to be carting our luggage on day trips hehe.

Is there maybe a cheaper alternative than low budget ryokan/hotels where it would feasable to leave luggage securely?

As for food I am not quite sure how expensive that is. I mean we dont intend to be eating in fancy restaurants etc. From Hosetek's guide it seems to each from 5 - 20 dollars for food depending on cheap places you eat etc. I guess the same can be said for places like Kyoto?

Btw guys thankyou for the advice so far

Last edited by Pashy : 05-20-2008 at 04:19 PM.
(#8 (permalink))
Old
godwine (Offline)
自爆十秒前

05-20-2008, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Firstly godwine is that pounds or dollars you quoting 250 a day for? I am shocked at that number :S

Well we are each getting a japan rail pass before we leave as well. THis will cut down the travel expenses a bit will it not? We intend to activate the rail pass once we leave Tokyo to Nagoya.

Scouring through japanican.com for accomodation we are looking to stay in low budget accomodation nothing fancy just somewhere to sleep for the time we are there and to leave our luggage. Low bugdet hotels seem to range form 7600 - 9800 yen per person. The main problem is we dont really want to be carting our luggage on day trips hehe.

Is there maybe a cheaper alternative than low budget ryokan/hotels where it would feasable to leave luggage securely?

As for food I am not quite sure how expensive that is. I mean we dont intend to be eating in fancy restaurants etc. From Hosetek's guide it seems to each from 5 - 20 dollars for food depending on cheap places you eat etc. I guess the same can be said for places like Kyoto?

Btw guys thankyou for the advice so far
That will be US$, i don't know what is the equiv. for pound. That will include all means of transportation, inclufing your flight and hotel

I spent 3K for 2 weeks, not including souvenir, which is an item that you can easily adjust the spending on
(#9 (permalink))
Old
Pashy (Offline)
New to JF

05-20-2008, 05:18 PM

Flight are looking to be £500 return

Rail pass is about £250 but it is purchased before going.

Excluding flights, hotels and the rail pass. What is a good amount for general eating and visting some paid attractions?
(#10 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

05-20-2008, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Flight are looking to be £500 return

Rail pass is about £250 but it is purchased before going.

Excluding flights, hotels and the rail pass. What is a good amount for general eating and visting some paid attractions?
I think £2000, (about $4000) should be enough. Ryokan are notoriously not cheap. Train stations have lockers you can stash luggage in for a day.