JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
delusionsofgrandeur (Offline)
New to JF

Question Vintage shopping in Japan - 05-20-2008, 11:07 AM

Hey there
I just booked a ticket to Japan today, leaving in 3 weeks, rather spur of the moment which will be oh so much fun!
Just wondering if there's much in the way of vintage shopping or thrift stores? I've read there are some used clothing stores around harajuku, but if anybody could expand and give me any tips that would be amazing.
Thanks in advance!
(#2 (permalink))
Old
godwine (Offline)
自爆十秒前

05-20-2008, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delusionsofgrandeur View Post
Hey there
I just booked a ticket to Japan today, leaving in 3 weeks, rather spur of the moment which will be oh so much fun!
Just wondering if there's much in the way of vintage shopping or thrift stores? I've read there are some used clothing stores around harajuku, but if anybody could expand and give me any tips that would be amazing.
Thanks in advance!
What are you looking to purchase? What do you mean "Vintage Shopping"? Anything that have any history or cultural significance (like Kimono, Katana etc) are usually expensive, there are exceptions, but we need to know what you are looking for first.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

05-20-2008, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delusionsofgrandeur View Post
Hey there
Thanks in advance!
Vintage clothing stores are common and popular in shopping districts (I am thinking like Ame-mura in Osaka) but don't expect to find bargains there. I don't think I have ever seen a Goodwill type store, where donated clothes are sold at a discount. I know Japanese that come to the US to go bargain hunting, and then sell their clothes at "vintage" prices in Japan.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
kyo_9 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Send a message via Yahoo to kyo_9
05-20-2008, 06:02 PM

it is very hard to bargain prices here in Japan.. if you really want to bargain, I advice you to bring along some japanese friends.. talking based on my experience.. huhuhu

LiVe Ur LiFe
Don't do drugs!

(#5 (permalink))
Old
Sangetsu (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

05-22-2008, 03:01 PM

Look for "Hobby Off" stores. They are something like a cross between a thrift store and a pawn shop, but they carry many very nice things. You can find anything from used jeans to antique kimonos to Louis Vuiton bags and Rolex watches.